Knowledge test in Australia
2175 15 2018-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Greg Glasson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284843 ft
Australia

Any ideas about this? Will it be something we only have to do once, or every time we want to fly? It says it has been introduced in other countries... what have US / UK flyers experienced?

DJI Introduces Knowledge Quiz for Drone Pilots in Australia

Quiz Reinforces DJI’s Long Commitment To Improving Drone Safety And Promoting Safer Skies

DJI, the world’s leader in civilian drones and aerial imaging technology, is introducing a knowledge quiz this Wednesday for pilots operating DJI drones in the Australian airspace.

The DJI Knowledge Quiz will require pilots to answer a series of basic questions correctly about safe drone use before their next flight. The quiz is based on the Civil Aviation Safety Authority’s (CASA) rules and regulations, and is the company's latest effort to help drone users learn and demonstrate understanding of some basic safety rules before taking their drones to the skies.

“As drones become more portable, intelligent and accessible, we expect to see more enthusiasts using this technology at home, on their travels and as a complementary tool for their work,” said Adam Welsh, Head of Asia Pacific Public Policy at DJI. “The majority of pilots fly safely and responsibly but DJI has taken this step so that new drone pilots have an opportunity to learn and understand some simple safety rules as part of their first flying experience.”

Starting tomorrow, pilots connecting their aircraft to the DJI GO or DJI GO 4 app will be presented with nine questions and must correctly answer all of them in order to be able to fly. Pilots can continue answering questions until they successfully pass the DJI Knowledge Quiz. Overseas users will also be prompted to take the quiz when they connect to DJI’s flight apps in Australia.

“CASA welcomes the release of the DJI Knowledge Quiz,” said Luke Gumley, Branch Manager, Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems at CASA. “It will help new DJI drone owners understand the recreational drone rules in Australia. CASA supports efforts by manufacturers like DJI that develop innovative solutions such as the Knowledge Quiz, and assist drone owners to know their responsibilities as a recreational drone pilot and how to operate their drone safely.”

DJI first launched the knowledge quiz in the United States, followed by the United Kingdom last year, with support from both the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). The knowledge quiz will be expanded to other countries in the near future, with questions customised to be aligned with each country’s local rules and guidelines.

2018-2-12
Use props
AussieDiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26568 ft
Australia

I wonder whether we will have to have the drone powered up and connected to do the quiz?
2018-2-12
Use props
Greg Glasson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284843 ft
Australia

AussieDiver Posted at 2018-2-12 22:26
I wonder whether we will have to have the drone powered up and connected to do the quiz?

I presume so because I can't get into DJI Go 4 unless I have the RC or Spark connected... I am also wondering if this is something we have to do every time we fly... or every time we update the app... or every time we install the app on a new device... or every time we buy a new DJI drone?
2018-2-12
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

We have that here in the United States.    I don't have my spark yet (it's coming today),  but I do fly my P3S frequently.

The quiz popped up after the DJI GO app refresh.   The quiz allows you to skip/bypass it a number of times,  but then you are forced to take the quiz.

It was very easy, and mostly related to rules/regs -- such as "what is the max height allowed to fly? (400ft here).".   I passed it 10 out of 10 on the first try.  

Sid
2018-2-13
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Very easy quiz, pops up with new DJI GO do it and it’s done, the app also allows you to reset it if you want to refresh your memory.
2018-2-13
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

So far I have only been asked to take the quiz one time.  It is not long and very easy.
2018-2-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Takes less than two minutes! Nice refresher if nothing else.
2018-2-13
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

I wonder if you have to update to the latest app.  I’m still on an older version after reading too many issues about the new version causing issues.   It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me....it is a bit nanny state, but we have pretty reasonable rules here in Australia.  My concern is that if too many people too stupid and dangerous things, they will start introducing laws to further restrict drone usage.   There are a couple of cities in Victoria that have already banned drone flying completely.
2018-2-13
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-2-13 12:21
I wonder if you have to update to the latest app.  I’m still on an older version after reading too many issues about the new version causing issues.   It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me....it is a bit nanny state, but we have pretty reasonable rules here in Australia.  My concern is that if too many people too stupid and dangerous things, they will start introducing laws to further restrict drone usage.   There are a couple of cities in Victoria that have already banned drone flying completely.

What cities in Victoria have banned drone flying?
2018-2-13
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm in the US and I've had to take the quiz 2 times.  Once on my existing Spark when they first introduced the quiz feature and then again the first time I tried to use my new Mavic Air.  I made a video about the quiz when I did it the first time.  You will see that the one for the US is quite easy.  For the purpose of the video, I marked an incorrect answer and it allowed me to change my answer to get the correct one.  It really isn't a big deal in my opinion as far as how it was implement here in the US.  However, who knows how they will implement it for other countries....  I would guess very similar, but I guess you never know.

2018-2-13
Use props
AboveNBeyond
lvl.2
Flight distance : 336473 ft
Australia

From what I've read, the quiz will pop up before you fly, however you will still be able to fly if you do not complete it. The quiz is 10 questions and if you get 100%, it will not pop up ever again. I completed a draft of the quiz this morning and passed with ease. It's all common knowledge to most pilots and can be easily found on the CASA website if you get stuck. Over in WA we've had a few idiots flying drones around aerial water bombers, and I guess this is a knee-jerk reaction to ensure everyone knows the rules before something serious occurs.
2018-2-13
Use props
Normanby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136601 ft
Australia

AboveNBeyond Posted at 2018-2-13 16:09
From what I've read, the quiz will pop up before you fly, however you will still be able to fly if you do not complete it. The quiz is 10 questions and if you get 100%, it will not pop up ever again. I completed a draft of the quiz this morning and passed with ease. It's all common knowledge to most pilots and can be easily found on the CASA website if you get stuck. Over in WA we've had a few idiots flying drones around aerial water bombers, and I guess this is a knee-jerk reaction to ensure everyone knows the rules before something serious occurs.

I read about this test on the ABC news site this morning and did the trial supplied there with 100%. I had previously printed the drone info from the CASA website when I bought the P3SE so I decided to see if I would get the test so did two flights with the Spark around my house area without being asked to do the test. Maybe it is being introduced gradually throughout Australia. May do a couple more flights later today.
2018-2-13
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

forbsie Posted at 2018-2-13 14:14

Ballarat was one of them, but can’t remember the other one.

Some of the commercial drone pilots were going to challenge the decision as it applied to them also.

This was about 3 months ago...haven’t checked the status since then
2018-2-14
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

forbsie Posted at 2018-2-13 14:14

Just googled it.  It looks like they backed down and said there will be more consultation.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/sto ... as-missed-the-mark/

So might have jumped the gun there. :-)
2018-2-14
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had to sit the UK test for each of my 5 machines. Just the once for each.
2018-2-14
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-2-14 01:55
Just googled it.  It looks like they backed down and said there will be more consultation.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/5122715/our-say-why-councils-new-drone-ban-has-missed-the-mark/

OK, thanks for the reply
2018-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules