3048 46 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_JSEufYd63nY6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40000 ft
United States

Hi everyone

I know there has been numerous posts on this topic and I hate to add another to the list but I'm really just unsure on what to do at this point.
I purchased the pro in November refurbished from dji directly at what I thought was a great price at the time for $699. I have purchased a few accessories now at this point. Carrying case, extra batteries, sandmarc filter lens are just a few to mention. I'm pretty well invested in this drone. Problem is I never used it yet because of the bad weather. I was waiting for the winter to pass and enjoy it when warmer weather comes around.
When the Air was released I didn't think much of it thinking it was a watered down pro just to fit in the market of consumers between the spark and pro. Once I saw the additional features though and came a quality I'm seriously thinking of selling my pro for the air.od end up losing money on the deal for sure at this point. Not sure what the right decision is. Each has its pros and cons and Hopefully some feed back will help me decide thanks everyone
2018-2-18
Use props
djiuser_JSEufYd63nY6
lvl.1
United States

Meant to say Camera quality in the post
2018-2-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

It all depends on what you’re using it for. I have the MP and just seen the MA in action and there is no way I’m downgrading. It has cool features but like a lot of folks I wouldn’t use them much. For me range and the ability to use the goggles Re’s wireless  and the dependable ocusync.
2018-2-18
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

The Air is nothing but a upgrade from the spark. No way would I ever get rid of my MP for the air it would be a downgrade.
2018-2-18
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-2-18 10:39
The Air is nothing but a upgrade from the spark. No way would I ever get rid of my MP for the air it would be a downgrade.

I couldn't disagree more.... The Air has just two features lacking of the Pro; the very long range of the Pro and the 28 min flight time.  But in every other aspect, it's as good or better than the Pro.  
Admittedly if you already own a Pro, there really is no reason to get an Air, but if you're getting your first drone, it's not so clear cut.

Camera specs are better for the Air, with higher bit rate, higher frame rate for 2.7 and 1080, and you don't have to worry about tap to focus.  
When not it sports mode,  the Air handles higher winds far better than the Pro.  
The Air has enough internal storage for over 10 mins of 4K video or hundreds of pictures.
Micro USB C means faster picture and video transfer
Over a third smaller and lighter than the Pro; this really is a great improvement.
I really don't get why people keep referring to the Spark; the Air is its own model in its own right. Compare the specs and you see it's neither a Pro nor a Spark.

To the OP, I made a direct comparison video you might find useful.  Just check the differences and go from there...
Cheers
Ian

2018-2-18
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't let those without the drone give you advice on this situation.  The Air is not a downgrade on the Pro.  They are different birds, with advantages to each platform.  The Pro, which I've owned for a long time; is still one of my favorite quads.  It's dependability and range are quite fantastic.  It's finicky camera leaves a lot to be desired, especially if you also own a P4P or even a Spark in some instances.  The Air has a fantastic camera and about 70 percent of the Pro's useable range.  It's flight time is a bit short so you really wouldn't want to go much further with it anyway.  I get about 18 minute flights which I find is acceptable to capture most shots. It's WiFi range is also greatly enhanced from that of my Spark, with a much more stable signal.  I like them both, but I really wouldn't sell one for the other.  The extra features on the Air aren't earth shattering, and certainly not enough for me to sell the Pro.  Now adding another bird to the hanger is a different story...
2018-2-18
Use props
djiuser_JSEufYd63nY6
lvl.1
United States

Wellsi and everyone else thanks for responding it is much appreciated. I've actually been checking out your YouTube channel and subscribed the content you have on there I very helpful. I'm just afraid I'm so much money in with the pro right now it's might not be worth it to take the loss at this point. But at the same time it might be best now since the pro 2 is right around the corner and prices will most definitely plummet by then. I like the pros controller better having the screen to me is a definite positive. Longer more stable range compared to wifi is also a plus with occusync along with battery life being longer   I'm not a professional. I use it just as a hobby when I had my phantom I loved it. Of the additional features came to the pro I would just keep it but the unknown is what's bothering me. Wondering if soon enough they'll stop supporting the drone altogether once new models are made. I would think the asteroid and boomerang features could be added to the pro eventually but I'm not very sure. Also I like the camera footage better in the air but is it worth it to take such a hit in money for a minimal upgrade in camera quality? Apes and backward sensors are also a nice addition as well. Just very tough to decide.  
2018-2-18
Use props
djiuser_JSEufYd63nY6
lvl.1
United States

People who had the pro and now switched to the air, do you find that you miss the screen on the airs controller? I love that feature and would think it's a downgrade to not have all that information right in front of you.
2018-2-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Pro has: -
c.4K
Longer range (double in CE)
Superior image quality in the live feed
Less latency
Dual RC controls
Wireless Goggles
Quieter motors (much quieter on the platinum)
10 minutes extra flight time per battery
LCD screen in the RC
Waypoints
Fixed wing mode
Course and home lock
Cruises about 10MPH faster with OA turned off
I could continue - there is a reason it costs hundreds more. Ultimately, it is OcuSync that makes the MP/P for me and is the deal breaker on the MA. They both have the same sensor and I appreciate tap to focus for shallow focus controls. The MPP is also very portable and at 743g is hardly heavy. As for internal storage... put a 64gb micro sd card in your MPP and that will give you HOURS of 4K footage - use the adaptor too - I import 15gb of files in 3 minutes to my MacBook! The MA clearly sits between the Spark (one up) and the Mavic Pro (one down). It's a Spark Pro IMO.

2018-2-18
Use props
djiuser_JSEufYd63nY6
lvl.1
United States

So overall consensus is pretty much stick with the pro not worth it since it's not an upgrade and more of a down grade
2018-2-18
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

djiuser_JSEufYd63nY6 Posted at 2018-2-18 11:27
People who had the pro and now switched to the air, do you find that you miss the screen on the airs controller? I love that feature and would think it's a downgrade to not have all that information right in front of you.

No.....i still have both. But honestly wasnt  ever looling at my re.ote screen ....yes its nice but always relied on my Telemetry from the app. Put it this way I'm flying  the air more because video and pictures coming out of the air is just that much better. now everytime I look at my mavic Pro photos or videos even my buddies mavic Pro Platinum just to do comparisons the mavic air just blows me away....dynamic range, the highlights, the low light performance, the smoothness in video. Dude the mav pro jumped about every 8th frame ... the air doesnt do this. And for the people that argue about range I get awesome range on my mavic air I consistently get 12,000 to 13000 ft as a matter of fact I'm in the top 3 over on the other forum in range. People that don't have both drones or the air like to just talk crap if you don't have it you shouldn't really say anything! Sorry i know i steered a little from your original question! Haha
2018-2-18
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_JSEufYd63nY6 Posted at 2018-2-18 18:10
So overall consensus is pretty much stick with the pro not worth it since it's not an upgrade and more of a down grade

Yes if u want crappier photos and video!  My  live feed is the same with my mavic Pro and mavic Air the only reason why you would say the mavic pro has Superior live feed as if you put it in 1080P but you can go that far with it in 1080p. My mav pro is literally collecting dust now. My air is faster, more fun to fly. More stable in the wind! Panos work way better on the air than they do on my Pro. U get more quick shots .... never had a problem with my live feed I get great range with the air. As far as ho.e lock or waypoints I'm sure we will get that in an update never really use. Too much anyway it really depends on what you want for yourself honestly they both have their pros and cons but just know from a person that has both I'm flying the air way more. You can't listen to people like AC W he does not have an air so he is biased towards the mavic pro.... I forgot to mention that the mavic pro has the same image processing chip that the GoPro Hero 3 used..... I'm not kidding when I say the mavic air has Superior photos and video yeah man like I said you decide
2018-2-18
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Also another thing to note people always talk about the battery life but honestly who really flies each battery 27 minutes or 21 minutes I don't think too many people do I know that if I want to shoot something I will get out there for about 10 minutes and then wrap it up with that battery. The battery life is too close to be talking about "the mavic Pro battery life is so much better".... with the mavic pro I only fly for about 15 minutes.... the mavic air? same deal
2018-2-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_JSEufYd63nY6 Posted at 2018-2-18 18:10

Absolutely - it's a great drone!
2018-2-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Again AC W only has the pro and has not been flying that long u can clearly tell "queiter motors" haha its the props that mostly do that. The motors are the same kv and stator size as the pro newb! Dude storage on pro? The air accepts a 128gb card and doesnt fuss and has internal storage. Also if 4k is crappy on the mav pro why bother heck the 2.7k looks damn near as good on the air! Distance i consistently get great distance the only thing the pro honestly has over the air is occusync other then that the 2015 video chip in the pro is garbage. . Probably selling the pro. After having the air. The pro is not portable ....at all anyways let me stop the air def kills my pro in alot of things.....so take his bias advice with a grain of salt. Ask the guys that have both and been around a long time.....more then happy to help! Have about 15 yrs of flying experience and a long time member of helifreak/drone forums....  so i know the in's and out's U can message me any questions.. again its whatever features is ultimately going to fit your needs
Screenshot_20180213-234340.jpg
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-19 01:16
Again AC W only has the pro and has not been flying that long .....so take his bias advice with a grain of salt. Ask the guys that have both and been around a long time.....more then happy to help! Have about 15 yrs of flying experience and a long time member of helifreak/drone forums....  so i know the in's and out's U can message me any questions.. again its whatever features is ultimately going to fit your needs

I've been flying for years and have owned the P3P, P4P, Spark and all versions of the Mavic Pro series plus I also fly my friends Inspire 2 X5S and the last I checked I have nearly 20,000 points on this forum - don't make personal comments about my experience as you clearly don't know me. Thanks!
2018-2-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-19 01:25
I've been flying for years and have owned the P3P, P4P, Spark and all versions of the Mavic Pro series plus I also fly my friends Inspire 2 X5S and the last I checked I have nearly 20,000 points on this forum - don't make personal comments about my experience as you clearly don't know me. Thanks!

Dude i dont care about points nor do i upload flight logs to get those corny points...u are about as newb as they come bro...."quieter motors" hahahaha listen u are so biased its crazy u cant talk about a product if u have not experienced it or flown it. ....hahaha u said i have 200000 points oooooh wow shows how experienced u are! Not!
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-19 01:32
Dude i dont care about points nor do i upload flight logs to get those corny points...u are about as newb as they come bro...."quieter motors" hahahaha listen u are so biased its crazy u cant talk about a product if u have not experienced it or flown it. ....hahaha u said i have 200000 points oooooh wow shows how experienced u are! Not!

And I really don't care about your lack of knowledge either just NEVER use my name in vein again, alright! The noise output from the motors is quiet as mainly driven by the FOC sinusoidal ESC's in addition to the 8331 props... The ESC's drive the motors! "Motor noise output reduced by 60%" - DJI's own words!
2018-2-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

"Teh motors are quieter" smh
2018-2-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-19 01:35
Listen take your 20,000 newb and shove it. Your like one of those smart as$e$ that think they know everything. You don't know crap you don't even have the mavic air yet you talk bad about it how biased are you? And i really cant get over the "it has queiter motors thing" dude total newb status. Really think long and hard about why the mavic pro Platinum is quieter it's

Yeah I'm pretty sure you just look that up on Google such a dweeb dude whatever lol you're such a troll you fight with everybody that don't agree with you I never liked you from day one just because of your snotty attitude you even fought with one of the best software devs of our time "because u know it all" I'm really curious to see your Fleet I'll show you mine I really think you're a total Noob he thinks he knows everything
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-19 01:35
Listen take your 20,000 newb and shove it. Your like one of those smart as$e$ that think they know everything. You don't know crap you don't even have the mavic air yet you talk bad about it how biased are you? And i really cant get over the "it has queiter motors thing" dude total newb status. Really think long and hard about why the mavic pro Platinum is quieter it's

I've already answered that which is a known fact.
Strange how you don't have any Mavic's listed as being activated under your profile - just as I thought, another troll...
Good day Gambino.
2018-2-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-19 01:38
Yeah I'm pretty sure you just look that up on Google such a dweeb dude whatever lol you're such a troll you fight with everybody that don't agree with you I never liked you from day one just because of your snotty attitude you even fought with one of the best software devs of our time "because u know it all" I'm really curious to see your Fleet I'll show you mine I really think you're a total Noob he thinks he knows everything

Hahaha yep u looked it up on google "djs own words" and here we are we have a guy like you trying to give somebody advice on what aircraft to get when you only have experience with one(the mpp) and don't even know the specs of it! Wow! U go man u rock. You know why you got 20,000 points? because your participate alot trolling spewing half baked specs and know it all logic. Hey man u have a good night!
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-19 01:41
Hahaha yep u looked it up on google "djs own words" and here we are we have a guy like you trying to give somebody advice on what aircraft to get when you only have experience with one(the mpp) and don't even know the specs of it! Wow! U go man u rock. You know why you got 20,000 points? because your participate alot trolling spewing half baked specs and know it all logic. Hey man u have a good night!

No - I knew that before I bought the MPP last year as part of my research. I've owned 7 DJI drones BTW - as you see the icons of them under my profile. You really are a troll. Quite pathetic.
2018-2-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-19 01:39
I've already answered that which is a known fact.
Strange how you don't have any Mavic's listed as being activated under your profile - just as I thought, another troll...
Good day Gambino.

I'm pretty sure that counts I don't use this email address for the DJI go 4 app I use a different email #myhackbirds  When i use different software[img][/img]
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-19 01:45
[view_image]
I'm pretty sure that counts I don't use this email address for the DJI go 4 app I use a different email #myhackbirds  When i use different software[/img]

Yeah, your MATE has a nice Mavic there! You should get one!
2018-2-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

See unlike you I don't really care about what's under my Forum Avatar/picor what aircraft is there how many points I have I could care less....i mean seriously  what are you trying to be cool and macho and show people that you have 5 aircraft under your name i mean does that say like your king of all land? that's stupid....its super gayyy.  Anyway would you like to see a picture of my Phantom 4 Pro too?
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-19 01:38
Yeah I'm pretty sure you just look that up on Google such a dweeb dude whatever lol you're such a troll you fight with everybody that don't agree with you I never liked you from day one just because of your snotty attitude you even fought with one of the best software devs of our time "because u know it all" I'm really curious to see your Fleet I'll show you mine I really think you're a total Noob he thinks he knows everything

You have no idea but I never really noticed you to form an opinion. I guess you're quickly forgotten
2018-2-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

My mate? Lol jeez have a nice one man let me guess i dont have the air too huh watch and notice the same table!
2018-2-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Yea good night!
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-19 01:47
See unlike you I don't really care about what's under my Forum Avatar/picor what aircraft is there how many points I have I could care less....i mean seriously  what are you trying to be cool and macho and show people that you have 5 aircraft under your name i mean does that say like your king of all land? that's stupid....its super gayyy.  Anyway would you like to see a picture of my Phantom 4 Pro too?

Why don't you take your inferiority complex somewhere else - like college LOL And stop taking the OP's thread off topic by insulting forum members... Nobody cares what you claim to own, especially me.
Bye!
2018-2-19
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey AC W i told ya i had a few emails.      im just saying dude you can't be biased like that if you don't even own the aircraft it's just bull you can't tell a new guy how much better one product is than the other if u dont own it!!!!!
2018-2-19
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

As u shouldnt care....just get your facts str8 and dont be so biased... what are u sad u couldnt get an air? And dude did u really go from a mav pro to a mpp... ahahahaha says alot about u! Seriously. How are those quieter motors working out for ya! Hahahaha
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I never said not to get the Air - I did however outline what the Pro offers base on my experience!
We can all post pics of drones we have flown!
2018-2-19
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Oh jeez u still dont believe me ? I guess man whatever your like a broken record so I guess my avatar doesn't count like your avatar lol okay im out man good day mate!
P.s. looks like your mate already crashed his inspire 2 whats up with the top of the shell near the nose?  To much newb going around? Hahaha let me stop man i crack myself up!!!! Seriously tho good day mate!
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2018-2-19 02:02
Oh jeez u still dont believe me ? I guess man whatever your like a broken record so I guess my avatar doesn't count like your avatar lol okay im out man good day mate!
P.s. looks like your mate already crashed his inspire 2 whats up with the top of the shell? To much newb going around? Hahaha let me stop man i crack myself up!!!! Seriously tho good day mate!

Sorry, who are you talking to? Do I know you?
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2018-2-19 02:02
P.s. looks like your mate already crashed his inspire 2 whats up with the top of the shell near the nose?  To much newb going around? Hahaha let me stop man i crack myself up!!!! Seriously tho good day mate!

Thats the design of the drone LOL It's clear you've never seen one being the real noob here!
2018-2-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Talking to u mate! Good night
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-19 02:10
Talking to u mate! Good night

Hopefully for the last time!
2018-2-19
Use props
Touchthesky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67500 ft
Australia

2018-2-19
Use props
djiuser_JSEufYd63nY6
lvl.1
United States

Wow I had no idea this was going to turn in to an all out battle. I only wanted some opinions didn't mean cause such an uproar. I think I've pretty much decided that if I decided to sell on eBay I'd take a loss with fees and accessories that I've spent on. I'd probably lose a minimum or $200 on the deal not including ebay and PayPal fees. So lose all that for a drone that is maybe marginally better if that, I think I'm just going to end up enjoying it. Ocusync is a big advantage along with battery life in my book. I even put state farm drone insurance on it. I'm sure by the end of this year the air will be in sale and MP2 will be out and we'll see what my options are in 10 months. Either way I'm sure I'll love the heck out of this thing all spring and summer long. Thanks for all the feed back I'd love to hear more of anyone would like to ass anything. Thanks!
2018-2-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules