4279 18 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dabow
lvl.2
Flight distance : 161240 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So DJI, in their infinite wisdom, decided to lock down the d-log ISO to 500 on the Phantom 4 Pro - something I really wish I’d known about before buying one! I understand the Inspire 2 also suffered this restriction at one point but, after the backlash from professional users, the lock was removed. So, pray tell, why oh WHY does it still exist on the P4P??. I’m a professional photographer and videographer. My main drone is an I2, but I have a P4P as backup. The P4P is crippled with this ISO lock. Furthermore, for some bizarre reason, d-log carries over to RAW stills (even though it should have nothing to do with it) forcing the same ISO lock there as well!! I understand DJI think they are doing customers a favour by forcing this restriction to what is I’m sure the best ISO for their sensor for dynamic range, but they really should NOT be taking this choice away from the user. It’s like buying a lens and the manufacturer saying “this lens is sharpest at F8 so we’ll lock it at that”. Crazy. Come on DJI, cease with this nonsense and stop forcing settings on your custmers!
Single SelectVote, Total 35 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

97.14% (34)
2.86% (1)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-2-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Of course this is unacceptable.

Setting restrictions to a photographer's gear is rediculous.

I hope an update will correct this functional mistake.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-18
Use props
Cinefilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

My friend.....dont waste your time. Plenty of users have reported this....and guess what.....NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE.
2018-2-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cinefilms Posted at 2018-2-18 14:00
My friend.....dont waste your time. Plenty of users have reported this....and guess what.....NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE.

Still gotta keep hammering the fact home.

Sooner or later...

RedHotPoker
2018-2-18
Use props
Dabow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cinefilms Posted at 2018-2-18 14:00

I know and that’s what annoys me most, especially given the cost of the drone and it has the word ‘Pro’ at the end. The setting for the I2 was reversed so this can be too. We have to keep complaining about this until they do something about it!
2018-2-18
Use props
SanDrone23
lvl.4

Italy

Can you explain me , please , what difference between d-log and cine-log ?
I’m just a enthusiast video maker ... but I would like to improve ...
thanks
2018-2-18
Use props
Dabow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SanDrone23 Posted at 2018-2-18 14:12
Can you explain me , please , what difference between d-log and cine-log ?
I’m just a enthusiast video maker ... but I would like to improve ...
thanks

D-log is the flattest log file. Similar to a still RAW file it aims to capture as much exposure range as possible but does require adjusting in post for contrast and colour. Cinelog is a halfway house between d-log and one of the regular profiles (like Normal). So it’s not as flat as d-log straight from the sensor but also doesn’t capture as great an exposure range.
2018-2-18
Use props
SanDrone23
lvl.4

Italy

Dabow Posted at 2018-2-18 14:18
D-log is the flattest log file. Similar to a still RAW file it aims to capture as much exposure range as possible but does require adjusting in post for contrast and colour. Cinelog is a halfway house between d-log and one of the regular profiles (like Normal). So it’s not as flat as d-log straight from the sensor but also doesn’t capture as great an exposure range.

Thanks....
your explanation is much better then other thousands
So at the moment, I’m going to use cine-log and then when I will get more experience in postproduction I will try d-log .
I hope , DJI , can help you ,and me to improve this feature
2018-2-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its locked to 500 because that is the optimal iso for d-log, DJI staff on here have mentioned it to the engineers to see if it can be removed
2018-2-18
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

I'm in precisely the same boat. Went through the Locked ISO saga with my I2 also. Just bought a 4 Pro and amazed that it's still locked at 500. Also that the 4 Pro appears to sufferfrom gimbal shake similar to I had at one point with the Mavic.

2018-2-19
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

D-log on Phantoms is pointless since you cannot record on RAW file. Using D-log on a compressed file to me makes no sense at all, unless on very specific cases (like matching clips coming from different cameras).
Way better using D-Cinelike with -1, -1, -1 settings. To me it delivers much better results.
Apart from this, I guess DJI is setting this limit due to very high noise in shadows otherwise. BTW I agree that we should be able to increase ISO speed in D-Log, but we should be aware that noise will be highly visible. Even though ISO500 still has to be used as a basis for better comparing exposure reading.
2018-2-19
Use props
Dabow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-2-18 20:39
Its locked to 500 because that is the optimal iso for d-log, DJI staff on here have mentioned it to the engineers to see if it can be removed

It can be removed because it was never there in the first place
2018-2-19
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

Giammi Posted at 2018-2-19 03:19
D-log on Phantoms is pointless since you cannot record on RAW file. Using D-log on a compressed file to me makes no sense at all, unless on very specific cases (like matching clips coming from different cameras).
Way better using D-Cinelike with -1, -1, -1 settings. To me it delivers much better results.
Apart from this, I guess DJI is setting this limit due to very high noise in shadows otherwise. BTW I agree that we should be able to increase ISO speed in D-Log, but we should be aware that noise will be highly visible. Even tough ISO500 still has to be used as a basis for better comparing exposure reading.

I don't agree. I  use DLog at -3,-3,-3 on my Inspire 2 h264 and it works fine. Also on the Mavic if you don't expect to shoot at -3,-3,-3 and get anything back in post. -1,-1,0 looks good. From what I understand, DLog when recording to MicroSD isn't a "real" Log file, but just a very flat profile.
2018-2-19
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

using DLOG with an 8bit codec behind a 1" sensor really is a questionable endeavor... limited data space and dynamic range.
also, LOG really needs to be exposed properly to get any benefits, which is very tricky in aerial videography with often drastically changing contrast / lighting even within single takes.

D-Cine is flat enough and most likely covers the sensor dynamic range in 99% of cases.
is it a nuisance that they fix DLOG at 500? yes. does it cause problems? no, just use D-Cine.
you wont miss any image quality.

just my 2¢
2018-2-19
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

Sebb Posted at 2018-2-19 07:45
using DLOG with an 8bit codec behind a 1" sensor really is a questionable endeavor... limited data space and dynamic range.
also, LOG really needs to be exposed properly to get any benefits, which is very tricky in aerial videography with often drastically changing contrast / lighting even within single takes.

Same thing I said two posts ago. I more than 100% agree with you.
2018-2-19
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-18 14:01
Still gotta keep hammering the fact home.

I agree, unless something is linked to a safety issue (that can be demonstrated) then stop with the restrictions ...and for that matter the overly sensitive "Warnings" in the app!
2018-2-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-2-19 09:50
I agree, unless something is linked to a safety issue (that can be demonstrated) then stop with the restrictions ...and for that matter the overly sensitive "Warnings" in the app!

Is it Siri, who is so tender?

Or perhaps the Phantom, who remains unspoken? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-2-19
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I do appreciate the explanation above with the difference between D-log and Cine-log.  Thanks for that one!
2018-2-20
Use props
Mac Hai Ninh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 157556 ft
Vietnam

I look forward to having DJI unlocked the ISO 500 so I can be more creative in the way I shoot movies, especially when shooting movies in the evening and at night.
2020-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules