Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FarmerMac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Hi..

I’m looking into buying some kind of gimbal stick with a cam mounted to create cinematic 4K
Recordings.
I already got the GoPro Hero 5 Black but no gimbal.
The DJI Osmo+ Looks tempting but I’m a bit afraid to buy an expensive piece of hardware with
A lot of issues.
Would it be “safe” to go the DJI way and sell my GoPro or is there way to many unsolved problems
With the OSMO at the moment?

/FarmerMac
2018-2-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The Gopro is more versatile.
You can use it separately too.
So if you already have that one, I would find a gimbal for that camera.
(does not have to be the karma, there are more options)
2018-2-17
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

It depends how you feel about fisheye lenses.  GoPros have an annoying fisheye lens that they keep insisting on using, it makes the edges of your footage distorted.  For me that makes the GoPro not even an option.

The Osmo+ also offers an optical zoom that you don’t get with the GoPro, and that is in addition to all the smart modes, which you also don’t get with the GoPro.

About the only thing the GoPro has in it’s favor is is ruggedness.  But cheaper cameras with the same crappy fisheye lens will offer the same ruggedness, and use all the GoPro accessories.

The Osmo+ really doesn’t have “a lot of issues.”  The only thing I am aware of is some people having trouble with focus after the last firmware update, but that is usually easily fixable by reinstalling the firmware or using an older version.  GoPro,  on the other hand,  have been having lots of issue from what I hear, particularly with the Karma.

2018-2-17
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

9245 Posted at 2018-2-17 23:53
It depends how you feel about fisheye lenses.  GoPros have an annoying fisheye len that they keep insisting on using, it makes the edges of your footage distorted.  For me that makes the GoPro not even an option.

The Osmo+ also offers an optical zoom that you don’t get with the GoPro, and that is in addition to all the smart modes, which you also don’t get with the GoPro.

Actualy I dont like the fisheye lense on the GoPro, but the GoPro Hero 5 got linear settings wich removes  the fisheye
Anyway... I have had some issues editing the files from my GoPro. Probably due to lack of skills , so
I desided to sell it, and Now Im looking for a Osmo+ with the right price tag.
2018-2-18
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

Just made my order.
1 x OSMO+
1 x  Straight extension arm
1 x exstra battery

~ 800$

Cant wait to get my new gadgets
2018-2-19
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

Just got it today.
First though = feels like quality I must say.
Hope I do not run in to any kind of firmware issues
Now all I have to do is wait. Wait. Wait. Wait until the battery is full charged
2018-2-21
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

Now I have filmed with this nice cam, but must say its almost impossible to focus
and get a crispy sharp footage out of it. Much harder than i think it should be.
But maybe Im "infected" with the autofocus issue that other users is complaning
about here on forum?

Is it possible to downgrade the Osmo+ insted of running on the latest firmware, to
get rid of this problem? Or is this just some kind of "DJI bonus" thats included in the
price.

Im asking, because I run on an older firmware on my P4P because of issues with
the latest firmware, so maybe its the same thing with the Osmo+?
2018-2-24
Use props
Jonwalter
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hey,
You can attach the karma grip to other mounts so to the end of a pole. However it doesnt extend itself. And yes it controls camera same as remote but also has a control to lock the gimbal head in place if thats the shot you are looking for!
Doesnt really help with purchase reasoning but me personally I'm getting the karma drone as my first drone and part of my reasoning to get it is the grip coming with it!
2018-4-27
Use props
Jonwalter
lvl.1

Netherlands

And have a question:
Do you really need a gimbal stick?
Have you already tried using your GoPro in the chest mount?
Have you tried using your GoPro on a helmet mount? Head mounts give good stabilisation.
If you have a Hero 5, have you used the EIS?
have a Feiyu WG and yes it does give good stabilisation, it's not water proof, I wouldn't trust it if I fell off a bike, and the batteries don't last forever. I always feel that the Feiyu is a rather fragile piece of equipment.
The Slick and the Karma grip do look good and more robust but we don't know what the battery life of either will be.
Jon
2018-4-27
Use props
tylore
New

United States

Also, have an inquiry:

2020-10-29
Use props
tylore
New

United States

Also, have an inquiry:

Do you truly require a gimbal ?

Have you previously taken a stab at utilizing your GoPro in the chest mount?

Have you given utilizing your GoPro a shot a protective cap mount? Head mounts give great adjustment.

On the off chance that you have a Hero 5, have you utilized the EIS?

have a Feiyu WG and yes it gives great adjustment, it's not water verification, I wouldn't believe it in the event that I tumbled off a bicycle, and the batteries don't keep going forever. I generally feel that the Feiyu is a somewhat delicate bit of gear.

The Slick and the Karma grasp do look great and more strong yet we don't have a clue what the battery life of either will be.

Jon
2020-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules