Mavic Air processor chip overheating
21659 30 2018-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
transistor
New
United States

I flew my Mavic Air a few times about a week ago with no problems, but I turned it on today and while I was taking my time adjusting all the settings, I got an alert saying that the "processor chip critically overheated". I realized that I never heard the cooling fan turn on. Any idea why this might have happened? I have the latest firmware. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

2018-2-12
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

Your cooling fan might not be working. To test that turn the Air on (don't start it!) and hold the fan intakes shut for some minutes. the internal temperature should rise then and trigger the fan. (Maybe the DJI app also gives you an overview on the internal temperature; you may also use a normal thermometer like used in cooking or for fevers that you keep near the intakes). If the temp steadily rises and the does not start then you probably need a replacement.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

achim1989 Posted at 2018-2-12 22:41
Your cooling fan might not be working. To test that turn the Air on (don't start it!) and hold the fan intakes shut for some minutes. the internal temperature should rise then and trigger the fan. (Maybe the DJI app also gives you an overview on the internal temperature; you may also use a normal thermometer like used in cooking or for fevers that you keep near the intakes). If the temp steadily rises and the does not start then you probably need a replacement.

This at least triggers the fan with my MP
2018-2-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. Please shoot a video about the situation for further check. Please tell me the firmware of your drone. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-13
Use props
Kacers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 159613 ft
Czechia

Hello, maybe simillar problem.. at least the same warning about overheating ( ...
Mavic air overheating
2018-2-13
Use props
fans8bb7def5
New
Australia

I've got the same thing happening. I've had it a week, and flown it a few times. Then I let it do a firmware update and now it's overheating with no fan sound. So I think the firmware update has killed it. It overheats immediately so if another update comes out that might fix it I won't be able to apply it. It was fun for the very short time it lasted. Now I have a very expensive lump of useless plastic accompanying me on a trip through the Australia outback
2018-3-6
Use props
fanse8d0d910
New

Vietnam

fans8bb7def5 Posted at 2018-3-6 20:19
I've got the same thing happening. I've had it a week, and flown it a few times. Then I let it do a firmware update and now it's overheating with no fan sound. So I think the firmware update has killed it. It overheats immediately so if another update comes out that might fix it I won't be able to apply it. It was fun for the very short time it lasted. Now I have a very expensive lump of useless plastic accompanying me on a trip through the Australia outback

Same exact problem here.  Carrying this useless POS all over southeast Asia.  Died on me yesterday.
2018-3-8
Use props
djiuser_HEdaldDJc9Kt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 152119 ft
United States

Having same problem too. Fan not working. Just 2 weeks old. Has anyone found a fix???
2018-3-24
Use props
djiuser_KUKeRQqq9vfj
lvl.1
United States

I am having the same problem. Trying to get ahold of support.
2018-3-26
Use props
Rappal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 107635 ft
Italy

Same with my mavic pro, is a problem of dji, I think is also due to dji go app.
2018-3-28
Use props
sliver88
New

Philippines

experienced this a few hours ago. hope the admins can helps us out. i cant take off. the processor overheats
2018-3-28
Use props
JujuFlyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48323 ft
Philippines

Same issue here on 2018 04 03 on a trip in Philippines. I kept the drone in a 26 degrees bedroom all night and when starting it in the morning i got this error message. Real overheating or product defect? Any of you managed to resolve that issue?
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, all. Please connect the drone with DJI Assistant 2 and provide the system log for further check. You can upload it to dropbox and googles. Please keep us updated if there is anything wrong.
2018-4-2
Use props
fans5eef4856
lvl.1
United States

Hey you guys I had the same problem I fly many DJI Drones for years hear me out I solved it.... This is what happened no joke I put in a request to send back to DJI for repair or replacement. The day before I send back I turned it on one more time to see if it would work because honestly just like all of you here I barely used this MAVIC AIR and it started to overheat processor. The reason is that the FAN is not turning on anymore its stuck so therefore your drone is not getting air to cool down so the drone can take off and not have any problems.

SOLVED: This is what I did... First turn on your drone let the red lights come on with the error. Then I started hitting the TOPSIDE with the palm of my hand where all the heat is coming from. What did it is I turned the drone upside down and hit it on the palm of my hand pretty hard the RED Lights immediately turned off and went yellow the fan kicked in loudly after. I then let it sit for a while the initial error went away. I turned the drone off and on the fan is working the error is officially gone. So I suggest hit the TOP SIDE of your drone the opposite side of the camera. This is where all the heat was coming from with my drone and this is the fan I think is located. For whatever reason the fan is not kicking on and it needs come banging. Id rather do this if i'm traveling and such don't have time to send it back sometimes these highend electronics need some banging around to come back to life.
2018-4-5
Use props
darrc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5558 ft
Singapore

So from your 'fix', it appears the fan is of poor quality with questionable bearings .....anyone know what is the brand and model of the fan? They can just learn from the computer makers, tons of good quality fan brands.
2018-4-5
Use props
Blupo11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144180 ft
United States

fans5eef4856 Posted at 2018-4-5 14:08
Hey you guys I had the same problem I fly many DJI Drones for years hear me out I solved it.... This is what happened no joke I put in a request to send back to DJI for repair or replacement. The day before I send back I turned it on one more time to see if it would work because honestly just like all of you here I barely used this MAVIC AIR and it started to overheat processor. The reason is that the FAN is not turning on anymore its stuck so therefore your drone is not getting air to cool down so the drone can take off and not have any problems.

SOLVED: This is what I did... First turn on your drone let the red lights come on with the error. Then I started hitting the TOPSIDE with the palm of my hand where all the heat is coming from. What did it is I turned the drone upside down and hit it on the palm of my hand pretty hard the RED Lights immediately turned off and went yellow the fan kicked in loudly after. I then let it sit for a while the initial error went away. I turned the drone off and on the fan is working the error is officially gone. So I suggest hit the TOP SIDE of your drone the opposite side of the camera. This is where all the heat was coming from with my drone and this is the fan I think is located. For whatever reason the fan is not kicking on and it needs come banging. Id rather do this if i'm traveling and such don't have time to send it back sometimes these highend electronics need some banging around to come back to life.

Thanks for the suggestion and great story but it didn’t work for me. After banging on the top side occasionally the red light turned green and in a few seconds turned back to red. I never heard the fan go on so I’d say you got lucky. Thanks again
2018-4-23
Use props
TropicDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137789 ft
Réunion

Having same problem too ! Fan not working.  Overheating message
10 flight only !!
Poor fan quality ?
The Mavic Air refuse to fly.!!
2018-4-29
Use props
MARZOTRECE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2402 ft
Philippines

Same problem with my mavic air, processor chip overheating. I brought back my unit to the store and until now, the unit is still with them. MA is just a week old with me and they said i have to wait from dji. So upset.
Screenshot_2018-04-27-22-34-52.jpg
2018-5-7
Use props
PJski
New
Poland

Same issue here.  My biggest concern however, is having to contact DJI 'support'.  This is my first drone.  I spent nearly 2 months (true story) learning about the drone, how to operate it, best practices, how to store it, proper care, etc, before taking my first flight.  I don't think there's any rookie out there, who took preparation more seriously than I did.  I've since been flying it without any in-flight issues, no 'near misses' etc.  

However, about 2 months ago, one of the 3 batteries I got with the "Fly more combo" turned out to be faulty.  Maybe, 5-6 flights in, one of the batteries, upon insertion, gives me an error (Cannot Take Off, Check battery, etc).  I've documented this via a private video, seen here:  

Despite this, DJI 'support' essentially ignored the issue, by sending me standard/generic cut/paste responses that provided zero solution or accountability for what is demonstrably a faulty battery.  Having done research on this, there are many others with the same issue.  My latest message to them regarding the issue, has been unanswered, and the ticket remains 'open' with no response from them for about one month now.

Alas, you can see my hesitation to reach out to their 'support' team again.  And yet, it seems I need to.  Yesterday, the issue outlined above happened to me as well.  Chip overheating error, as soon as I start the drone cold.  Out of the case, battery in, power on, light is RED entire time, and remote instantly gives me the chip overheating + barometer warnings.  Of course, I turned it off within 10 seconds or so, took out the battery, and felt how massively hot the drone is.  Within maybe 30 seconds of putting the battery in, and turning it on, the thing get massively hot.  I suspect, the fan isn't turning on.  I can also confirm, I had just updated to the latest firmware prior to this taking place.  

Add to this, the gimball appears to calibrate itself with a little more fervor than it has in the past (a sharp/aggressive jolt to the top, then to the bottom, before leveling out, facing forwards).  Doesn't seem or sound healthy.

As a result of this overheating issue- I fear turning it on again.  The suggestion by a DJI assistant, while kind in nature, doesn't appear to be wise:  if, as it appears, this is an issue related to the fan not turning on, caused by latest firmware, we're looking at a very real possibility of these chips overheating, long before any update/fix can be downloaded and applied to a turned on drone.

To make matters worse (at least, for me, and anyone else in my region), I presently live in Switzerland (not exactly a third world country), and DJI's last response to me was essentially "sorry, we don't serve your area".   If you sell the product in 'my area' then you have a legal obligation to your consumers to also serve that area - I'm quite confident Switzerland has very clear legislation on the matter, but I'll be happy to confirm with an attorney, should the need arise.  I'm going to attempt to have DJI provide a working resolution ( promptly this time) on this issue. I've let the faulty battery issue go (bought two extras...).  

However, if, this time around, they again elect to s**t on me, they can be assured, I will be contacting an attorney.  This level of negligence, both in terms of releasing potentially fatal firmware- and, by electing to neglect fixing faulty hardware- can lead to crashes, damage on the ground, or injury.   Even a rookie lawyer would have a field day with a company who fails to address issues that are potentially this serious.

I will be contacting DJI again shortly to see how they intend to resolve this issue.  If they will again elect to neglect this issue as they have the defective battery issue in the past, I'll have no reservations about hiring someone to whom they'll have no choice but to respond to.   I've also toyed with the idea of doing a proper review video (consider it a public service), not only of the Mavic Air, but- more importantly, the 'service' behind the product (I still have every generic canned response from them to my previous issue with the defective battery).  Once I see how this turns out, I might go ahead and put one together.  I don't think DJI fully understands the effect that one, properly edited, witty, negative YouTube review can have, backed by screen shots of the reported issues, and excerpts from their own representatives, effectively telling customers to get lost when reporting hardware failure on a nearly new product.

2018-6-17
Use props
djiuser_vMYXv8TZWefr
New
Flight distance : 13740 ft
United States

Have the same problem. Sensor overheating. Flew my mavic air this morning. This afternoon it overheated. Took out the battery let it cool down. Tried new battery no luck try tapping on the top where the heat was coming from to free the fan nothing happened. Have had two other problems since I've owned the drone for the past 3 weeks but DJI was able to solve the problems over the phone unfortunately they're not open on Saturdays and Sundays so I'm stuck right now.
2019-1-5
Use props
djiuser_vMYXv8TZWefr
New
United States

up Date... Had the same problem where the fan was not working and drone was over heating. I went on YouTube most of the people were taking the covers off the drone and vacuuming the motor. I took my drone turned it upside down camera facing the floor and tapped and tapped and tapped and tapped the back there was a few granules of sand that came out. After about three minutes of tapping I took my hair blower and blow it out and low and behold it started right up  and the fan started to work so I think sometimes you may get a couple granules of sand or something stuck in the motor might be worth trying this method.
2019-1-5
Use props
djiuser_vMYXv8TZWefr
New
United States

up Date... Had the same problem where the fan was not working and drone was over heating. I went on YouTube most of the people were taking the covers off the drone and vacuuming the motor. I took my drone turned it upside down camera facing the floor and tapped and tapped and tapped and tapped the back there was a few granules of sand that came out. After about three minutes of tapping I took my hair blower and blow it out and low and behold it started right up  and the fan started to work so I think sometimes you may get a couple granules of sand or something stuck in the motor might be worth trying this method.
2019-1-5
Use props
BlueDragon
New
Singapore

I bought my Mavic air for just over a month. I had two flights with no issue. Today while I worked on my camera setting of the drone inside my house, I got this processor chip overheated msg. I let the drone cooled down for more than 2 hours and tried to take out for a flight and received the same overheating msg.  I note that most of this similar issue occurred last year.
Anybody with a recent similar incident and have newer suggestion than taking out the cover and cleaning the fan?
Will the DJI warranty be void by my removal of the screws for the drone top cover, to access the fan?
2019-5-1
Use props
Roel Cuijpers
New

Iceland

Hey you guys I had the same problem I fly many DJI Drones for years hear me out I solved it.... This is what happened no joke I put in a request to send back to DJI for repair or replacement. The day before I send back I turned it on one more time to see if it would work because honestly just like all of you here I barely used this MAVIC AIR and it started to overheat processor. The reason is that the FAN is not turning on anymore its stuck so therefore your drone is not getting air to cool down so the drone can take off and not have any problems.

SOLVED: This is what I did... First turn on your drone let the red lights come on with the error. Then I started hitting the TOPSIDE with the palm of my hand where all the heat is coming from. What did it is I turned the drone upside down and hit it on the palm of my hand pretty hard the RED Lights immediately turned off and went yellow the fan kicked in loudly after. I then let it sit for a while the initial error went away. I turned the drone off and on the fan is working the error is officially gone. So I suggest hit the TOP SIDE of your drone the opposite side of the camera. This is where all the heat was coming from with my drone and this is the fan I think is located. For whatever reason the fan is not kicking on and it needs come banging. Id rather do this if i'm traveling and such don't have time to send it back sometimes these highend electronics need some banging around to come back to life.

I’m traveling around iceland and brought my mavic air. Main reason I bought it was to get some nice shots out here. Today I wanted to take it up for a spin to get some nice mars looking shots. “Firmware update” had to be applied. So i let the drone and remote do their thing. After the update i get a warning. Chip overheated. Never had this before. Tried turning it on and off. Different batteries. Nada. Let it cool down and tried two more times. Nada. Read this post about hitting and shaking it. And, not kidding here guys, it worked! The fan is running again and i flew a test run. Working fine. Let it sit for a while and turned it on and off again and it is still working. Normally i’d brought it back to DJI but now I cant because im traveling and want them nice shots! Thanks again for your weird solution! ❤️
2019-6-7
Use props
fans0d81e9be
lvl.1
Spain

I had exactly the same problem as above, processor over heating, fan nock kicking in on start up.After reading this thread, gave is three form whacks on the back end while turned on and it fired up the fan. Turned it off and on again and it’s working as should be. Must be sensitive to dust or sand as mentioned above. I’m a bit worried about it while it’s up there now though! Thanks for the advice and this should defo be your first port of call before going in to dís-assembling!
2019-10-20
Use props
djiuser_cIZqd74fXx1V
New

Israel

I am having the exact same issue.

I sent two support requests but didn't get any response. My drone is brand new, and it's a bit frustrating.

Could someone from DJI get back to me on this?
2019-10-21
Use props
fans231d164d
New

Indonesia

I managed to fix it!

Bought my Mavic Air in January 2019 and got this error for no specific reason in November 2019. I went through the thread and got the idea to open the drone. It wasnt easy but wasnt too difficult either. I put on the drone and the ventilator wasnt moving. I moved it manually for a minute and it started working! Now the drone is fine. I recommend trying that.
2019-11-15
Use props
djiuser_geJaBJ0V4anq
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2349 ft
Italy

I am having the exact same issue.  after following youtube video i was able to open the cover and clean. Now is working again
2020-2-22
Use props
djiuser_qSMuEHXNSqV0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2616407 ft
United States

First of all I'm impressed with the mavic Air 2 no doubt about it it is a high-tech little piece of technology flying through this sky but today for no reason the processor fan stopped working. I got a warning on my phone when trying to take off saying processor chip overheating and that got me curious enough to pull the battery out and it felt a little warm so I left it out for about 30 minutes and then put it back in and got the same warning so that's when I noticed that the processor fan was not working so I blew into the side of the vent hole and the fan started turning again although it sounded as if it was struggling it started working and the warning signal went away so I launched it and just let it hover about five feet off the ground in front of me and it didn't give me the warning signal anymore but I'm sure this problem is not resolved so if anybody else has had this issue please reach out to DJ I so they will have to address it and fix it besides that's just good business..
2021-5-16
Use props
KrAhS77
New

Australia

Have the same issue after a big crash. As others mentioned before looked for videos online on how to repair the fan. I disabled the drone and cleaned the fan. It's, not brain surgery if you have the tools. After everything works fine, if not then you need to buy a fan from eBay for $40 and chnage it.
2021-7-4
Use props
gazza258
New

United Kingdom

Hey you guys I had the same problem I fly many DJI Drones for years hear me out I solved it.... This is what happened no joke I put in a request to send back to DJI for repair or replacement. The day before I send back I turned it on one more time to see if it would work because honestly just like all of you here I barely used this MAVIC AIR and it started to overheat processor. The reason is that the FAN is not turning on anymore its stuck so therefore your drone is not getting air to cool down so the drone can take off and not have any problems.

SOLVED: This is what I did... First turn on your drone let the red lights come on with the error. Then I started hitting the TOPSIDE with the palm of my hand where all the heat is coming from. What did it is I turned the drone upside down and hit it on the palm of my hand pretty hard the RED Lights immediately turned off and went yellow the fan kicked in loudly after. I then let it sit for a while the initial error went away. I turned the drone off and on the fan is working the error is officially gone. So I suggest hit the TOP SIDE of your drone the opposite side of the camera. This is where all the heat was coming from with my drone and this is the fan I think is located. For whatever reason the fan is not kicking on and it needs come banging. Id rather do this if i'm traveling and such don't have time to send it back sometimes these highend electronics need some banging around to come back to life.

i did the same, slapped its backside hard a few times, working fine again now, thanks for the tip
2022-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules