Portable Power
1658 19 2018-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Saddle Life
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15764 ft
United Kingdom

I'm trying to find out a way I can charge my Mavic Air batteries while on the road cycle touring. i.e. using backup power like a power bank.

The adapter outputs 13.4 V but I beleive there is a car charger for it so I'm guessing it will charge using only 12 V. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have found the below on Amazon which has 12 V output, but uses the laptopstyle power adapter style round connectors (I don't know their proper name).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y ... 30031_t2_B01MDKHWNR

I'm guessing the easiest is to find an adapter to convert from the round connecter to an actualy car cigarette socket so I can plug the DJI official car charger direclty into that.

Has anyone sucesfully dont this or have any idea how might be best to achieve what I'm looking for?

Thanks
2018-2-14
Use props
xfirf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

I´m using something similar (http://amzn.to/2nW3yX2) for my Spark.
As soon as I get my Mavic Air I will try if it will work for the charger of it too.
(Soon = with a bit of luck today or at least tomorrow)
2018-2-14
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

xfirf_ Posted at 2018-2-14 06:09
I´m using something similar (http://amzn.to/2nW3yX2) for my Spark.
As soon as I get my Mavic Air I will try if it will work for the charger of it too.
(Soon = with a bit of luck today or at least tomorrow)

thanks, would love to know how it goes
2018-2-14
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

that will work, if you build an adapter

not sure it's worth the effort and weight over having 3 or 4 extra batteries.
2018-2-14
Use props
the0bone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11896 ft
Germany

I would not try to charge LiPos non controlled with non approved hardware.
And even if the internal cellshould be 11,1V (each 3,7V in a row 3 times) it have nothing to do with your charger.
Because it should gently load at beginning and end and have more in the middle. Or any other curve that is specially done for this Air batteries.
Also it is important that inner resistor exist in the batteries and in the charger.

It is also no problem to convert Ampere to Voltage or the other way around. You can switch that with a DC-DC converter.
2018-2-14
Use props
Saddle Life
lvl.1
United Kingdom

AIister Posted at 2018-2-14 07:25
that will work, if you build an adapter

not sure it's worth the effort and weight over having 3 or 4 extra batteries.

While cycle touring long distances recharging is the biggest issue. I also camp almost exclusively so charging time is restricted to time in cafes and pubs.

I could charge multiple batteries using the dock provided, but they only charge in series not parallel and also, charging a unit like this means I can charge a single device in the pub and later decide what to recharge from it, based on priority i.e. GPS navigation so I don't get lost first, phone second, then after that it could be Mavic or Bluetooth speaker or heated gloves, depending on a million different things.

I already have a power bank that outputs USB (so basically everything I have on my bike electrical until I got this drone haha) but it now means I need to find two sockets, one for my USB power bank and a second for the drone batteries. I know this may sound simple, and in half the cases it is, but sometimes you're balancing on a chair which is on a table hovering over the counter of a hot sandwiches shop in the corner of a gas station just to get one charge and they haven't got a second plug socket. This might be slightly exaggerated but you get the idea lol.

Single charge in buildings, charge what I like out in the field.
2018-2-14
Use props
Saddle Life
lvl.1
United Kingdom

the0bone Posted at 2018-2-14 07:27
I would not try to charge LiPos non controlled with non approved hardware.
And even if the internal cellshould be 11,1V (each 3,7V in a row 3 times) it have nothing to do with your charger.
Because it should gently load at beginning and end and have more in the middle. Or any other curve that is specially done for this Air batteries.

Yes, I understand. Electricity goes over my head a little bit and I'm sure there are more complications that I don't even know about. I could never design any solution on my own because I know that I don't know enough.

I like what xfirf_ has because it simply powers a regular plug socket, this then allows the official DJI power adapter to do all of the built in regulation and control stuff.
2018-2-14
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

Saddle Life Posted at 2018-2-14 07:45
While cycle touring long distances recharging is the biggest issue. I also camp almost exclusively so charging time is restricted to time in cafes and pubs.

I could charge multiple batteries using the dock provided, but they only charge in series not parallel and also, charging a unit like this means I can charge a single device in the pub and later decide what to recharge from it, based on priority i.e. GPS navigation so I don't get lost first, phone second, then after that it could be Mavic or Bluetooth speaker or heated gloves, depending on a million different things.

i backpack and go on extended trips so i know how it is.  i got an LG G5 (not my fave phone) but the extra batteries are cheap and very easy to carry.  

luckily the mavic air batteries can also be reversed to charge my phone or other usb items if there's an emergency.

ignore that 0bone guy, he isn't understanding what you propose to do.  

2018-2-14
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

Saddle Life Posted at 2018-2-14 07:48
Yes, I understand. Electricity goes over my head a little bit and I'm sure there are more complications that I don't even know about. I could never design any solution on my own because I know that I don't know enough.

I like what xfirf_ has because it simply powers a regular plug socket, this then allows the official DJI power adapter to do all of the built in regulation and control stuff.

so you think converting AC to DC back to AC then to DC is good?  no, probably 50% efficiency at the end hehe.  your power bank is better.  DC to DC and the car charger controls the battery charging.
2018-2-14
Use props
the0bone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11896 ft
Germany

AIister Posted at 2018-2-14 08:23
ignore that 0bone guy,

May is helping others and honor that others help more the background of a forum than "ignoring" people. If you think that someone did not understand what you or somebody else mean, just explain it better instead of being unkind and wasting my and specially your time.
2018-2-14
Use props
Xathros
lvl.3
Flight distance : 745935 ft
  • >>>
United States

I read in another post on this forum that DJI has confirmed USB-C charging is possible.  I'm going to test this when I get home tonight and will re-confirm here once I have.  This would allow you to charge the MA battery in the drone from a standard high capacity USB power bank.  One battery at a time though.
Here is that other thread for reference: https://forum.dji.com/thread-130913-1-1.html
2018-2-14
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

Xathros Posted at 2018-2-14 12:30
I read in another post on this forum that DJI has confirmed USB-C charging is possible.  I'm going to test this when I get home tonight and will re-confirm here once I have.  This would allow you to charge the MA battery in the drone from a standard high capacity USB power bank.  One battery at a time though.
Here is that other thread for reference: https://forum.dji.com/thread-130913-1-1.html

Everything I read in hat thread was that usb-c charging is not supported. I’ve no intention of trying it out. Quite happy, for the moment, to stick to conventional methods
2018-2-14
Use props
Xathros
lvl.3
Flight distance : 745935 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wyke Posted at 2018-2-14 12:52
Everything I read in hat thread was that usb-c charging is not supported. I’ve no intention of trying it out. Quite happy, for the moment, to stick to conventional methods

Ugh.  I had only skimmed that thread to the point where the DJI Rep confirmed the availability.  Sorry to have passed on bad info

Still not clear if it might be possible somewhere down the road with a firmware update.  Heres hoping.

-Xathros

2018-2-14
Use props
veletron
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have one of these car emergency start devices: http://amzn.to/2BYLILI if you scroll down, you'll note that you can also get a cigar lighter adapter for it. Aftermarket car chargers for the Mavic Pro are £12, it wont be long before the mavic air gets one too - the connector is different vs the pro. The car starter does 12V, 16V, 19V and also has 2x USB sockets eg for charging the remote.

Its worth noting that the quoted mAh capacity is @ 12V while the quoted capacity of a typical USB charger is @ 5V

WattHours = AmpHours * Volts so its 216W/h

Unfortunately, it requires either mains or a cigar lighter socket and a running engine to recharge the pack.

Once I get a cheap car charger for the air, I will try it.

Nigel
2018-2-14
Use props
Saddle Life
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I mean, that would be the easiest and best solution. I have a power bank that has 1 Qualcomm Quick Charge port that supports 9-12V at 1.2A. If I could charge with a USB-C cable that would answer it all.

veletron, I've seen options like this and can imagine it be something like this I settle on, thanks.
2018-2-15
Use props
Dangerstaple
lvl.2
United States

Can't you just use the USB to DJI battery adapter (one came with my Fly More combo)?  I haven't used it but I thought it was meant to give you a way to use any USB source to charge the battery - I planned to use it with a battery bank if I am away from grid power with the drone - like camping.  
2018-2-15
Use props
Infosmercial
lvl.2

United States

One battery pack that I stand by and absolutely love is the Omni 20 from the company omnicharge. It has variable DC output, several high powered USB ports, and a built in AC wall adapter. It outputs up to 100W and is one of the fastest packs to recharge on the market. It is expensive though. $249 on Amazon. They also just released a USB C version which does away with the AC outlet, but comes with a whole bunch of other cool features. You can find it on their indiegogo page and get it at a discounted price from the $249 retail. They are already shipping the product too.

While it might seem like more than you can chew at first, they really are workhorse battery packs. I’ve used them to run lights on the go, charge my macbook pro at full speed etc... It works great.

As an alternative, they do sell other packs on amazon that have built in AC outlets that will be cheaper. Any of them should be able to do the job for charging on the go.

DJI really missed an opportunity hear to make it so you can just charge on the Air itself.
2018-2-15
Use props
djiuser_He86iBzamCgf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft
United Kingdom

Would something like a car inverter work. 175W Power Inverter
2018-2-15
Use props
veletron
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Dangerstaple Posted at 2018-2-15 08:52
Can't you just use the USB to DJI battery adapter (one came with my Fly More combo)?  I haven't used it but I thought it was meant to give you a way to use any USB source to charge the battery - I planned to use it with a battery bank if I am away from grid power with the drone - like camping.

Hi

Nope - this works the other way around. It allows you to charge the controller or a phone from the Mavic Air Battery!
2018-2-16
Use props
SlickR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 642559 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi mate, i bought one of these so I can literally plug the DJI charger direct into the power inverter. Works a treat. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prod ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2018-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules