Active Tracking in Osmo+
10612 13 2018-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Osmo U
New
Israel

Active tracking
Can you please add the function of active tracking in Osmo +. It is only a matter of app, because you have it on phantom, mavic and all flying cameras. That can help so much.
Thank you
2018-2-15
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

This has been discussed before, I also would love to see it, however DJI insists it is impossible.

The reason is that Active Track uses lots of processing power, more than the camera has.  The reason it works in the drones is because the drone does the processing, not the camera.  The same thing goes for the Osmo Mobile series, the processing is done in the phone, not the device.

DJI claims to have experimented with having the app do the processing on the phone then communicating the corrections to the camera via the WiFi connection, but they found that it was too slow.  Basically they made it work, but the time it took for the camera to send the images to the phone, then the phone to process the Active Tracking then communicate that back to the camera took too long and prevented it from effectively keeping the subject framed as, by the time the camera corrected, the subject would already be somewhere else.  So the idea was scrapped.

There is a workaround of sorts which uses a third party GPS tracking app, basically it tells the phone to point the camera in the direction of a GPS signal, which requires another device which can transmit that signal.  So what you would do is place a device, like another phone, on whatever you want to track then just start filming.  It’s not exactly the same thing and isn’t nearly as flexible, but it might work for you.
2018-2-15
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Thank you 9245 for sharing your insights. We hate not being able to offer this but Active Track may not be possible for the Osmo+ due to capability constraints. Thank you for the spot on about this feature Osmo U.
2018-2-15
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

9245 Posted at 2018-2-15 13:03
This has been discussed before, I also would love to see it, however DJI insists it is impossible.

The reason is that Active Track uses lots of processing power, more than the camera has.  The reason it works in the drones is because the drone does the processing, not the camera.  The same thing goes for the Osmo Mobile series, the processing is done in the phone, not the device.

Thanks for the detailed information.

There has to be an efficient way to use the connected device to control the gimbal must like the Osmo Mobile does without affecting the camera itself.  I know its a technical challenge but I think DJI engineers can make it work.  They've done it with the Spark, Osmo Mobile and other drones.

DJI, please work hard at finding a solution, this would make the OSMO+ a well rounded camera.  Love everything about it but miss the Active Track (as I have a spark).
2018-2-19
Use props
fans15a61171
New
Italy

I was disappointed when I saw that I could not do the active track.
I took it for granted
2018-3-12
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

fans15a61171 Posted at 2018-3-12 02:59
I was disappointed when I saw that I could not do the active track.
I took it for granted

A good advice ..
Next time investing in expensive gadgets, then remember to do a lot
of research before you buy.
There is a ton of review's on YT, and it's not a secret that the OSMO+ do
not offer active track.
2018-3-13
Use props
Iereh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 387687 ft
Ukraine

You have not fixed this function yet?
2018 already
2018-7-5
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

May I suggest something?

What about putting the ActiveTrack capability into the handle? While you're at it, why not just design a grip/handle around the cinecore?
That way we would be also able to have the X7 as a portable system... That'd be sweet

Well, maybe that's a little bit overkill but seriously: Just put in the technology required into the handle somehow. I'd buy it!
2018-8-13
Use props
djiuser_FD0tNZPdXIno
New

Portugal

No face tracking in Osmo+ is a HUGE turn off. Specially when you can do it with every other Osmo models and DJI drones launched so far.
2019-2-28
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

9245 Posted at 2018-2-15 13:03

Can you tell me what the third party app is?

Many thanks
2019-3-20
Use props
Rogermike
New

Bangladesh

I have been searching for a good cell phone tracker. Which one would be better guys?
2019-3-24
Use props
Rogermike
New

Bangladesh

I was waiting for someone reply. Anyways, I found something for tracking my device (iPhone) using an app like cocospy app. Does anyone using this kind of app?
2019-3-28
Use props
Rogermike
New

Bangladesh

I would like to update you again. Here is the source URL for location tracker https://www.cocospy.com/phone-location-tracker.html
2019-3-29
Use props
MWitarsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2058179 ft
Brazil

It's not perfect but I could manage this missing feature using Vertical Studio app.

2019-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules