Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does catching the Drone and turning it upside down turn it off?
20023 18 2018-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jashjacob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296089 ft
India

Wondering if Mavic Air turns off, If i catch it in my hand and turn it upside down. I'm a newbie drone pilot so I was thinking of ways to take off/land the drone where there are no flat or smooth surfaces. I saw a lot of videos for Mavic Pro, wondering if it's functions are similar.
2018-2-13
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Yes, only need 90 degrees though, not fully upside down.
2018-2-13
Use props
djiuser_fPsGZXet0pZe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43799 ft
United Arab Emirates

Yes it does. However is not advisable to do it very often. The propellers are still running quite fast even and by turning the drone you force the inertia momentum of the propellers. As a result there is a stress on the axes of the motors and, although this is certainly not a big issue if you do it a few times (when there is an emergency for example), that could and will increase the wear and tear of the axis. Better landing normally or, if you really like landing on your hand, pull down the propeller's speed to complete stop instead of turning the drone.
2018-2-13
Use props
jashjacob
lvl.2
India

djiuser_fPsGZXet0pZe Posted at 2018-2-13 20:51
Yes it does. However is not advisable to do it very often. The propellers are still running quite fast even and by turning the drone you force the inertia momentum of the propellers. As a result there is a stress on the axes of the motors and, although this is certainly not a big issue if you do it a few times (when there is an emergency for example), that could and will increase the wear and tear of the axis. Better landing normally or, if you really like landing on your hand, pull down the propeller's speed to complete stop instead of turning the drone.

I wanna land the drone in tough situations when there is no landing space, like on a boat or something.  
2018-2-13
Use props
cyborg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

jashjacob Posted at 2018-2-13 21:49
I wanna land the drone in tough situations when there is no landing space, like on a boat or something.

Off topic  - can you fly legally in India ? how do you even get a drone in India , I heard they stop you at the airports and take the drone away ?
2018-2-13
Use props
jashjacob
lvl.2
India

cyborg Posted at 2018-2-13 22:42
Off topic  - can you fly legally in India ? how do you even get a drone in India , I heard they stop you at the airports and take the drone away ?

You can fly legally in India. There is a whole registration process and what not to make things super difficult for a hobby drone pilot.

You can buy the drone via local ecommerce stores like Amazon India or Flipkart. They're super expensive because of the extra fees for customs(which is more than likely imported through uncommon channels).

I bought the drone when I was on a business trip to china about two weeks back in Shenzhen. I didn't have any issues bringing the Mavic Air through the Airport security. Mavic Air is really small to bring any attention. I think I would get screwed if it was a Phantom 4 at the airport.

Our country really does have so much more to worry about than people bringing drones.   

Read more about Indian Laws - Indian Drone Laws
2018-2-13
Use props
cyborg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

jashjacob Posted at 2018-2-13 22:52
You can fly legally in India. There is a whole registration process and what not to make things super difficult for a hobby drone pilot.

You can buy the drone via local ecommerce stores like Amazon India or Flipkart. They're super expensive because of the extra fees for customs(which is more than likely imported through uncommon channels).

Thanks for the info..!!
2018-2-13
Use props
the0bone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11896 ft
Germany

jashjacob Posted at 2018-2-13 21:49
I wanna land the drone in tough situations when there is no landing space, like on a boat or something.

And why do want to turn the drone for that?

Hold your hand flat.
Position the drone above.
Pull down the left stick and keep pulling just on the stick.
Don't pull the drone, just keep it guided with your fingers. But not hold the drone.
Keep pulling the stick for 3 Sec. and the motors will turn off automatically.

Just crazy guys that get it for free from DJI or guys that like to gain stupid YouTube Views turn the drone!
Watch him. He will explain it for you and show you how to do it right.

2018-2-14
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Mine landed on the snow on an icy lake flipped on its back and spun around with motors at full speed doing the "dance" for 65 seconds last week. It should have turned it´s engines of but no. After drying it and putting on new propeller is was as good as new. Not a single scratch
2018-2-14
Use props
the0bone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11896 ft
Germany

Swedrone Posted at 2018-2-14 03:24
Mine landed on the snow on an icy lake flipped on its back and spun around with motors at full speed doing the "dance" for 65 seconds last week. It should have turned it´s engines of but no. After drying it and putting on new propeller is was as good as new. Not a single scratch

There the emergency shot down should help.
So pushing the sticks in the same way you started the motors, you should also be able to stop them even mid-flight. (and your break dance try was mid-flight )
2018-2-14
Use props
DrawsWithLight.co.uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

Will doing this cause an error to be written to the log file? If there is a problem with the drone and you send it back to DJI could they assume it's been crashed on landing?
2018-2-14
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

Swedrone Posted at 2018-2-14 03:24
Mine landed on the snow on an icy lake flipped on its back and spun around with motors at full speed doing the "dance" for 65 seconds last week. It should have turned it´s engines of but no. After drying it and putting on new propeller is was as good as new. Not a single scratch

i thought yours was a mavic pro that did that?
2018-2-14
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

You should never do the shut down with the mavic unless in an emergency: the motors on the MA and MP/MPP have brakes, this means that doing that will damage the motors. Imagine stepping on the gas pedal all the way down in your car and immediately stepping fully on the brakes.

The only dji drone you can safely do it on is the spark: Spark doesn't have brakes so it'll just slowly slow down. (like releasing the gas pedal)
2018-2-14
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

i don't get it.  what are the brakes for then?
2018-2-14
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

AIister Posted at 2018-2-14 07:40
i thought yours was a mavic pro that did that?

Same scenario different drone
2018-2-14
Use props
Cosmo9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20568 ft
United States

I just had to hand catch my Air on a boat so it can be done.  A LOT tougher than it sounds though if rough water.
2018-2-14
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

Swedrone Posted at 2018-2-14 10:15
Same scenario different drone

guy asked if the Air shuts down when flipped.  it does.  what the pro does or doesn't do is not relevant
2018-2-14
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

AIister Posted at 2018-2-14 10:58
guy asked if the Air shuts down when flipped.  it does.  what the pro does or doesn't do is not relevant

Didn´t notice that it was about yet another Air... The forum is saturated with those threads. Anyway it´s the same function that manages the motors so thank´s for your help pointing out the pointless.
2018-2-14
Use props
fans68837a32
lvl.1
Flight distance : 735 ft
United States

djiuser_fPsGZXet0pZe Posted at 2018-2-13 20:51
Yes it does. However is not advisable to do it very often. The propellers are still running quite fast even and by turning the drone you force the inertia momentum of the propellers. As a result there is a stress on the axes of the motors and, although this is certainly not a big issue if you do it a few times (when there is an emergency for example), that could and will increase the wear and tear of the axis. Better landing normally or, if you really like landing on your hand, pull down the propeller's speed to complete stop instead of turning the drone.

Not fully understand the technical details, but expertise is always welcome!
2018-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules