P3A always turns left after stick is centered
1116 13 2018-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

My son has a P3A that he bought new, and has very little flight time on it. Never crashed, and has latest firmware, app etc. It is probably 1 1/2 years old, and is always stored in case. He complained to me that we he flies it, it always turns to the left after he releases the sticks. I told him to bring it by so I go take a look at it. I have calibrated IMU, calibrated the compass, calibrates the sticks on the RC. I have even tried my RC on it, and it does the same thing. Whenever you fly it, no matter if you turn right or left and let go of the sticks, it will always rotate about 5 degrees to the left. Never to the right. Flies great, just when you stop to shoot a photo, it always makes that little jog to the left, so you have to give it a touch to the right and you have to go past so that when it does it's thing it will have you object centered on the screen. Just a real pain. Anybody have any idea what this could be? I really thought is was the RC, but like I said I tried a different one and exactly the same thing. I have no problem taking a look inside, but not looking to find any loose wires or plugs. I'm thinking it must be something internal, but not sure what actually makes the aircraft stay steady, maybe something inside the controller on the main board? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
2018-2-12
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Sounds like maybe a compass related problem.  Sometimes as they age, some weird things happen.
2018-2-12
Use props
Phil-France
New
France

Hello,
Need maybe RC calibration ?
2018-2-12
Use props
Chris_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6142 ft
United Kingdom

I would personally recalibrate the transmitter and go from there..
2018-2-12
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

Chris_A Posted at 2018-2-12 14:44
I would personally recalibrate the transmitter and go from there..

I have done that a couple of times without any success. Thanks though.
2018-2-12
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-2-12 13:41
Sounds like maybe a compass related problem.  Sometimes as they age, some weird things happen.

I'm thinking you may have something here. I have an extra set of landing gear I could swap out. Not a big thing, just pop the top off and swap. That kind of makes sense. Nothing to lose anyway. Thanks Alabama.
2018-2-12
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-2-12 15:04
I'm thinking you may have something here. I have an extra set of landing gear I could swap out. Not a big thing, just pop the top off and swap. That kind of makes sense. Nothing to lose anyway. Thanks Alabama.

Had one doing the same thing.  Replaced compass, and it worked.  Easy fix.
2018-2-12
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Is it the whole aircraft twitching to the left, or is it just the camera (independent of the direction the aircraft is facing)?
2018-2-13
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

The drone moves the left. Camera is fine.
2018-2-13
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

Update:
I swapped out the compass with what I thought was a good used one. Still does the same movement to the left. Looked at the motors and thought maybe one was a bit rougher that the rest, so I swapped it out for another used one, thinking maybe it might not be putting out like it should. Back together and no difference. Guess I will tell my son to just live with it for now. It flies good and other than that jog to the left every time, you couldn't ask for anything better. Guess whatever it is might show up at some point, but for now just going to live with it. Thanks for the suggestions.
2018-2-13
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-2-13 04:37
The drone moves the left. Camera is fine.

If you get a chance, can you upload a short video showing the behaviour?  Perhaps it will help identify the problem.  It would also be helpful if you include the controller in shot and upload the flight data as well.
2018-2-14
Use props
AerOps
lvl.2

France

Hello, IMU calibration was done on a horizontal flat surface ?
2018-2-14
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

endotherm Posted at 2018-2-14 01:41
If you get a chance, can you upload a short video showing the behaviour?  Perhaps it will help identify the problem.  It would also be helpful if you include the controller in shot and upload the flight data as well.

Good suggestion endotherm. I will try and do that.
2018-2-14
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

AerOps Posted at 2018-2-14 02:48
Hello, IMU calibration was done on a horizontal flat surface ?

Yes it was on flat surface. I have actually tried this a couple of times with no improvements. Thanks.
2018-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules