Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Resolved] Issue: PC failing to see storage on Mavic Air
12Next >
29114 49 2018-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi guys. This issue has been reported by myself and a few others in various threads, but easily missed so I thought I'd create a dedicated thread.

When connecting the USB-C cable to my new Mavic Air, my Win 10 64-bit PC recognises the connection ("dink donk") and it's see'able by Assistant 2. However, File Explorer does not show it as having accessible storage. I should be able to see both the internal memory and the installed SDCard - but nadda! Sure, I can remove the SDCard and insert it directly into my PC via an adapter, but there is No other way to access the internal memory other than by the cable.

I have tried re-installing Assistant 2, unplugging-replugging cable while device powered on, and reformatting both storage areas. No difference.

Looking at Window's Device Manager, it sees the Vision driver (with an exclamation mark because it's still unsigned - cum'on DJI...) but that is used specifically for VPS calibration. It also tells me that there are two "DJI virtual storage" devices, but if that's the on-board storage then File Explorer doesn't see it.

Has anyone who has this issue resolved it? I either find a solution or it goes back to DJI after this weekend as DOA.

Edit: Solution at post #22. Yay!
2018-2-13
Use props
fans473e667d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 620600 ft
Singapore

driver problem hope DJI solve it. i have the same and the RC can connect
2018-2-13
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Likewise. Experience so far is that using DJai
2018-2-13
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

Ditto. Experience so far is that using DJI Assistant 2 (latest version) is a total PITA and fundamentally doesn’t work. Using DJI Go 4 isn’t much better in my experience and it would appear some actually fare worse going that route.  Would seriously like to jettison the FW update follies!

DJI, please make this ongoing and never-ending process FAR easier for your customers, not all of whom are tech geeks capable of scouring the inter-webs and running all the necessary hurdles on a regular basis, especially with a brand new product like this that almost by definition is going to go through some early FW tweaks!

2018-2-13
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-2-13 19:30
Ditto. Experience so far is that using DJI Assistant 2 (latest version) is a total PITA and fundamentally doesn’t work. Using DJI Go 4 isn’t much better in my experience and it would appear some actually fare worse going that route.  Would seriously like to jettison the FW update follies!

DJI, please make this ongoing and never-ending process FAR easier for your customers, not all of whom are tech geeks capable of scouring the inter-webs and running all the necessary hurdles on a regular basis, especially with a brand new product like this that almost by definition is going to go through some early FW tweaks!

Well, I have to say that I had NO issues doing the firmware updates using DJI GO 4. Up until now I've done all updates on my P4P and P4 via Assistant 2, but it just seemed easier for GO 4 to do it's thing when I first connected to the Air.

My only issue is what this thread was created to discuss, and as someone else found success with the same Air going from a PC to a Mac, I have to assume it's DJI's drivers and not craft firmware. But I'd be interested to hear from others with this issue, and hopefully of a solution or even work-around.
2018-2-13
Use props
DJI User122
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6598 ft
United Kingdom

Can anyone recommend a good all-round single filter, or do I need to buy a set. New to this scene! Thanks in advance.
2018-2-14
Use props
Xathros
lvl.3
Flight distance : 745935 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not sure if this is of any help but, I have both a Mac and a PC and get different results with each.  On the PC (Win 10 Creators Edition) when I connect the MA with it's USB cable, I get a notice from Windows 10 that the media needs to be formatted but Windows is unable to format it.  When I look at the media via windows format tool it shows "Unknown capacity"  If I remove my 128Gb Sandisk Extreme Micro SD card from the MA and use a standard card reader, the PC does not recognize the format but I can reformat normally.  Doing so renders the card unreadable by the MA and it needs to be reformatted in the MA to be useful there once more.

On the MAC, I can see and access both the internal storage and the SD card as separate mounted volumes when I plug the MA in via USB,  I can copy off my files and delete from the volumes just fine.  If I pull the SD card and mount it on the MAC with a card reader, I can access the files and can copy them off but the card mounts read only being an MS-DOS FAT format so I'm unable to remove the files that way.

I highly suspect the problem is the odd formatting used rather than driver issues.   What experience do others have with using cards externally formatted in the MA?

-Xathros
2018-2-14
Use props
Spready
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70581 ft
United Kingdom

I initially had similar issues on the PC..
I found that by forcing a driver update for the USB 3 ports cleared up all connection problems and now both SD and internal storage is read quickly and correctly. Assistant 2 is still a bit flaky though. It states firmware is not up to date when it actually is!
2018-2-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI User122 Posted at 2018-2-14 09:02
Can anyone recommend a good all-round single filter, or do I need to buy a set. New to this scene! Thanks in advance.

Wrong thread for this question. I suggest you have a look at this one: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D534%26typeid%3D534
2018-2-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Spready Posted at 2018-2-14 13:07
I initially had similar issues on the PC..
I found that by forcing a driver update for the USB 3 ports cleared up all connection problems and now both SD and internal storage is read quickly and correctly. Assistant 2 is still a bit flaky though. It states firmware is not up to date when it actually is!

Hey, that's interesting to hear. What version of Windows 10 are you running, and did you have to force a USB3 driver update specific to your system, or are there generic drivers you found to install?
2018-2-14
Use props
Spready
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70581 ft
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-2-14 13:30
Hey, that's interesting to hear. What version of Windows 10 are you running, and did you have to force a USB3 driver update specific to your system, or are there generic drivers you found to install?

Windows 10, Ver 1709

I thought there may be a system problem after laptop connected to Air fine - it was just desktop..

After the ASMedia devices I had (Microsoft)

Right click and check for driver updates revealed a new driver without the (Microsoft)..

I restarted (always a good call), then all was fine!!
2018-2-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

OK - thanks. I'll see what USB drivers my Toshiba laptop use.
Good to hear you resolved your issue.
2018-2-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

For the record, I'll be trying this tonight:

Click on Start --> In search box, type "cmd" and press Enter.
Command Prompt will be opened.

Now enter the following commands :
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
cd \
cd windows\system32
start devmgmt.msc

Device Manager window will be opened, and click on "View" --> Select "Show hidden devices".
Expand all the nodes by clicking on "+" symbol. If you find any greyed or UNKNOWN entries --> Right click on it --> Select "Uninstall".
Restart your PC

This should force Windows to re-find and install all relevant drivers for devices it now discovers afresh. Hopefully one of those will be the required USB hub driver.
2018-2-14
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

I had this issue,  I think you need to google 'unsigned drivers'. apparently DJI didn't or Microsoft doesn't see that the DJI drivers have been signed.
I had to do a safe start and click on something, that did something else, then reboot, and now everything works fine.
I'm sorry that I cant be more helpful with what site showed me what to do??!
2018-2-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-2-14 23:46
I had this issue,  I think you need to google 'unsigned drivers'. apparently DJI didn't or Microsoft doesn't see that the DJI drivers have been signed.
I had to do a safe start and click on something, that did something else, then reboot, and now everything works fine.
I'm sorry that I cant be more helpful with what site showed me what to do??!

Hey, thanks but no, it's not an unsigned driver issue that I'm aware of. The only driver I'm aware with (still) that issue is the Vision driver which is relied upon to do the VPS calibration. I've been installing Assistant 2 with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled for the last year because of that. This is related to how DJI recognises Virtual Storage devices.

But you said you had This issue? With your Mavic?

But for others with the same issue, our Deutche compadre suggested something which triggered a thought. Check Windows Storage Manager when the Mavic is powered on. It's possible that it wants to allocate certain drive letters which are already assigned, so there's a conflict and storage devices remain hidden. The solution there would be to manually re-assign the drive letters. Worth a look.
2018-2-15
Use props
andjan1964.hotmail
New
Flight distance : 75 ft
Norway

Same problem, don't get a drive icon in Windows10 64bit
2018-2-19
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

andjan1964.hotmail Posted at 2018-2-19 09:45
Same problem, don't get a drive icon in Windows10 64bit

Try this bud...
https://www.howtogeek.com/167723 ... l-unsigned-drivers/
2018-2-19
Use props
Franco64
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542103 ft
Italy

Same problem. I've reinstalled the drivers, but nothing is changed.
2018-2-19
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

Franco64 Posted at 2018-2-19 23:47
Same problem. I've reinstalled the drivers, but nothing is changed.

Did you try the above in my post??? If indeed this is the issue, simply reinstalling the drivers, or the assistant, wont help. Windows could be seeing the drivers as unsigned, and will not make use of them. Please try the link in my post above. And then let us know.
2018-2-20
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-2-20 01:16
Did you try the above in my post??? If indeed this is the issue, simply reinstalling the drivers, or the assistant, wont help. Windows could be seeing the drivers as unsigned, and will not make use of them. Please try the link in my post above. And then let us know.

It doesn't help either. I had disabled driver signature enforcement and manually reinstalled the driver but the problem persists.
2018-2-20
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-20 02:04
It doesn't help either. I had disabled driver signature enforcement and manually reinstalled the driver but the problem persists.

Wow, I am sorry. Beyond my knowledge base now. You need the DJI Admins to help.
2018-2-20
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Our very knowledgeable and kind Co-Pilot djiuser_J8pTkMaNyi6H has found the solution today which I share here on his behalf:

1. Connect Mavic Air to your computer powered on.
2. Open device manager, open Ports (COM & LPT).
3. You will see two COM devices instead of one as usually when you connect Mavic Air They will have name "USB Serial Device (COMx)" instead of X you will have number of COM device.
4. Right click on both and click Uninstall and tick also option Delete driver if it will be available.
5. Mavic's Air mass storage should be detected right away or replug usb cable if not.
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_J8pTkMaNyi6H
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-20 09:55
Our very knowledgeable and kind Co-Pilot djiuser_J8pTkMaNyi6H has found the solution today which I share here on his behalf:

1. Connect Mavic Air to your computer powered on.

Thanks to Wachtberger for moving this info forward where it is needed.

David
2018-2-20
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

djiuser_J8pTkMaNyi6H Posted at 2018-2-20 10:01
Thanks to Wachtberger for moving this info forward where it is needed.

David

Dear David, please see post 49# here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1&page=2#pid1211459
Any idea?
Thank you again,
Andreas

2018-2-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Our very knowledgeable and kind Co-Pilot djiuser_J8pTkMaNyi6H has found the solution today which I share here on his behalf:

Great to hear. I'll check this out tonight (although my two devices appear as DJI Virtual Device COM5 and COM6. Thanks for posting the information here.

Edit: I have uninstalled the two COM devices (5 and 6, in my case) listed in Device Manager, and ticked to delete the driver. Scanning for hardware changes then kicks Windows, and two new drives are allocated. I can access each. Yay!

Thread marked as resolved. Thanks to all those involved and especially to our multi-lettered benefactor.
2018-2-20
Use props
Tomcatuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

Resolved for some maybe but there are still people with the problem....
2018-2-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Tomcatuk Posted at 2018-2-21 13:45
Resolved for some maybe but there are still people with the problem....

Are you having the problem (and still)? Certainly appears to be resolved reading the other threads on this but, hey, if others have performed these steps and still can't access their storage then they can still post here. Marking as Resolved doesn't lock the thread, but it does encourage people with the problem to read it.
2018-2-21
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

Having same / similar issues (PC only sporadically sees MA as accessible USB storage device). Thx much for this ray of hope; will try this procedure & will report back results either way. MA, latest DJI Assistant 2, uninstalled & reinstalled, lather, rinse, etc...
2018-2-21
Use props
IntrepidDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3620226 ft
Australia

Our very knowledgeable and kind Co-Pilot djiuser_J8pTkMaNyi6H has found the solution today which I share here on his behalf:

1. Connect Mavic Air to your computer powered on.

This worked a treat, many thanks.
2018-3-1
Use props
Michaelz
lvl.1
United States

IntrepidDrone Posted at 2018-3-1 03:18
This worked a treat, many thanks.

What worked for me (posting in case this helps anyone else):

On a fully updated windows 10, using android DJI 4 app.

Summary - I think an unformatted SD card was causing a problem, even though recording was to the internal memory. (SD card looked fine to windows, had to be formatted while in MA.)

I had a new SD card in the MA but had recorded internally; plugged into the computer - nothing (to be more specific, the repeated ding-dong); powered on - still nothing; turned on controller, still nothing, plugged smartphone in to the controller - nothing; tried to format SD card from the dji 4 app - couldn't because it was plugged in to the computer; unplugged from computer, powered drone off and on, formatted.
Now from the app I could see the video in internal memory - but couldn't transfer it. (why not? let me decided, don't guess that I can't watch it on my phone).
Plugged back into the computer and turned off the controller -- suddenly two external drives appear - one for the SD card and one for the internal memory.

I'm assuming next flight it will record to the SD card and I'll be able to remove it and retrieve it with no problem (but setting it to record internally has to be done with drone and controller and smartphone connected -- couldn't do it on the app without connecting it )

At the risk of being off topic, first day was very roller-coaster -- really excited to fly, but set up took much longer than expected and so did retrieving the video.  The tutorials didn't help for anything I needed help for.  Just finding how to open the door to the sd card slot took a while.  I didn't see anything that said where to press, would I be breaking it if I pushed or pulled too hard, etc.  First tutorial has more about the fancy bag than about charging the controller and battery.

I hope this suggestion (turn everything on, connect, format the sd card) is helpful for someone.
2018-3-30
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

SUCCESS!  This worked for me too!

Thank you Wachtberger!

Background: out-of-the-box, Win 10 saw Mavic Air's internal storage.  I didn't even have an SD Card for my first 10 flights or so, and used the internal storage to upload, download and delete etc. via the PC without issue.

Then, around the same time two things happened -- one, DJI Assit 2 would not see the RC -- and two, I got/started using an SD Card. With the help of this forum, the DJI Assist 2 issue was resolved only now, Win 10 would not see either drive on the Mavic Air.

It was strange because an old Win XP computer that runs my home CCTV cams, saw both of MA's drives without issue.

Hope my experience can help others and thank you again Capt. Wachtberger sir!

2018-4-8
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

Bluehook Posted at 2018-4-8 06:28
SUCCESS!  This worked for me too!

Thank you Wachtberger!

You are most welcome and I am glad that the problem was solved! :-) And you are also an exemplary forum user if I may mention that because you have searched and found a solution that has been provided before. Many unfortunately don't take that time...
2018-4-8
Use props
djiuser_os4o8ys780fE
lvl.1

United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-8 06:35
You are most welcome and I am glad that the problem was solved! :-) And you are also an exemplary forum user if I may mention that because you have searched and found a solution that has been provided before. Many unfortunately don't take that time...

Shoot my Mavic Air is still not being seen... on a Windows 7 OS.  

Mavic turned on and plug in, but Windows sees it as an unknown device.  

I went to device manager and saw it under the USB controllers and tried varies uninstall or  disable with no avail...

Anyone have luck on a Win 7 OS?
2018-4-8
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

djiuser_os4o8ys780fE Posted at 2018-4-8 10:54
Shoot my Mavic Air is still not being seen... on a Windows 7 OS.  

Mavic turned on and plug in, but Windows sees it as an unknown device.  

Have you installed the latest version of DJI Assistant? Chances are quite high that it fixes your problem: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads
2018-4-8
Use props
djiuser_os4o8ys780fE
lvl.1

United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-8 12:04
Have you installed the latest version of DJI Assistant? Chances are quite high that it fixes your problem: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads

No!  I was hoping windows would just recognize it as a typical storage device you can open... Ill give it a try.
2018-4-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_os4o8ys780fE Posted at 2018-4-8 14:35
No!  I was hoping windows would just recognize it as a typical storage device you can open... Ill give it a try.

Just to confirm, you performed the steps outlined in post #22? Try that after installing the latest Ass2 with driver signature enforcement disabled.
2018-4-8
Use props
djshotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3553 ft
Australia

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-8 12:04

In all honesty, when are you muppets going to realise that the March 2018 version of DJI Assistant 2 on a Windows PC - DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.3 (2018-03-23) - is NOT able to access video and image files which have been recorded to either the MA's internal storage or whatever MicroSD card is inserted? I mean, how bloody stupid are the people writing the software that they can't create a simple GUI for transferring files from the device to a PC? Oh wait, that's right, it's an Apple...

<endoflline>
2018-4-14
Use props
djshotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3553 ft
Australia

ADD-ON: After several hours bashing my head against the wall whilst watching Youtube videos created by lunatics who, by the end, fail to fix the problem, I have come to the following conclusion:

DO NOT EVER OPERATE THE MA WITHOUT A REMOVABLE SD CARD!!!

2018-4-14
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

djshotty Posted at 2018-4-14 02:28
In all honesty, when are you muppets going to realise that the March 2018 version of DJI Assistant 2 on a Windows PC - DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.3 (2018-03-23) - is NOT able to access video and image files which have been recorded to either the MA's internal storage or whatever MicroSD card is inserted? I mean, how bloody stupid are the people writing the software that they can't create a simple GUI for transferring files from the device to a PC? Oh wait, that's right, it's an Apple...

I strongly recommend you to read carefully first and then choose appropriate language to express your thoughts. But ok, if it is a natural habit for you to -bash your head against the wall for several hours- as reported in your other post this might explain it all...
1. This thread is not about DJI Assistant but about having access to the SD card and the internal memory of the Mavic Air. The latest version of DJI Assistant was mentioned because it came with new drivers for everything, thus for many also solving this problem.
2. The Mavic Air also operates very well without SD card and only using the internal memory. I have done that for a while until my new SD card was delivered.
2018-4-14
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I had this problem and tried dozens of supposed fixes until Watchberger's co-pilot's solution came along.
This fixed the problem and since then, I never have to remove the SD card.
Just plug the bird in to the computer and download images.
Why it was like it was and why DJI hasn't fixed it with a FW update is not important.
What is important is that there is an answer and it is readily available here in the forum.

2018-4-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules