Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

Sorry, we have news of a drone / helicopter crash from Kauai.  It looks like a white drone crashed into a tour helicopter.  No details yet but some information is provided on the infraction.

http://www.kitv.com/story/374893 ... helicopter-on-kauai

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Nothing like the heli that crashed in Grand Canyon yesterday, thankfully...
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/v ... nyon-kills-52999434

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not nice.
Especially since it is hard to track the owner in these cases.
I suppose it only takes time before we need to have some kind of registration and real time identification of the drone that is in the air.
2018-2-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-13 01:20
Not nice.
I suppose it only takes time before we need to have some kind of registration and real time identification of the drone that is in the air.

Aloha Montfrooij,

DJI is working on it with the FAA.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-13 01:20
Not nice.
I suppose it only takes time before we need to have some kind of registration and real time identification of the drone that is in the air.

In Canada, we are supposed to have our ID written plainly on the drone.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-13 01:53
In Canada, we are supposed to have our ID written plainly on the drone.

Yes, that is a starter.
But what if your drone gets caught up in the engine.
Not sure how that will turn out.
I am more thinking about some radio emitting beacon when in the air.
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cetacean Posted at 2018-2-13 01:46
Aloha Montfrooij,

DJI is working on it with the FAA.

Yes, it will go that way for sure.
2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-13 01:55
Yes, that is a starter.
But what if your drone gets caught up in the engine.
Not sure how that will turn out.

Caught up in the engine of what, another drone? Ha

Remember www.ercha.ca ? Yes...

The only engine is the diesel generator for supplying power for charging RC batteries.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-13 01:58
Caught up in the engine of what, another drone? Ha

Remember www.ercha.ca ? Yes...

Of te chopper / plane / whatever it was colliding with.
2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-13 02:31
Of te chopper / plane / whatever it was colliding with.

Oh no never, we don't play chicken.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-13 02:34
Oh no never, we don't play chicken.

Better not.
But that would ruin the id plate, making it useless.
2018-2-13
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I am sure such beacons will be coming here to the UK  if only in legislation form. The question of course remains as to whether the cost of such beacons will be so prohibitive that a whole new set of laws will start to be broken by the couldn't care less brigade. I would also hope that we drone pilots will be able to access the beacons too so that we know where the other flyers like paraglliders and the like are.
2018-2-13
Use props
djiuser_ULV1VdrHzc89
lvl.1
United States

I don't believe there was any indication that a drone was involved in the crash.. There were other crashes recorded and documented that exist by the same company and none of the other were drone related.
2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-13 02:47
Better not.
But that would ruin the id plate, making it useless.

Haha, yes, useless. Sort of like how it already is... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-13 12:42

Jup. That's the way it is.
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-13 12:42

Or I should say.
2018-2-13
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2887251 ft
United States

"A permanent working group would mirror what other states have done, as far as having all the stakeholders together constantly making recommendations and interfacing with the federal government," said McKelvey.   

Bureaucrat speak for, "We are desperately trying to find a way to outlaw drones in the beautiful state of HI..."

This has always been a curiosity for me; lets say the drone pilot kept VLOS, like he should in this instance. He sees the helo, yet in rare instances can you truly estimate where you are in relation to the manned air craft. This has happened to me several times. I see an air craft, but I am not sure where I am in relation to it. I have no real time radar or other instrumentation to aid me. I can only hope that staying at or below 400 ft. AGL and the manned aircraft staying above minimum required altitude of 1,000 feet keeps us apart. I wouldn't even know how to maneuver to avoid what I can't judge in relative space...
2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-13 12:49
Jup. That's the way it is.

And shall continue, for some time to come. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

He's a wonderful piano player and composer. Not a bad voice either. ;-)

Thanks for thinking of me. Ha

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-13 12:55
He's a wonderful piano player and composer. Not a bad voice either. ;-)

Thanks for thinking if me. Ha

2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I hope we never have a collision of drone and passenger aircraft, in my territory...

That would make things real strict, as if they aren't already. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-13 13:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2aMaMkDwTA

Yes, thanks. We are blessed with much good music.

Though Frank Zappa reigns supreme here.
Perhaps we need a music thread.

Not to hijack Kens post... Ok?

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Too many irresponsible and selfish UAV pilots out there. I say before you buy you have to get a license. These things are a danger to manned craft and people on the ground. Drones are a very useful and amazing tool, but I think it should be a privilege to fly. So many people buying from DJI don't have a clue about half of the guidelines from FAA. And the g'vt needs to pass a law regulating these things before more incidents like this occur.
2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

eman_vg Posted at 2018-2-13 14:03
Too many irresponsible and selfish UAV pilots out there. I say before you buy you have to get a license. These things are a danger to manned craft and people on the ground. Drones are a very useful and amazing tool, but I think it should be a privilege to fly. So many people buying from DJI don't have a clue about half of the guidelines from FAA. And the g'vt needs to pass a law regulating these things before more incidents like this occur.

At the very least RTFM & your specific local RC regulations.

Become proactive, and fly safe...

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What a bizarre non-news "story".
One sentence that says:
As a Blue Hawaiian Helicopter flew along the Na Pali coast Friday afternoon, a white drone hit the helicopter mid-flight.
...followed by a page of discussion about rules.
Details ???
Where did the drone hit the helicopter?    What damage was caused damage?
Photos?
Comment from the pilot?
A much more appropriate headline would read:
Questions (lots of them) remain after reading KITV news item.

Since Google can't find any other details of the alleged incident, we can only assume it didn't end in tragedy.

2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, we would expect much more, in the details department.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

BearDrone Posted at 2018-2-13 12:53
"A permanent working group would mirror what other states have done, as far as having all the stakeholders together constantly making recommendations and interfacing with the federal government," said McKelvey.   

Bureaucrat speak for, "We are desperately trying to find a way to outlaw drones in the beautiful state of HI..."

Aloha Bear,

Actually, it is even closer than that.  We stay below 400 feet and helicopters (and other manned aircraft) stay above 500 feet.  And in fact, helicopters have no regulatory minimum altitude since they can land most anywhere.  The only real altitude limitation helicopters have is if they fly too low and a complaint is filed and the hearing goes against the pilot, they can loose their license or be otherwise sanctioned.

My flying grounds are scenic mountain cliffs (called Pali in Hawai'ian).  Tourist helicopters are always buzzing the cliffs and mountain tops to give the tourists a nice flight.  Even circle island fixed wing pilots, putting in their hours, like to fly as close as 500 feet to the cliffs, ridges and mountain tops.  So, as a defense, my flying friend and I drop into the rocks ASAP when we see or hear those aircraft.  Even though we are within 400 feet of the structure (mountain ridge or cliff), the manned aircraft has the right-of-way.  

To do this, we use both VLOS and Camera View.  With the cliffs, at 1640 feet, there are really only two ways the aircraft can approach.  (To go straight into the cliffs, they would have to fly right over us and be real easy to detect.)  As soon as we hear the aircraft, we look to see if it is visible.  We have a lot of trees (since we are in a jungle) so VLOS to the intruding aircraft is not easy.  Without visual ID, we dive into the mountain.  

Diving into the mountain is where the Camera View is very useful.  With the collision avoidance sensors and VPS, we have a good supplement to Camera View.  The idea is to get close to the mountain, say within 100-50 feet.  The Camera View is used specifically to look at the closest part of the mountain we are flying toward.  We do not have to worry about the intruding aircraft.  They are not going to fly into the mountain, and if they do, a drone is not their problem!

So, there are resources available to you as a Phantom flier that can be used to help keep everyone healthy.  As soon as you hear an approaching aircraft, start dropping further into your safety zone, the lower parts of the 400 feet allowed for us to fly in.  After the aircraft passes, go back to what  you were doing.  If there are too many intruding aircraft for you to have an enjoyable flight, find another location to fly.  When flying in strange locations, try to stay at 300 feet.  This is high enough to allow privacy to those on the ground, that you did not know were there, yet below the 400 feet maximum altitude we are allowed to fly at, but may have intruding aircraft.  It is also closer to safety if you have to hit the deck quickly.  

This is just a general principle of attempted safe flying.  You can customize the basics to fit your specific flying area.  But to be successful, you have to think ahead about what are the normal conflicts in your flying area and then plan a strategy to reduce the conflict.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-13
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2887251 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-2-13 14:27
Aloha Bear,

Actually, it is even closer than that.  We stay below 400 feet and helicopters (and other manned aircraft) stay above 500 feet.  And in fact, helicopters have no regulatory minimum altitude since they can land most anywhere.  The only real altitude limitation helicopters have is if they fly too low and a complaint is filed and the hearing goes against the pilot, they can loose their license or be otherwise sanctioned.

Good points all around. Yes, we have to find a way to be safe and be compliant while still having the ability to enjoy this wonderful activity.

I'd love to see some of your footage of your flying grounds if you can post a link to it.

ATB,
2018-2-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-2-13 14:17
One sentence that says:
As a Blue Hawaiian Helicopter flew along the Na Pali coast Friday afternoon, a white drone hit the helicopter mid-flight.

Aloha Labroides,

The story is probably a plant due to the failure of Maui Rep. Angus McKelvey (D- Lahaina).  "McKelvey's bill did not make deadline to pass first reading, but he said he plans to re-introduce the measure in the future" (last line of the article).  I was tipped off about the bill but this happens every year, so I do not worry much about it (after I read the bill).

It is legislature season here, so these types of things happen in our media.  I will be looking further into it locally.  I find it suspicious, as you noted, but did not want to start the thread that way.  

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

BearDrone Posted at 2018-2-13 14:39
Good points all around. Yes, we have to find a way to be safe and be compliant while still having the ability to enjoy this wonderful activity.

I'd love to see some of your footage of your flying grounds if you can post a link to it.

Aloha ATB,

This is a link to my YouTube site;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIw23_mdDlaPwpCr2eMFlnw

I rarely upload videos because I have no music for them but those I have uploaded are there.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

One sentence that says:

Aloha Labroides,

Blue Hawaiian has an operation here on Oahu.  I put in a call and spoke with a representative but there may be no response.  Odd that there is no more information about a possible crash.  Still looking.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-13
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

One sentence that says:

Judging from the fact that international news picked up on the recent video of the drone in the flight path of a large passenger jet, and their lack of interest in an alleged collision between a drone and a manned helicopter... it would seem you’re not the only one thinking there’s not much to latch onto here. The only news about drones, outside of the recent Olympic swarm, is bad news. I get the feeling they’re hoping for a tragedy. Even though the local news here uses them regularly, they have nothing positive to say about them. There are thousands and thousands of them, everywhere all across the globe. The useless garbage that operate them dangerously, combined with reporters who scour YouTube drooling over anything that looks outrageous are going to kill this hobby (to me, profession to some) It makes me sick to my stomach every time I see a negative story here or on TV. IMHO, even posting it here has a negative effect.

Jeff
2018-2-13
Use props
bugbee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167556 ft

United States

Yes, I seen this story but don't know if the drone crashed or not.
2018-2-13
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-2-13 17:27
Judging from the fact that international news picked up on the recent video of the drone in the flight path of a large passenger jet, and their lack of interest in an alleged collision between a drone and a manned helicopter... it would seem you’re not the only one thinking there’s not much to latch onto here. The only news about drones, outside of the recent Olympic swarm, is bad news. I get the feeling they’re hoping for a tragedy. Even though the local news here uses them regularly, they have nothing positive to say about them. There are thousands and thousands of them, everywhere all across the globe. The useless garbage that operate them dangerously, combined with reporters who scour YouTube drooling over anything that looks outrageous are going to kill this hobby (to me, profession to some) It makes me sick to my stomach every time I see a negative story here or on TV. IMHO, even posting it here has a negative effect.

Jeff

I agree with you Jeff, what gets me is when some knuckle head does something stupid or dangerous with there drone and then puts it on YouTube for the world to see adding to the negativity people feel.  Take Care and Fly Safe.
2018-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RMJovo Posted at 2018-2-13 18:04
I agree with you Jeff, what gets me is when some knuckle head does something stupid or dangerous with there drone and then puts it on YouTube for the world to see adding to the negativity people feel.  Take Care and Fly Safe.

That Casey dunce, fits that mold.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

This looks like a manufactured story to me. Trump has a name for this sort of reporting.
2018-2-13
Use props
Loki007420
lvl.3
Flight distance : 128832 ft
United States

One sentence that says:

I was thinking the same thing,   Subject took a swift turn to faa rules
2018-2-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

One sentence that says:

Aloha Labroides,

This is getting interesting.  I am assisting the Blue Hawaiian people and learning plenty.  Email to come.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-2-13 17:27
Judging from the fact that international news picked up on the recent video of the drone in the flight path of a large passenger jet, and their lack of interest in an alleged collision between a drone and a manned helicopter... it would seem you’re not the only one thinking there’s not much to latch onto here. The only news about drones, outside of the recent Olympic swarm, is bad news. I get the feeling they’re hoping for a tragedy. Even though the local news here uses them regularly, they have nothing positive to say about them. There are thousands and thousands of them, everywhere all across the globe. The useless garbage that operate them dangerously, combined with reporters who scour YouTube drooling over anything that looks outrageous are going to kill this hobby (to me, profession to some) It makes me sick to my stomach every time I see a negative story here or on TV. IMHO, even posting it here has a negative effect.

Jeff

Aloha Jeff,

This incident is getting interesting.  More to come.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-13 19:47
This looks like a manufactured story to me. Trump has a name for this sort of reporting.

Aloha Geebax,

This is a real incident.  I am assisting the Blue Hawaiian people and learning plenty.  Email to come.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules