PolarPro Filters Questions
2513 25 2018-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wreo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531014 ft
Canada

Hello, I am a complete noob at this stuff but I have a few questions about different types of filters and when to use them.

So what is the difference between these filters and these ones?  Whats the benefit of getting 3 different looking ones?

AND

whats the difference between these and these

ALSO, how would you know when to use an ND16 filter vs an ND8? etc..

Thanks!!!

2018-2-13
Use props
Loki007420
lvl.3
Flight distance : 128832 ft
United States

Ohhh I too have the same question
2018-2-13
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

"DJI Spark Filters - Cinema Series - Vivid Collection" - This package includes 3 filters.  These 3 filters block differing levels of light.  But specifically, these are also POLARIZED filters that help to block out reflected light.  They are good for cutting down reflections coming off of water.  They also help to cut down reflections that naturally bounce sunlight off of foliage (tree leaves, grass, etc) and help to make the greens more green and the blues more blue, etc, etc

"DJI Spark Filters - Cinema Series - Shutter Collection" - This package contains 3 lenses and they are just straight up ND Filters without the polarization filtering of the previous version.  So they just cut down the amount of light getting into the lense.  They do NOT block any reflected light like the "PL" lenses.

"DJI Spark Filters - Cinema Series - 6-Pack" - This package contains 6 lenses and is a combination of the 2 packages listed above.  So you get 3 polarized filters (these are the ones with the round lenses) and you get 3 normal ND filters.

I hope that helps!
2018-2-13
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Canada

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-13 20:20
"DJI Spark Filters - Cinema Series - Vivid Collection" - This package includes 3 filters.  These 3 filters block differing levels of light.  But specifically, these are also POLARIZED filters that help to block out reflected light.  They are good for cutting down reflections coming off of water.  They also help to cut down reflections that naturally bounce sunlight off of foliage (tree leaves, grass, etc) and help to make the greens more green and the blues more blue, etc, etc

"DJI Spark Filters - Cinema Series - Shutter Collection" - This package contains 3 lenses and they are just straight up ND Filters without the polarization filtering of the previous version.  So they just cut down the amount of light getting into the lense.  They do NOT block any reflected light like the "PL" lenses.

So is the cinema series 3pack vivid collection the same as the cinema series 3pack shutter collection except for they cut out reflected light and the shutter collection does not?
If that is the case then what’s the benefit for going with the shutter collection if they’re the same price?
2018-2-13
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wreo Posted at 2018-2-13 20:40
So is the cinema series 3pack vivid collection the same as the cinema series 3pack shutter collection except for they cut out reflected light and the shutter collection does not?
If that is the case then what’s the benefit for going with the shutter collection if they’re the same price?

Firstly, they have differing ND Filter levels.  The Vivid Collection has filter levels of 4/8/16 where the Shutter Collection has 8/16/32.

I think choosing when to use a polarizing filter and when not to use one is part of the ART behind deciding how you want your images (pics or videos) to look.

I just did a quick google search and this site (at a quick glance) has some examples of when you might NOT want to use a polarizing filter.

https://digital-photography-scho ... -polarizing-filter/

2018-2-13
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Canada

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-13 20:49
Firstly, they have differing ND Filter levels.  The Vivid Collection has filter levels of 4/8/16 where the Shutter Collection has 8/16/32.

I think choosing when to use a polarizing filter and when not to use one is part of the ART behind deciding how you want your images (pics or videos) to look.

Thank you so much for your help!  

So what’s the difference between different 4/8/16 and 8/16/32 and for example when would I use filter level 4 vs filter level 16?

Also what would you recommend for me to buy?  The vivid collection of the shutter collection?
2018-2-13
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The higher the number, the more light they block out.  Very hard for me to tell you exactly what number ND Filter you may need as it very much depends on the lighting conditions you are flying in.  

One thing you might try is to download the PolarPro Filter Calculator app.  It will help you determine which filter is suitable for the current lighting conditions.  Basically you fire up your drone, put the camera on automatic mode, then put the shutter speed and ISO it is using into their app and it will let you know what filter number is likely suitable for those conditions.  

If you are like me, I fly in all different conditions, so there is no one size fits all.
2018-2-13
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Canada

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-13 21:37
The higher the number, the more light they block out.  Very hard for me to tell you exactly what number ND Filter you may need as it very much depends on the lighting conditions you are flying in.  

One thing you might try is to download the PolarPro Filter Calculator app.  It will help you determine which filter is suitable for the current lighting conditions.  Basically you fire up your drone, put the camera on automatic mode, then put the shutter speed and ISO it is using into their app and it will let you know what filter number is likely suitable for those conditions.  

So the shutter collection is for when you’re flying in areas with more light? Because of higher ND level?  The vivid is more for the average day?
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Actually Polar Pro gives pretty decent information in the last part.
Why Use A Neutral Density Filter?
The primary purpose of a ND filter is to reduce camera shutter speed. The 180-degree rule of shutter is a standard in motion pictures and cinema. This principle states that shutter speed should be double the frame rate to get each frame to blend together in order to create a smooth, cinematic look and feeling.  If you are shooting in 4K at 30 frames per second, you want your shutter speed to be near 1/60th. To achieve a 1/60th shutter speed outdoors, typically you will need a ND filter. You will use different strengths of ND filters for different lighting conditions. Generally, the brighter it is outside, the stronger the ND filter you will need.  To summarize, ND filters help lower shutter speed to capture smooth, cinematic content.

How Does our Cinema Series Polarizer Filter Work?
Our Polarizer helps reduce glare reflecting off of water, the ground, trees and pretty much everything under the sun. By reducing glare, enhanced and more saturated colors are left behind making your videos or images pop. In addition to increased color saturation, our Polarizer filter will help increase contrast. The Cinema Series polarizers are rotatable, whereas the standard black filters are fixed. The Cinema Series rotatable filters give cinematographers more control over their end result.

Are Our Filters Safe To Use With The Gimbal?
We put all our filters through a variety of gimbal load tests. All our DJI Spark filters are below the maximum weight threshold established with the DJI Spark. We fully guarantee filter compatibility with the DJI Spark camera and that it will have no negative effects on your gimbal. PolarPro has been making filters for gimbals and drones for 4 years.  Our brand is very familiar with what these cameras and gimbals can and can’t handle. We guarantee you'll be satisfied with our new Spark filters.

What is the difference between the Cinema Series and Standard Filters?
The Cinema Series Filters for the DJI Spark feature a production level glass with a lower refractive index, leading to better image quality. Additionally the Cinema Series Glass is multi-coated with AR coatings to reduce lens flaring. The Cinema Series-Vivid Collection Cinema Series filters feature a rotatable polarizer filter which gives pilots more control over the look of their composition.
2018-2-14
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-14 05:57
The primary purpose of a ND filter is to reduce camera shutter speed. The 180-degree rule of shutter is a standard in motion pictures and cinema. This principle states that shutter speed should be double the frame rate to get each frame to blend together in order to create a smooth, cinematic look and feeling.  If you are shooting in 4K at 30 frames per second, you want your shutter speed to be near 1/60th. To achieve a 1/60th shutter speed outdoors, typically you will need a ND filter. You will use different strengths of ND filters for different lighting conditions. Generally, the brighter it is outside, the stronger the ND filter you will need.  To summarize, ND filters help lower shutter speed to capture smooth, cinematic content.

Thank you for the reply!  I read something about the vivid collection where you have to manually adjust something each flight?  What does that mean?

Thanks
2018-2-14
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You don’t adjust them in flight, you adjust it before the flight.  

Here is a link to a video from DJI themselves discussing it in regards to their Phantom filters.  The same concept applies for the Spark filters as well.

2018-2-14
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Canada

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-14 20:48
You don’t adjust them in flight, you adjust it before the flight.  

Here is a link to a video from DJI themselves discussing it in regards to their Phantom filters.  The same concept applies for the Spark filters as well.

Thank you!  What collection would you recommend for a beginner to get?
2018-2-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wreo Posted at 2018-2-14 14:50
Thank you for the reply!  I read something about the vivid collection where you have to manually adjust something each flight?  What does that mean?

Thanks

Polarizers (at least certain kinds) have to be rotated to controle what angles are blocked.
Not sure if that is with the vivid collection.
I believe they are circular polarizers that don't need adjustment.
But I'm not sure.
2018-2-15
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-2-15
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-2-15
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

About the dual CPL/ND filters in the Vivid Collection, does ND 8 mean a total of the two filters, or is it ND 8 plus the effect of the polarizer (say, three stops for the ND and two more for the CPL)?
2018-2-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-14 05:57

Perfect reply!  
2018-2-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

I must say I also wonder what the real differences are between the various options.
It is a bit too expensive to buy them all and test them....
2018-2-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-16 10:50
I must say I also wonder what the real differences are between the various options.
It is a bit too expensive to buy them all and test them....

I've had the six pack PP cinema series and found the polarisers to be pointless. Lining up the polarisation before take off was a pain and as soon as you turn from/to the sun you'd end up with artefact in the image. The dynamic range changes so fast when flying drones. The shutter ND filters are a much better option for simply creating the 180 degree rule and gaining the perfect motion blur. ND filters should be totally neutral and not impact on colour grading.  
2018-2-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-2-16 10:56
I've had the six pack PP cinema series and found the polarisers to be pointless. Lining up the polarisation before take off was a pain and as soon as you turn from/to the sun you'd end up with artefact in the image. The dynamic range changes so fast when flying drones. The shutter ND filters are a much better option for simply creating the 180 degree rule and gaining the perfect motion blur. ND filters should be totally neutral and not impact on colour grading.

As I understand, there are also circular polarizers. Not sure if they also have that effect.
(I only know them from my 'ground' camera)
2018-2-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-16 10:59
As I understand, there are also circular polarizers. Not sure if they also have that effect.
(I only know them from my 'ground' camera)

Grad filters are what we really need on drones. Keep the sky exposed the same as the landscape.
2018-2-16
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Canada

El Diablo Posted at 2018-2-15 01:47
I would like to take a less technical and more pragmatical approach for the non photographers out there...

The ND grade depends on the available light and it will influence the way your video looks. The whole 'mystery' is related to the Frame Rate Vs. Shutter Speed.

Thanks for the detailed reply it helped a lot!  So you would recommend for me to buy the shutter collection rather than the rotating vivid collection?
Also, you're saying that the shutter collection filters do not enrich the colors but the vivid collection does?
2018-2-17
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Canada

Whoops double reply
2018-2-18
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-2-18
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Canada

El Diablo Posted at 2018-2-18 23:46
Hello Wreo, in some degree, polarizer filters do enrich the colours. However, ideally you 'should' (it is a matter of preference) edit your videos in post, therefore it doesn't really matter (regarding colour, polarization is a different think). I would say go as simple as possible. Less things to think about in an already big list of 'to do' before flying the drone. Even if you buy the more expensive ones, you will spend 90% of the time not using them, just my 2 cents.

ps. Video editing software can be very expensive BUT if you own an iPad Pro you can get LumaFusion with approx. 20$ and have almost pro control!

So you’re saying I should buy the shutter collection over the vivid?
2018-2-19
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules