What happens when drone loses signal from controller?
12420 9 2018-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RucksackTex
lvl.1
United States

I'm a newb. I would prefer NOT to lose my Spark so I'm proceeding tentatively and slowly, trying not to stray outside my comfort zone much with each flight.

I've seen videos where people -- apparently on purpose -- fly their drone off in a direction and keep going until the connection between the controller (or phone) and the Spark is lost. But nobody shows what happens next.

So what happens next? If my spark loses its connection to my controller, what happens? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Will
2018-2-14
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

It will climb to the RTH height you've set and fly in a straight line towards the HomePoint before finally landing. You can interrupt the RTH anytime by pressing the RTH button once..
2018-2-14
Use props
RucksackTex
lvl.1
United States

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-2-14 08:22
It will climb to the RTH height you've set and fly in a straight line towards the HomePoint before finally landing. You can interrupt the RTH anytime by pressing the RTH button once..

Wow, thanks for super quick reply. This clarifies things a lot. I've read about this but it had not quite clicked yet.

Perhaps my problem is that I don't yet fully know how to set the home point. In the short flights I've done so far, I get an alert from the app at the start of my flight that the "home point has been set" (or whatever it says). Sounds encouraging. But when I tap the RTH button on the DJI Go app, sometimes the Spark comes back to the point where it took off -- and sometimes it lands wherever it is at that moment. I'm worried that if I start to fly further, and something goes wrong, it could land where I wouldn't be able to find it....

Will
2018-2-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

RucksackTex Posted at 2018-2-14 08:28
Wow, thanks for super quick reply. This clarifies things a lot. I've read about this but it had not quite clicked yet.

Perhaps my problem is that I don't yet fully know how to set the home point. In the short flights I've done so far, I get an alert from the app at the start of my flight that the "home point has been set" (or whatever it says). Sounds encouraging. But when I tap the RTH button on the DJI Go app, sometimes the Spark comes back to the point where it took off -- and sometimes it lands wherever it is at that moment. I'm worried that if I start to fly further, and something goes wrong, it could land where I wouldn't be able to find it....

If your using only phone it will hover for 20 seconds before RTH.if your using RC if signal is lost for more than 3 seconds it will RTH , if signal is regained you can stop RTH by pressing X on screen and carry on as normal.
2018-2-14
Use props
RucksackTex
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-14 08:31
If your using only phone it will hover for 20 seconds before RTH.if your using RC if signal is lost for more than 3 seconds it will RTH , if signal is regained you can stop RTH by pressing X on screen and carry on as normal.

Okay, thanks again. I need to stick with my baby steps program and I know it will all make good sense eventually.

One thing I have learned: the Spark is fun, but it is NOT a toy. And flying it effectively involves a lot more learning than I realized before I purchased it!j Grateful to have so many people willing to share their experience and knowledge here and on YouTube. I'd be lost without this help. :-)

Will
2018-2-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Perhaps my problem is that I don't yet fully know how to set the home point. In the short flights I've done so far, I get an alert from the app at the start of my flight that the "home point has been set" (or whatever it says). Sounds encouraging. But when I tap the RTH button on the DJI Go app, sometimes the Spark comes back to the point where it took off -- and sometimes it lands wherever it is at that moment. I'm worried that if I start to fly further, and something goes wrong, it could land where I wouldn't be able to find it....

If you are further than 5 metre and less than 20 metre your aircraft will just land. You can enable this in your app to RTH just click on enable RTH in you app then when it’s within 20 metres it will RTH at present altitude or if altitude is less than 2.5 metre it will rise to 2.5 metre and RTH .
2018-2-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RucksackTex Posted at 2018-2-14 08:36
Okay, thanks again. I need to stick with my baby steps program and I know it will all make good sense eventually.

One thing I have learned: the Spark is fun, but it is NOT a toy. And flying it effectively involves a lot more learning than I realized before I purchased it!j Grateful to have so many people willing to share their experience and knowledge here and on YouTube. I'd be lost without this help. :-)

Just take your time, it won’t be that long before you get confident, reading and referring to the manual will become your best friend .
2018-2-14
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Simply enable "RTH at current altitude"
2018-2-14
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Some great information provided here on the Return to Home feature on the Spark. You can also catch up on additional learning through the DJI Tutorial video channel on Youtube that you can get here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0sMNc2SGnM-wD3ZGYj3MAQ
2018-2-14
Use props
djiuser_suklTqtrNR6a
New

Philippines

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-2-14 08:22
It will climb to the RTH height you've set and fly in a straight line towards the HomePoint before finally landing. You can interrupt the RTH anytime by pressing the RTH button once..

Been flying spark for quite sometime now and this is my first time to encounter loss of signal. The aircraft returned home but the signal was not restored. I initially took it off from my hand since the area is quite tight. Now, when it returned home, i can no longer control it and it crashed. Good thing it still ok. Are there any logs available to further investigate why the LOS happened? It just flew bout 300 mtrs away from my location.
2020-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules