Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mavic Air or Wait for the new Mavic Pro??
1131 12 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
REXY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49856 ft
Sweden

So I have been think of selling my current FPV drone setup to get into the DJI drone scene since the FPV drone scene wasn't really my kind of thing and I want to take more aerial photos than going just fast...

My question is should I wait for the new Mavic Pro (we still don't have a launch date so might be awhile) or should I get the Mavic Air? (Or even the old Mavic Pro??)

I'm going on a couple of trips these coming months and I really wanna get some drone photos and videos when I'm away, so is it more worth buying into it now or wait??

Please help me decide or give opinions!

Thank you!
2018-2-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There is high expectations that new Mavic Pro will have a much better camera, so if it’s purely down to photography then maybe wait, but I can tell you from an hobbyists point of view the MavAir is exceptional, the six million dollar question is when we will see Mavic Pro and where it will figure in the scheme of things.
2018-2-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Even if a Mavic Pro 2 is released soon (nothing confirmed) the likelihood is that there will be a long waiting list for delivery and if you buy from the first batch you could be waiting for FW updates to fix things. If it does have a P4P type camera system it will be worth thousands too... Not a drone to learn on.
I would recommend the Mavic Pro Platinum - still not cheap (much more expensive than the Mavic Air) but the best all round drone that I have owned to date.
2018-2-18
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i had my mavic pro for a year now - based on my own personal experiance with the pro and having watched a lot of info about the mavic air, thats what i would recomend, especially as a first drone. your risk as a newbee is pretty high. Not to say you will loose your drone and i certainly hope you never do - but considering the costs, the risks of loss (and risk of problems with mavic pro) and considering also that the image quality of the air seems just about the same as the mavic pro - hense my recomendation - also for traveling purposes the mavic air packs up smaller.
2018-2-18
Use props
REXY
lvl.2
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-18 11:58
There is high expectations that new Mavic Pro will have a much better camera, so if it’s purely down to photography then maybe wait, but I can tell you from an hobbyists point of view the MavAir is exceptional, the six million dollar question is when we will see Mavic Pro and where it will figure in the scheme of things.

Yeah, since I wanna use it for photos and some videos I feel like waiting, but then yet again we still don't have a release date. Plus it will take at least 2-3 weeks after launch the to even get the drone...
2018-2-18
Use props
REXY
lvl.2
Sweden

A CW Posted at 2018-2-18 12:05
Even if a Mavic Pro 2 is released soon (nothing confirmed) the likelihood is that there will be a long waiting list for delivery and if you buy from the first batch you could be waiting for FW updates to fix things. If it does have a P4P type camera system it will be worth thousands too... Not a drone to learn on.
I would recommend the Mavic Pro Platinum - still not cheap (much more expensive than the Mavic Air) but the best all drone that I have owned to date.

That is exactly what I felt since we don't have a set date yet and it will take DJI at least 2-3 weeks for the deliveries of the first batch. Maybe the MPP is a great option. Thanks for the input!
2018-2-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I agree with the Mavic Air suggestion.  You can get it now, plus your risk of a crash is high.  Go less expensive and available now.  I think you'll find the camera in the Air will be just fine.
2018-2-18
Use props
REXY
lvl.2
Sweden

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-18 12:27
i had my mavic pro for a year now - based on my own personal experiance with the pro and having watched a lot of info about the mavic air, thats what i would recomend, especially as a first drone. your risk as a newbee is pretty high. Not to say you will loose your drone and i certainly hope you never do - but considering the costs, the risks of loss (and risk of problems with mavic pro) and considering also that the image quality of the air seems just about the same as the mavic pro - hense my recomendation - also for traveling purposes the mavic air packs up smaller.

The size of the Mavic Air and the exact same quality of the images and videos of the Pro is what is driving me towards buying an Air more than the Pro. Plus I have flown FPV drones for about a year and other model planes so I don't think the learning is going to be a problem, but thanks for the consideration!
2018-2-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

REXY Posted at 2018-2-18 14:51
That is exactly what I felt since we don't have a set date yet and it will take DJI at least 2-3 weeks for the deliveries of the first batch. Maybe the MPP is a great option. Thanks for the input!

No probs - just to manage your expectations - the delivery time of the original Mavic Pro in late 2016 was 2 -3 months!
2018-2-18
Use props
REXY
lvl.2
Sweden

A CW Posted at 2018-2-18 14:57
No probs - just to manage your expectations - the delivery time of the original Mavic Pro in late 2016 was 2 -3 months!

Oh wow... But I hope this time DJI has been building up more of a stock compared to the Mavic Pro launch. I hope they have learned a thing or two, or they haven't? Still, no stress to buy the drone yet so will keep a lookout for news on the MP2.
2018-2-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

REXY Posted at 2018-2-18 15:05
Oh wow... But I hope this time DJI has been building up more of a stock compared to the Mavic Pro launch. I hope they have learned a thing or two, or they haven't? Still, no stress to buy the drone yet so will keep a lookout for news on the MP2.

So do I but if they put a 1" sensor on a truly upgraded Mavic PRO - every drone pilot (and I mean every) will want one LOL And as much as I rate DJI they do not have the best quality control processes - lots of DOA's on the forum and I too had to send my P4P back when I got one from the first batch in Nov '16 - took 4 weeks to replace! Seriously, don't wait for an MP2 as in addition to what I have written above it's not even been announced by DJI and it could be several months before even that happens...
2018-2-18
Use props
REXY
lvl.2
Sweden

A CW Posted at 2018-2-18 15:08
So do I but if they put a 1" sensor on a truly upgraded Mavic PRO - every drone pilot (and I mean every) will want one LOL And as much as I rate DJI they do not have the best quality control processes - lots of DOA's on the forum and I too had to send my P4P back when I got one from the first batch in Nov '16 - took 4 weeks to replace! Seriously, don't wait for an MP2 as in addition to what I have written above it's not even been announced by DJI and it could be several months before even that happens...

Hahaha, DJI making a fine example of themselves here... You are absolutely right about that and you have obviously more info and experience on this than me and I trust you! So might just get an MPP than? Thanks for sharing your experience!
2018-2-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

REXY Posted at 2018-2-18 15:12
Hahaha, DJI making a fine example of themselves here... You are absolutely right about that and you have obviously more info and experience on this than me and I trust you! So might just get an MPP than? Thanks for sharing your experience!

No problem and enjoy whatever you end up getting. Just make sure it's right for you.
2018-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules