Battery cell error
16154 39 2018-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Little John
lvl.3
Flight distance : 192244 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,  I flew my Mavic Pro today and used all three of my batteries with no problems what so ever.

Tonight I decided to install the latest firmware.

App version 4.2.6
Aircraft 01.04.0300
Remote 01.04.0300

After updating the firmware I fully charged all three of my batteries and installed the next battery to be used. I have them numbered so I can cycle the batteries in order.

When I put the next battery back in the Mavic and connected to the controller I started the Go 4 app all seemed to be fine then after  around 30 seconds I got a message saying Battery Cell Error and to contact DJI Support as soon as possible.

I tried installing my other two batteries and they seemed to be fine.. I then installed the battery with the cell error and got the same message

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
2018-2-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When you check the battery status in the app are the voltage levels consistent between the 3 cells?
2018-2-17
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hi little john - needless to say the battery is a crucial element - if it fails during flight your drone will fall out the sky.
You could try a battery reset by emptying the battery to 5% and then recharging.
Otherwise it may be best to contact dji support as recommended - they are known to honor their 6 months battery warentee - a bit of an inconvenience to await a new one but better than losing your drone due to a mid flight fault.
If any fault happens to your drone whilst using this battery dji will not accept any claim as they advise that flying with a faulty battery will void an warentee.
2018-2-17
Use props
Stealthpilot313
lvl.1
Singapore

I have battery error after updating my firmware. Was still in the house and haven't even flown it.  Two led lights are permanently on. Can see my thread.
2018-2-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, could you please provide me with a screenshot of the battery info? For your case, please try to fully discharge the battery, then charge it to full and check again, you can also try to refresh the firmware, restart the drone for a couple times. If the error code persists, when did you purchase the battery? If it is within the warranty period, please send the battery in, we will help to take care of it. Please contact our support for a further help. http://www.dji.com/support
2018-2-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-2-17 14:13
When you check the battery status in the app are the voltage levels consistent between the 3 cells?

I didn’t check the battery status yesterday, but when I checked today with the faulty battery I didn’t get any error messages.  The battery cell voltage today is 4.15v 4.30v and 4.26v
2018-2-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-18 01:16
Hi there, could you please provide me with a screenshot of the battery info? For your case, please try to fully discharge the battery, then charge it to full and check again, you can also try to refresh the firmware, restart the drone for a couple times. If the error code persists, when did you purchase the battery? If it is within the warranty period, please send the battery in, we will help to take care of it. Please contact our support for a further help. http://www.dji.com/support

Thank you for your help Thor, when I put  the faulty battery back on my Mavic Pro this morning to check the cell voltages I didn’t get an error.  I have attached screen shots of the error message from yesterday and the battery info from today.  Can you tell me how to fully discharge the battery?  The battery Is just under 6 months old.  It is the battery that was in the box when I bought my Mavic Pro new.

Thanks John
2018-2-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-17 15:32
hi little john - needless to say the battery is a crucial element - if it fails during flight your drone will fall out the sky.
You could try a battery reset by emptying the battery to 5% and then recharging.
Otherwise it may be best to contact dji support as recommended - they are known to honor their 6 months battery warentee - a bit of an inconvenience to await a new one but better than losing your drone due to a mid flight fault.

Thanks for your reply
2018-2-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I installed the faulty battery into the Mavic Pro and left it switched on to discharge the battery below 5% charge. As the charge got lower I started to get a battery error message.
I have attached some screen shots of the messages.

Should I try and charge the battery when it is cold or is it scrap?

Thanks
2018-2-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I forgot to attach the last picture.

2018-2-18
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Little John Posted at 2018-2-18 09:16
I forgot to attach the last picture.

[view_image]

Hi Little John,

First of all, I would recommend you set all your batteries’ “Time to Discharge” to 2 days. Storing Li-Po battery without timely discharged it to below 65% might be the cause of the broken cell.

Nevertheless, you can try charging the concerned battery again to see whether it can be balanced again.

Henry
2018-2-18
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

Personally I would not even dream of running the battery. A $89 battery is not worth losing a $1200 drone. Just buy a new one and move on.
2018-2-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2018-2-18 10:10
Hi Little John,

First of all, I would recommend you set all your batteries’ “Time to Discharge” to 2 days. Storing Li-Po battery without timely discharged it to below 65% might be the cause of the broken cell.

Thanks Henry I will give it a go and see what happens.
2018-2-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-2-18 10:24
Personally I would not even dream of running the battery. A $89 battery is not worth losing a $1200 drone. Just buy a new one and move on.

That’s what I was thinking.
2018-2-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Latest battery update.

The pictures below say it all
2018-2-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

2018-2-18
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Little John,

Please take Bekaru Yree's advice - submit a warranty claim if its still within the 6-month warranty period. DJI is known to honour their 6-month warranty.

Henry
2018-2-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2018-2-18 15:13
Hi Little John,

Please take Bekaru Yree's advice - submit a warranty claim if its still within the 6-month warranty period. DJI is known to honour their 6-month warranty.

Hi Henry I took Bekaru Tree’s and  your advise and submitted a warranty claim.
2018-2-19
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-17 15:32
Otherwise it may be best to contact dji support as recommended - they are known to honor their 6 months battery warentee - a bit of an inconvenience to await a new one but better than losing your drone due to a mid flight fault.

Hi Bekaru Tree I took your advice and submitted a warranty claim for the battery.
2018-2-19
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Thor,
I did start an email case but never heard anything back so tonight I started an online case and have a case number CAS-1484753-G0R2G3 are you able to escalate this for me please?

Thanks
John
2018-2-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Little John Posted at 2018-2-20 10:32
Hi Thor,
I did start an email case but never heard anything back so tonight I started an online case and have a case number CAS-1484753-G0R2G3 are you able to escalate this for me please?

Hi John, Thank you for using our online support for creating your case. As I can see, shipping label was sent to your email address. Please send your aircraft to our repair facility as soon as possible so our repair team can conduct an assessment. I suggest to check your email from time time for any updates. You may also check the progress of your case by checking this link https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTrace
2018-2-20
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-20 11:38
Hi John, Thank you for using our online support for creating your case. As I can see, shipping label was sent to your email address. Please send your aircraft to our repair facility as soon as possible so our repair team can conduct an assessment. I suggest to check your email from time time for any updates. You may also check the progress of your case by checking this link https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTrace

Thank you for the update Thor.  

Can you tell me why I need to send my Mavic Pro back when it is a battery cell error?  Surely I just need to send the battery or charger? Or do you need everything?

Thanks

John
2018-2-20
Use props
Agent-0008
lvl.1
United States

Little John Posted at 2018-2-18 09:08
I installed the faulty battery into the Mavic Pro and left it switched on to discharge the battery below 5% charge. As the charge got lower I started to get a battery error message.
I have attached some screen shots of the messages.

the first screen shot is what I'm getting as well.  I haven't been flying my Mavic this winter but decided to check for updates.  Never got this error message before this update but the first time I connected after this latest update (today 02/21/2018), I got the Battery error message that is shown in Little John's first pictures.

And that's why I'm visiting here today.
2018-2-21
Use props
Agent-0008
lvl.1
United States

Agent-0008 Posted at 2018-2-21 15:39
the first screen shot is what I'm getting as well.  I haven't been flying my Mavic this winter but decided to check for updates.  Never got this error message before this update but the first time I connected after this latest update (today 02/21/2018), I got the Battery error message that is shown in Little John's first pictures.

Tried downgrading the firmware with no luck.  Drained the battery and recharged, same battery err.  I've ordered a new battery from Dji from Amazon which will be here Friday.
2018-2-21
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

A Lipo battery can appear to be seemingly serviceable and develop a fault without any notice. Managing storage as per DJI and other Lipo manufacturer recommendations will only extend their life cycle. I say only as the Lipo battery is for all intents and purposes best described as a consumable part that has a flaky life span. The need to replace a battery and the relative short life span given the cost makes it a bitter pill to swallow. I would echo previous comments that it is better for a Lipo battery to go defective on the ground rather than anything over 10 feet as best it would look really ugly or never to be seen again.  I'm glad the defect was picked up before flight as this could have been a slightly different post.   
2018-2-21
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Agent-0008 Posted at 2018-2-21 15:39

Hi Agent-0008 how old was your battery and how many charges had joy done with it?  
Mine was just 6 months old when it failed and had only 13 charges.
2018-2-21
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Celsus Posted at 2018-2-21 22:12
A Lipo battery can appear to be seemingly serviceable and develop a fault without any notice. Managing storage as per DJI and other Lipo manufacturer recommendations will only extend their life cycle. I say only as the Lipo battery is for all intents and purposes best described as a consumable part that has a flaky life span. The need to replace a battery and the relative short life span given the cost makes it a bitter pill to swallow. I would echo previous comments that it is better for a Lipo battery to go defective on the ground rather than anything over 10 feet as best it would look really ugly or never to be seen again.  I'm glad the defect was picked up before flight as this could have been a slightly different post.

I fly R/C electric planes and helicopters but never had a battery fail after only a few months. I have had new faulty batteries, but normally if they are good when you get them they last for years.
It’s a shame that dJI don’t sell a battery cell balancer.
2018-2-21
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

Little John Posted at 2018-2-21 22:58
I fly R/C electric planes and helicopters but never had a battery fail after only a few months. I have had new faulty batteries, but normally if they are good when you get them they last for years.
It’s a shame that dJI don’t sell a battery cell balancer.

Isn’t that what their charger is supposed to do?
2018-2-21
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

Wyke Posted at 2018-2-21 23:25
Isn’t that what their charger is supposed to do?

The balancing function is built into the battery and not the charger. A defect with the balancing component inside an intelligent battery could in theory cause premature failure of the battery.
2018-2-22
Use props
Agent-0008
lvl.1
United States

Little John Posted at 2018-2-21 22:54
Hi Agent-0008 how old was your battery and how many charges had joy done with it?  
Mine was just 6 months old when it failed and had only 13 charges.

About the same, had the drone for 7 months but haven't flown it since November due to weather.  If this is the case I'll have to see if my care package will cover it.
2018-2-22
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

Celsus Posted at 2018-2-22 09:33
The balancing function is built into the battery and not the charger. A defect with the balancing component inside an intelligent battery could in theory cause premature failure of the battery.

Good to know, thanks
2018-2-22
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Agent-0008 Posted at 2018-2-22 10:32
About the same, had the drone for 7 months but haven't flown it since November due to weather.  If this is the case I'll have to see if my care package will cover it.

Thanks for letting me know and good luck.
2018-2-22
Use props
Agent-0008
lvl.1
United States

New battery arrived today, that was fast. Everything working again.  For me it's very annoying knowing everything was fine before I stop flying, only had the drone for a short time and error happens after I update firmware which I did so it would be ready to go when the weather warms up and I wanted to go flying.
2018-2-22
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Update

I would like to thank DJI and the Moderator’s on this forum for all there help with my battery fault.
Old battery sent back to DJI support and today I received a new battery free of charge under warranty.

Great service
2018-3-5
Use props
Wetlsd
New
Ukraine

Hi, I got same Error in October 2017, I've checked it today and this battery still gives errors. Also this battery had 6 times charge-cycles only. I still have two workable batteries, but what to do with broken one?

I didn't use Mavic during winter time from October, maybe I can find log info for detect time of first warning, if it's needed, please help me.  I bought it in Chinese tmall.com ( taobao branch) when I visit Shezhen last June 20. What I should do? Currently I'm in Ukraine.
2018-6-7
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Wetlsd Posted at 2018-6-7 07:03
Hi, I got same Error in October 2017, I've checked it today and this battery still gives errors. Also this battery had 6 times charge-cycles only. I still have two workable batteries, but what to do with broken one?

I didn't use Mavic during winter time from October, maybe I can find log info for detect time of first warning, if it's needed, please help me.  I bought it in Chinese tmall.com ( taobao branch) when I visit Shezhen last June 20. What I should do? Currently I'm in Ukraine.

Hi,
Sorry for the delay. Sorry to hear that you are having battery cell errors.
If I were you I would open a support case and go from there.
2018-6-21
Use props
Freb
New
United States

I am having the same problem 2 of my 3 batteries are getting the error they have only been charged 5 times. After spending this amount of money , you would think we would get a better product that last more then a year and in some cases less. After reading the number of  customers  With the same problem you would think a company like DJI would admit they have made a battery with some type of defect in them and stop milking  loyal customers of more money . It’s about time they stand behind their very  expensive product  Not just for the 6 month  warranty  Can we get some help out there?
2019-2-24
Use props
fans04e1bcd4
New

United Arab Emirates

same thing happened to me after the firmware update... one of my 3 batteries gives me a cell error.. looking on forums if it fixable
2019-3-17
Use props
Jack Atherton
New

United Kingdom

Hi, same problem with me on DJI Mavic Pro. I drained until 0% and make sure it had no juice left to even turn on the lights. Once done, I fully charged it and it’s now back working again, all voltage identical between the cells. Very happy!
2019-11-11
Use props
Jack Atherton
New

United Kingdom

Jack Atherton Posted at 11-11 02:03
Hi, same problem with me on DJI Mavic Pro. I drained until 0% and make sure it had no juice left to even turn on the lights. Once done, I fully charged it and it’s now back working again, all voltage identical between the cells. Very happy!

From DJI:

Just to give you an information, if an Intelligent Battery has been stored for a long period without being charged or discharged, its protection board cannot balance the battery’s cells sufficiently to avoid excessive voltage difference. When the voltage difference exceeds the safe threshold, the battery’s cells are damaged.

To avoid this, we recommend that you discharge the battery to between 40% to 65% and store it in a cool, dry space (at an ambient temperature of 22°C to 28°C) when it is going to be idle for more than ten days. Check the battery’s power every three months and fully charge and discharge it at least once. Please perform this routine maintenance to keep your battery healthy.
2019-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules