Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
No Collision Avoidance on RTH
2220 11 2018-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hotwire
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10719 ft
Australia

I suspent this is and old topic however I couldn't find any references.

When on RTH, a notice says collision avoidance is off. This would seem to be when this feature was most required. Is this intended or can I switch this on for RTH?

2018-2-14
Use props
Lyons90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164528 ft
Australia

it is intentional. before flying, make sure you RTH altitude is higher than any trees around
2018-2-14
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

Just make sure it is 30m+
2018-2-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Hotwire, Spark cannot avoid obstacles when RTH is triggered and the aircraft is further than 100m from the home point.  On the other hand, Spark can sense and actively attempt to avoid obstacles during RTH, provided that the lighting conditions are adequate enough for the sensing system and when the aircraft is less than 100m from home point. Meanwhile, there is no option to switch this on or off. You may also find this on page 15 of the manual. Here is the link --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 0Manual%20V1.6-.pdf
2018-2-14
Use props
Hotwire
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-2-14 17:15
Hi Hotwire, Spark cannot avoid obstacles when RTH is triggered and the aircraft is further than 100m from the home point.  On the other hand, Spark can sense and actively attempt to avoid obstacles during RTH, provided that the lighting conditions are adequate enough for the sensing system and when the aircraft is less than 100m from home point. Meanwhile, there is no option to switch this on or off. You may also find this on page 15 of the manual. Here is the link --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Spark/Spark%20User%20Manual%20V1.6-.pdf

Thanks Diana, that's great and what I wanted to hear. I'm not sure there is a notice of the obstacle avoidance returning at the 100m mark. I will pay more attention next time.

What is the reason for the 100m perimeter?
2018-2-14
Use props
Hotwire
lvl.2
Australia

Lyons90 Posted at 2018-2-14 17:08
it is intentional. before flying, make sure you RTH altitude is higher than any trees around

Not sure I understand what the scenario is that would make this desirable. This is also not the case for Mavic Air. If it can do this within 100m why not at any distance?
2018-2-14
Use props
Lyons90
lvl.4
Australia

Hotwire Posted at 2018-2-14 17:26
Not sure I understand what the scenario is that would make this desirable. This is also not the case for Mavic Air. If it can do this within 100m why not at any distance?

Didn't say it is desirable, I said it is intentional.

Top speed with obstacle avoidance on is 10km/h. Top speed on RTH without OA is 36km/h.

I would hedge a bet that OA is turned off purely for speed of return.
2018-2-14
Use props
Hotwire
lvl.2
Australia

Lyons90 Posted at 2018-2-14 18:07
Didn't say it is desirable, I said it is intentional.

Top speed with obstacle avoidance on is 10km/h. Top speed on RTH without OA is 36km/h.

So your suggestion implies Spark is short sighted. Certainly looks a little different to P4's and Mavic's Optical flow hardware.

Cheers
2018-2-14
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hotwire Posted at 2018-2-14 19:51
So your suggestion implies Spark is short sighted. Certainly looks a little different to P4's and Mavic's Optical flow hardware.

Cheers

Yes, it is a matter of speed.  DJI has decided if the Spark is reasonably close to you (less than 100m), it can come back to you at a slower speed where the obstacle avoidance system is able to function appropriately. However, they’ve made the decision if it is further away than that, then it will come back at a rate that is faster than the object avoidance system can function appropriately.

Here is a link to a video I made on the topic a while back.

DJI Spark - Return to Home Tutorial

p.s. I apologize about the technical problems near the end.  
2018-2-14
Use props
Lyons90
lvl.4
Australia

Hotwire Posted at 2018-2-14 19:51

Cheers

Yes. The Spark OA senses up to 5m and the Mavic up to 15m.
2018-2-14
Use props
Hotwire
lvl.2
Australia

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-14 20:33
Yes, it is a matter of speed.  DJI has decided if the Spark is reasonably close to you (less than 100m), it can come back to you at a slower speed where the obstacle avoidance system is able to function appropriately. However, they’ve made the decision if it is further away than that, then it will come back at a rate that is faster than the object avoidance system can function appropriately.

Here is a link to a video I made on the topic a while back.

Excellent video Kloo Gee. Demoing all the RTH options is far more effective than the manual.

Cheers.
2018-2-15
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing your insights in a video Kloo Gee.
2018-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules