Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dangerous new bug in DJI Go
4264 37 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SanDiegoAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14980 ft
United States

Just got a chance to fly my Mavic Pro after the last app update, and went to an area I've flown many times that is on the edge of a 5 mile airport radius, with a 30 year old city sponsored RC airplane field and a mountain between me at the airport.  

Shortly after takeoff, a large black box comes up on the screen asking of I will take responsibily for the flight, and I confirm it with a touch on the checkbox and then the confirm button.  Never seen that crap before, but fine it's done.  About 10 seconds later as I'm flying in a straight line, it pops up again, and I confirm again.  I'm good for about 30 seconds, then it's there AGAIN!  WTF!   

I figured there MUST be a limit to these, no idiot would program an app to BLOCK THE PILOT VIEW AND CONTROLS over and over an unlimited number of times, but I WAS WRONG.   After easily 20 times in 3 minutes having to take my hand off the sticks to confirm this BS screen, I was ready to kill someone!  SO DANGEROUS!!! I gave up confirming since that does no good, and took pics the best I could with my vision around the black confirm boxs covering most of the screen in the middle.

That lasted just a few minutes, because I then got the dreaded "Aircraft Disconnected" status which I know by now means that the app has failed AGAIN, the camera has been shut off AGAIN, and I have to fly the aircraft manually back and end the flight early AGAIN.  

DJI has a great product with the Mavic Pro, but this is rediculous.  The DJI GO app needs to be FIXED.  There is NO EXCUSE for blocking the app screen with a confirm box OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again.

And -- they've know about their app's "aircraft disconnect" problem for months, and the Android "must boot twice" problem for months.  
2018-2-18
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You could do with sticking Android in your title somewhere, got me worried for a second. So far I've had no issues with iOS.
2018-2-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

No problems here ANDROID! Galaxy s8+ .....what kind of android device do u have op? I have had this box pop up but i hit the little check mark and thats it gone
2018-2-19
Use props
SanDiegoAir
lvl.2
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-19 01:10
No problems here ANDROID! Galaxy s8+ .....what kind of android device do u have op? I have had this box pop up but i hit the little check mark and thats it gone

Samsung Tab S2
2018-2-19
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

I did a roadtrip with my motorbike a few years back which kept me edging and crossing German, Belgium and Luxemburg borders, had my Phone connected to my headset for listening to music which was interupted every minute or so with an incoming SMS beep. When we stopped for a break my Phone had 120 'welcome to Germany, Belgium and Luxemburg' messages.

It looks like DJI changed their NFZ's and you keep crossing the borders off it on and off. I've flown well within an DJI 'enhanced warning zone' yesterday, and got the message to confirm just once.
(this particular 'enhanced warning zone' wasn't a real NFZ conform domestic rules and NFZ charts)
2018-2-19
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Edge of 5 mile radius NFZ may not be applicable anymore, if you look at the aviation maps the NFZ of some airports, they extend the NFZ into a rectangle along the landing/takeoff flight path out further than 5 miles, and maybe the GO4 app is just catching up to that requirement. That maybe the case here. Also, with a mountain between you and the airport, you probably can't see or hear an airplane taking off towards you. Have you checked what do the people of the flying club at that field have to say.  
Also, i would not say this is a "bug" in the app, so suggest you revise the thread title.
2018-2-19
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

Well, I guess the obvious solution (i.e. fix for the DJI Go App) would be to store the confirmation for the flight session (i.e. as long as the drone is connected to the DJI Go app) and thus preventing reconfirmation every time the GPS position toggles between "here I can fly safely" and "this is a restricted zone. Please know what you are doing!"
2018-2-19
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-2-19 01:04
You could do with sticking Android in your title somewhere, got me worried for a second. So far I've had no issues with iOS.

Most of us aren't seeing issues on android either.  Sounds more like a cable issue.

Also ridiculously exaggerated.  "So dangerous".  There is nothing dangerous in the above description at all.
2018-2-19
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

This happens to me too sometimes its gone when I click it once, sometimes it just pops up every 5 seconds. I have the LG G5 and I fly the spark
2018-2-19
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Doesn't sound like a fun problem to have.  Hope you get to the bottom of it.
2018-2-19
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Welcome to the unbearable DJI kindergarten.

Check here if DJI has set restrictions on the area you want to fly in:  https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map  Are you in a marked area you're in DJI'd violence even if your own government says you have permission to fly in the area. Can only encourage you to complain directly to the DJI of the blocking in the area.

Regards Leif.

2018-2-19
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
Flight distance : 160531 ft
United States

Oh gosh, I'm glad not everyone's having the same issue. I haven't really done any flights yet - got the Mavic Air last week, and it's rained every day.  

I live within five miles of an unpaved, non-controlled tower, and I still get the pop-ups. But at least they're smallish.  I would love to see (for safety's sake) a single pop-up that we can accept pre-flight, and then NO pop-ups except for safety-related items. Flying near my local airport isn't a safety concern if I notify prior to flight.

Another weird one is, just having the aircraft powered-up, sitting on my table, playing around, after 20 minutes (at...98% battery life?) it verbally warns me that the maximum flight time is close to being exceeded, and I haven't even powered up the rotors and/or taken off yet.  Flight time should start when you take off and/or power up the rotors, not after I sync everything up.
2018-2-19
Use props
SanDiegoAir
lvl.2
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-2-19 07:37
Most of us aren't seeing issues on android either.  Sounds more like a cable issue.

Also ridiculously exaggerated.  "So dangerous".  There is nothing dangerous in the above description at all.

You think a 'cable issue' would cause a program to put up popup boxes over and over instead of accepting 1 and then continuing operation??  No way.

And you don't think blocking the pilot's view, and requiring him to take his hands and attention off the control sticks over and over isn't dangerous??   I strongly disagree.  
2018-2-19
Use props
fans4d21eb6a
New
United States

Not a new problem. Seems they have no interest infixing it. It has been there for months. Cannot enjoy it if it is always disconnecting.
2018-2-19
Use props
dfrancos01
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1038458 ft
Mexico

If you are in IOS, and have made the letters on "settings" bigger or have the default view on Augmented; you would't be able to see the check mark on the screen to keep the warning off.
2018-2-19
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

The box did the same to me this weekend, I was using an approved Asus tablet (not bright at all though) and becasue of the limited ability to see the app I was unable to see the boxes we need to check next to the sentences until I went into the shade
2018-2-19
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

Same thing happended to me this weekend, its a liability acceptance to help keep irresponsible peole from causing DJI liabilities which is understandable
2018-2-19
Use props
SanDiegoAir
lvl.2
United States

CKE ENTERPRISES Posted at 2018-2-19 16:09
Same thing happended to me this weekend, its a liability acceptance to help keep irresponsible peole from causing DJI liabilities which is understandable

How is it "understandable" to put that box up 20 or more times within 5 minutes, blocking the pilot view and requiring the pilot to remove hands from the controls to tap the screen twice each time?

Would you also think that requiring a driver of a car on the highway going full speed to have most of their windshield turned black until they replied to a text message that said 'drive safely' -- and did this 20 times in 5 minutes??
2018-2-19
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

My reply didn't fully post twice, I was saying it's understandable for DJI to avoid liabilities and what didn't get posted was the following >

this should be something that everyone agrees to upon starting the product the first time<
2018-2-19
Use props
Cmartin3977
lvl.4
Flight distance : 304744 ft
United States

I’ve ran into this also. You are flying in the edge of a warning zone, so whenever it picks up that area on gps it sends the warning.  You need to move to a different spot to fly to avoid it coming up all the time.  I agree it should accept and store the information instead of sending multiple warnings
2018-2-19
Use props
CelticRambler
lvl.1
France

Not *exactly* the same problem here, but in a similar vein. This morning, I'd followed "best practice" and flown upwind to do some site surveillance at about 750m distance and 350m AGL. About 15-20 minutes into the flight, the app crashed and it's damn difficult to maintain line-of-sight when you're trying to figure out what just happened, especially when the last thing the app did before dying was flash up a high wind warning. Five minutes later, app restarted, my MP is now 750m *downwind* and drifting further by the second. The high wind warning is back, now coupled with a low battery warning, both taking space on the screen, and - of course - the incessant beeping.

For five minutes, I really struggled to get any forward flight (i.e. into the wind), even after dropping down to 30m (had to give up on line of sight), so now I'm getting a critically low battery warning. Fair enough, but I've been fighting this situation for five minutes - I'm aware of what's going on! So I finally get clear of the motorway and the village, when the app tells me that it's initiating an emergency landing, and then I get that whole-screen blackout that SanDiegoAir mentionned, asking me to confirm that I agree to the emergency landing. So hands off the controls - knowing that the aircraft only ended up where it is because it *couldn't* maintain its position without my input - to confirm.

Then another whole-screen blackout telling me that obstacle avoidance needed to be disabled to allow landing. WTF???

Then *another* one ... telling me that the landing site was unsuitable and could I please choose somewhere else. I didn't.

And, of course, non-stop beeping, beeping, beeping as if all those messages and the red icons on the screen (when I could see it) weren't enough to let me know that I was out of time.

All-in-all, an extremely stressful end to what should have been a fairly routine flight, due to DJI's seeming obsession with covering their own asses instead of letting us manage a potential crisis in the calmest possible circumstances.

2018-2-25
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i have 2 devises - my samsung was sold to me by my drone supplier - mostly i have issues with it so i got another devise. when things are bad i alternate between the two each time hoping that one will work. My samsung tab a6 recently gave a similar issue although after about 2nd time  it went away. Anyway now my drone has been sent back so no problems for me right now - except i am grounded:-(
2018-2-25
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473743 ft
United States

what dji should do is have ONE screen asking if we want to stop ALL msgs if we do we are agreeing to all the warning that could happen OR a function in the menu letting us set how many times we want to see a warning msgs and how much time in between them

2018-2-25
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

cable has nothing to do with it (the problem)
2018-2-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just don't fly next to an airport! no more pop ups... problem solved. BTW, the minute you got the pop ups you should have came back and landed.
2018-2-25
Use props
SanDiegoAir
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-2-25 15:13
Just don't fly next to an airport! no more pop ups... problem solved. BTW, the minute you got the pop ups you should have came back and landed.

There is no place in the county that does not get warnings, and some of the "airports" are helipads that are decades old and never been used.  One is a glider port, which has no powered aircraft at all and is only used in high wind conditions because that's the only way gliders can fly.

The correct answer is to STOP with the pop-ups that dangerously cover the screen and controls, and NO pop-up should require a pilot to take hands off the controls 20+ times.
2018-2-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SanDiegoAir Posted at 2018-2-25 15:21
There is no place in the county that does not get warnings, and some of the "airports" are helipads that are decades old and never been used.  One is a glider port, which has no powered aircraft at all and is only used in high wind conditions because that's the only way gliders can fly.

The correct answer is to STOP with the pop-ups that dangerously cover the screen and controls, and NO pop-up should require a pilot to take hands off the controls 20+ times.

Plenty of spaces with no pop up. I use UAV FOPRECAST before I leave home and check the location, winds, helipad, etc.

You are on the bottom on the priority list for who get to fly. Get your AC and drive few miles to the other side. Problem solved.

As I said before, the minute you get a pop you should land and get out of Dodge to another Dodge...

2018-3-1
Use props
SanDiegoAir
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-3-1 12:34
Plenty of spaces with no pop up. I use UAV FOPRECAST before I leave home and check the location, winds, helipad, etc.

You are on the bottom on the priority list for who get to fly. Get your AC and drive few miles to the other side. Problem solved.

What a weird answer.  People buy this product to photograph the area they live in, not to drive several hours into the desert to photograph tumbleweeds.
2018-3-1
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SanDiegoAir Posted at 2018-3-1 12:42
What a weird answer.  People buy this product to photograph the area they live in, not to drive several hours into the desert to photograph tumbleweeds.

Said few miles... If you only want to photograph were you live get on GOOGLE EARTH.

Again, you don't buy a drone if you live next to an airport! and your too to drive. Most airports are expanding their radius and you would not want to take a chance and hit a flying...

What about people living in DC??? You don't see them complaining do you?  
2018-3-1
Use props
SanDiegoAir
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-3-1 13:08
Said few miles... If you only want to photograph were you live get on GOOGLE EARTH.

Again, you don't buy a drone if you live next to an airport! and your too  to drive. Most airports are expanding their radius and you would not want to take a chance and hit a flying...

There you go people.  

For the 85% of Americans who live near urban areas, "Dronist" insists that you do NOT buy a drone, but "get on Google Earth" instead.  He used teen girl emojies, so he's dead serious, too.   

Perhaps DJI should offer a full refund to the 85% of Americans YOU claim should not buy one?  
2018-3-1
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

I saw that prompt but only before take-off. I was flying my drone in Apollo XI. I don't know if I will get the same prompt if I try to fly to a different area. I haven't flown for weeks now and my batteries have started to discharge by itself.
2018-3-1
Use props
Bernardo3477
lvl.1
Flight distance : 746148 ft
Brazil

I live on the edge of a airport NFZ and i never had any problems with IOS or Android.
2018-3-4
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SanDiegoAir Posted at 2018-3-1 13:15
There you go people.  

For the 85% of Americans who live near urban areas, "Dronist" insists that you do NOT buy a drone, but "get on Google Earth" instead.  He used teen girl emojies, so he's dead serious, too.   

Dude,

I'll pay you for an UBER or LYFT to take you away for 15 minutes drive so you can stop nagggggging and bettttching about not being able to fly over your house because you are next to an airport!!!!

Since this is your favorite emogi have one more on me  

2018-3-6
Use props
SanDiegoAir
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-3-6 20:41
Dude,

I'll pay you for an UBER or LYFT to take you away for 15 minutes drive so you can stop nagggggging and bettttching about not being able to fly over your house because you are next to an airport!!!!

You're obviously too stupid to look up any facts behind what you suggest, but I'll be happy to take your money.  You don't have the IQ to comprehend the statement that I DON'T LIVE NEXT TO AN AIRPORT, but  I'll accept your money,

Uber estimate is $650 to go outside of the urban area, so PAY UP.  

Not everyone wants to live in the "porch banjo" states like you.  Enough with your off-topic trolling.
2018-3-6
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SanDiegoAir Posted at 2018-3-6 20:58
You're obviously too stupid to look up any facts behind what you suggest, but I'll be happy to take your money.  You don't have the IQ to comprehend the statement that I DON'T LIVE NEXT TO AN AIRPORT, but  I'll accept your money,

I am so impressed with your level of education and the choice of words.  

When people loose arguments they start with name calling, using CAPS and mainly they forget what they initially wrote and start contradicting themselves. Offending all the HILLBILLIES won't score you any points either...

Take a breather, use the a up arrow button (will take you to the top)   and read what you posted you :  

"went to an area I've flown many times that is on the edge of a 5 mile airport radius"

About the $650.00, post your bank account and am pretty sure a lot of people will donate few extra dollars to send you way out of the country or to Hotel California so they can stop reading your !

2018-3-7
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473743 ft
United States

sorry I edited post I posted in wrong thread and it wont let me deleted post
2018-3-7
Use props
sludge
lvl.1
Flight distance : 831322 ft
United States

DJI have overstepped. The data they used for the GEO locations is inaccurate.
2019-3-15
Use props
Thunderbirdsarego
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10476 ft
Australia

SanDiegoAir Posted at 2018-3-6 20:58

maybe do some research into Geo System...video is from 2017

If you answer the pop up correctly it won't keep promting you, again and again.
2019-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules