Osmo+ Timelapse longer than 1h?
4423 20 2018-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JockeSelin
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,

I've been in touch with DJI support and I can't extract an answer out of "Jane", so I turned to the forum, and I've been searching here but can't find any answer.

When I use my Osmo+ for timelapse I can't get it to shoot longer than 1h. If I do JPEG+Video all I can do is 2 second interval up to 1 hour. If I do JPEG only, I can do 1 second interval up to 1 hour. I'm using the iPhone or the iPad to control the Osmo+. As far as I can tell, all apps and firmware are at the latest version. I've tried the 32GB card that I normally use and another 64GB card - both are SanDisk Extreme PLUS. No change between them.

What do I need to do to get a longer timelapse than 1h? Is there a setting I've missed? Some hardware I need to use? Handstands? Rub my belly and pat my head?

Thanks!
2018-2-13
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

I used mine to record one for several hours.  I have never heard of this issue.

The only thing I can think of is that you are just not seeing it.  The length setting is on one of those digital “rollar rial” things, try swiping it in another direction to “spin it” to show you more options.  If you use an IPhone, it’s the same kind of “rollar” as when you set a time on your calendar.

If that doesn’t work: you must sacrifice a chicken, place it in a paper bag, then run outside in your underwear, swinging the bag over your head, while singing “I’m a little teacup,” it won’t fix your Osmo+, but it will at least be something entertaining for someone else to film.  Sadly, it seems to be about as effective, and a good deal less frustrating, than dealing with DJI Support these days.

Good luck to you, I’m sure the setting is there though, it was for me, if I remember correctly, I think mine maxes out at 2 hours.

Your other options are to just film multiple timelapses and put them together in post production, or take multiple videos and put them together in post production and also speed them up to whatever length you want your timelapse to be.

If you do you timelapse mode though, be sure to save all the individual image files so you can put together a REAL timelapse in post, because if you don’t, and just use the one the Go app puts together, it will only be in 720p.

Alternatively, you could also do the timelapse 100% manually, just like you would with a DSLR, you’ll need to use your phone as a remote controller and a stop watch to take the pictures at an even interval.  It’s lots of work, but it lets you get a timelapse in RAW format.

Don’t forget to use an external power adaptor though, because the battery, even the high capacity one, won’t last for a multi-hour timelapse.
2018-2-13
Use props
JockeSelin
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I should have attached the screenshot I took and sent to DJI Support. as you can see, the "2 hr" is red and the text on the "Next" button is grey (it's blue-ish when you can tap it).
I should also have said that I'm looking to do a motion timelapse (I can do regular timelapses using a variety of other - better? - cameras).

I know I can do timelapses other ways, and for example Litchi for Osmo can record longer - up to 5 hours - timelapses, but I found that the motion is absolutely rubbish. And I also use the DJI Media Maker app to get hi-res timelapses, and it works well (enough). I don't want to stitch them together using 1h limited timelapses as I need to watch the timelapse when the time changes - which is difficult if you're filming yourself doing something.

I have a power supply (made one myself from a DJI battery extender and a 12V 2A supply), but that hasn't changed anything - maybe the Osmo knows it's not a DJI power supply?!

So, I'm just wondering what are the prerequisites to get longer timelapses?! Got powersupply, got large memory card, etc... Still only 1h limit.
2018-2-14
Use props
AdZaM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

JockeSelin Posted at 2018-2-14 01:03
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I should have attached the screenshot I took and sent to DJI Support. [view_image] as you can see, the "2 hr" is red and the text on the "Next" button is grey (it's blue-ish when you can tap it).

I concur with jockeselin, In Timelapse mode I can record a maximum of 5hr, But when I switch to Motion Timelapse I can also only select 1hr.

2018-2-14
Use props
JockeSelin
lvl.1
United Kingdom

AdZaM Posted at 2018-2-14 03:00
I concur with jockeselin, In Timelapse mode I can record a maximum of 5hr, But when I switch to Motion Timelapse I can also only select 1hr.

Thanks for confirming this.

Such a wonderfully easy device to set up to do an amazing timelapse, and then this annoying restriction. I like to timelapse sunsets, and I want them to start way before the sunset and carry on beyond the blue hour into total darkness.

Thanks again!
2018-2-15
Use props
Bize
lvl.1
Flight distance : 913310 ft
South Africa

Try this setting - Wifi off - https://fstoppers.com/gear/using ... isting-users-120896
2018-8-13
Use props
JockeSelin
lvl.1

Bize Posted at 2018-8-13 00:54
Try this setting - Wifi off - https://fstoppers.com/gear/using-dji-osmo-hyperlapses-plus-substantial-firmware-update-existing-users-120896

If you're referring to this point:
[size=16.70400047302246px]1. Consumption reduced, increasing Osmo battery life to 90 minutes for a total recording time of 70 minutes (80 minutes with Wi-Fi off).

This has nothing to do with my issue. I have powered the Osmo+ from battery, from mains and from 12V (car) and the limitation is always 60 minutes for a 2second interval timelapse.

Still looking for a solution. Also looking for an automotive mode where the Osmo, instead of following the handle's panning, it goes ahead of the handle's panning motion. If you attach the Osmo to a car, and you turn into a corner, I want the Osmo to look into a corner, not away from the corner. Anyhoo, that's another issue.

Such a great device, so many limitations.

Thanks for your reply.
2018-8-13
Use props
AdZaM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Biz,
Appreciate the time you have taken to respond, However.....

The issue is not related to Battery consumption that limits Motion Time-lapse. Its that Motion Time-lapse only allows 1 hr Duration.

Normal Time-Lapse I can have a Duration of 5hr using a P4P+ Battery, Motion Time-lapse Is Limited to 1hr using the same Battery.

Therefore either the Software is limiting this or the firmware.......  Come On DJI. Can you please fix this issue.....

Hi Jockeselin,

Seems we are both still waiting for the same fix, I aslo feel the this is a great product with unessasary limitations.
2018-8-13
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

JockeSelin Posted at 2018-8-13 02:09
If you're referring to this point:
1. Consumption reduced, increasing Osmo battery life to 90 minutes for a total recording time of 70 minutes (80 minutes with Wi-Fi off).
[...]
Still looking for a solution. Also looking for an automotive mode where the Osmo, instead of following the handle's panning, it goes ahead of the handle's panning motion. If you attach the Osmo to a car, and you turn into a corner, I want the Osmo to look into a corner, not away from the corner. Anyhoo, that's another issue.

Capturing on a Car or in fact any moving object requires you to switch to "sports" mode to have it effectively track the movements since you want it to follow the movements of the car as fast as possible while not sacrificing the smoothness.

See:

You might end up in a situation where the movement isn't fast enough (first corner in the vid) but you can tweak this in the gimbal settings.
2018-8-13
Use props
JockeSelin
lvl.1

FntX Posted at 2018-8-13 02:24
Capturing on a Car or in fact any moving object requires you to switch to "sports" mode to have it effectively track the movements since you want it to follow the movements of the car as fast as possible while not sacrificing the smoothness.

See:https://youtu.be/SPL7G042wi0

Sounds like you've identified the problem. If I could simply lock the panning (right-left) motion, that would be good, but I'd like an "Automotive" mode which moves in the other direction to what it does now. I've sent DJI a support request about this, but before I had time to make a video the issue was closed, so I've not done anything about it.

Currently if I turn the handle to the right (clockwise), the gimbal stays in place and then "catches up" with the handle, moving to the right. I'd like the motion sensors in the gimbal to move before then handle, kind of like we move our heads before we turn. As far as I can tell, it should be possible, from at technical point of view. Sadly my programming skills are not in this area so I couldn't program such an app.

Thanks for your answer, I use sports mode when filming on the motorbike, but tracking isn't really working, because many times I'm not tracking, and there are other distractions too.
2018-8-13
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Germany

I don't think the gimbal can do that but it would be absolutely amazing if there was an option to simply lock specific axis. So you could lock the rotation and have the camera at least point at a fixed direction (which of course defeats the whole gimbal system but sometimes you just need that functionality)

I'd prefer a complete locking mechanism inside the app where I can choose which axis to lock.
If it's about cornering you need a slow working gimbal so it "traces" the corners slowly but on the open track it's important that the movement is quick or you'll end up with a lot of "sideways" motion blur which is annoying

So yeah I think there should be an "Automotive" profile to cover that in some way!
2018-8-13
Use props
JockeSelin
lvl.1

FntX Posted at 2018-8-13 06:30
I don't think the gimbal can do that but it would be absolutely amazing if there was an option to simply lock specific axis. So you could lock the rotation and have the camera at least point at a fixed direction (which of course defeats the whole gimbal system but sometimes you just need that functionality)

I'd prefer a complete locking mechanism inside the app where I can choose which axis to lock.

In the car, the rotational lock could be good, but it's pretty cool to have the Osmo inside the car and see the car move from side to side (body roll). On the motorbike I want to see the roll, as I want to have the horizon level and the motorbike move. And cornering is the cool bit so having the camera "lose focus" of the ride when taking an enthusiastic corner is quite annoying.

The Gimbal has got a motion sensor (I guess it has anyway) so I'd assume that it knows what's going on, and as such, instead of slowly following, I believe you could have a setting where you can adjust how much it would "look ahead" into a corner.
Just locking sideways movement would be better than sports mode.

Such a great camera, let down by a few settings and lousy battery life (and ease of connecting permanent power).

Cheers!

2018-8-13
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Germany

And there's still the issue that the gimbal drifts side to side and up and down which produces wobble in the final timelapse and requires post production to remove this effect. I didn't test this on the motion timelapse but I'm pretty sure if the engineers at DJI can make it happen sothat the gimbal drives can be locked in position, the issue would be gone. It would even help to cut power from the drives and have the camera fixed in position by some sort of 3D printed shim.

Back to the original problem you wrote about:
Is there -maybe- a correlation between the length of the lapse versus memory on the sdcard or even ironically the battery size? I could only think of these limitations.As far as I'm concerned I've built myself an adapter from the battery extender to a 12v power bank with 20000mAh to effectively have infinite runtime on the go and in my opinion the software shouldn't limit you to battery life since there is a possibility to get infinite or near-infinite battery life. If it cuts out mid-lapse, it's your fault anyway.... No data is even lost in the process.
2018-8-13
Use props
JockeSelin
lvl.1

FntX Posted at 2018-8-13 22:01
And there's still the issue that the gimbal drifts side to side and up and down which produces wobble in the final timelapse and requires post production to remove this effect. I didn't test this on the motion timelapse but I'm pretty sure if the engineers at DJI can make it happen sothat the gimbal drives can be locked in position, the issue would be gone. It would even help to cut power from the drives and have the camera fixed in position by some sort of 3D printed shim.

Back to the original problem you wrote about:

I normally have a 32GB Sandisk card in the Osmo+, I've tried it with a 64GB Sandisk card. No difference. The 60min time limit is constant, regardless of whether I use the extended battery (1225mAh) that came with the Osmo+, or if I use it powered by 12V from a car or motorcycle, or if I use a 12V mains adapter. I've bought one of those faux-batteries that DJI makes, and I've modified the cable to take power from either the vehicle or a normal mains-to-12V power adapter (note it needs quite a beefy one, so a small wall-wart won't work).

Still only 60 minutes at 2s interval in the timelapse; power source or memory card makes no difference. Such a shame.
2018-8-13
Use props
JockeSelin
lvl.1

This is sort of my set-up. I've created a connector on the cable from the faux-battery, and to that I can connect a) the original connector, b) a cigarette lighter socket (for car-use) c) a 12V mains power supply (or d) straight to the 12V connector I have on the bike anyway). It works really well, however, I suggest having a fully charged battery or starting the vehicle before powering up the Osmo because it might reboot due to the drop in power when cranking the engine.

I created this set-up so I could do more than 1h timelapses.
2018-8-13
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Germany

Okay so now I don't really understand why it's limited to 60 Minutes....
I'll give it a go tomorrow or so.
I could only think of a limitation that's related to the motion path and that it can't store a path which is stretched far beyond the 60 minutes mark. That would also explain why Litchi produces a non-satisfactory movement. But if the smartphone app is the driving factor, this argument would be of course invalid.

Nice work on the battery extender!

I've just modified it so I could plug in the power bank with a bog standard notebook socket so I could drive it with a car adapter if I fancy it. At first i thought the original Dell jack would fit but the center pin is just shy of a few µm away from making a connection to the original socket. Shame

My calculations say that it can now record for straight 7 hours until the power bank runs flat. The Power bank even has a buffer functionality so while in a car it can run virtually endless...But there's no reason to do so because the memory will be full wayyyy before it's empty

One side note: keep in mind that the inital inrush current of your generator might damage the delicate power circuit in your osmo. Make sure you never start the engine with the osmo plugged in. Better be safe than sorry! ;)
2018-8-14
Use props
JockeSelin
lvl.1

FntX Posted at 2018-8-14 04:31
Okay so now I don't really understand why it's limited to 60 Minutes....
I'll give it a go tomorrow or so.
I could only think of a limitation that's related to the motion path and that it can't store a path which is stretched far beyond the 60 minutes mark. That would also explain why Litchi produces a non-satisfactory movement. But if the smartphone app is the driving factor, this argument would be of course invalid.

Hi,

Yeah I agree, it's annoying, and I can't think of any technical limitation of why motion timelapse couldn't be longer. The only reason that might be valid is that DJI is protecting the hardware from overheating or such. Just guesswork.
The Osmo+ has been fine with the bike starting, it's just that the voltage can drop low enough for it not to keep going if it's powered up before the engine is started. I therefore tend to start the engine, and then the Osmo+.

I have the extension cable for the handle, so I can position the gimbal at quite cool locations and still control it. On a car, I've used suction cup mounts (I'd love the DJI one but I think it's a bit too expensive), and on the bike I already have R.A.M Mounts, so I have tons of options on the bike.

I can't seem to upload a pic right now, so I'll do it after this post.
2018-8-14
Use props
JockeSelin
lvl.1

Here's the Osmo+ gimbal on the bike.

I've created a little platform on the (plastic) faux-tank cover, and then I 3D printed a little arm so I can mount the Osmo+ handle on the tank. I then use the extension cable to the gimbal and I connect it to the (very stable BMW) 12V source.

I have my phone mounted on the handlebars and powered by the bike too, so I can run the  DJI Go app without any problems for a long time without any problems.

This way I can achieve some very cool angle and still control the gimbal without getting off the bike. I just wish I could lock the rotation or even better, that the gimbal could "look ahead" into the corner. Obviously fancy stuff like filming my fiancé overtaking me on her bike would be cool.
2018-8-14
Use props
JockeSelin
lvl.1

This is how it all mounts up.

A bit fiddly, but the footage makes it worth it. On straight roads anyway.
2018-8-14
Use props
AirButterflyDrone
Captain
Flight distance : 4522884 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hi!

this is my last "time lapse" done ...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-161376-1-1.html

to be honest ... I used Motion Lapses ...
what do you think about?
2018-8-15
Use props
JockeSelin
lvl.1

AirButterflyDrone Posted at 2018-8-15 00:44
Hi!

this is my last "time lapse" done ...

Very nice, I replied in your original thread.
2018-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules