My phantom turns upside down, instantly after take-off
7667 11 2015-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oletom
New

Norway

Hi, recently Ive started having some issues With my phantom. For a long time now, it has flown just fine. However - after no changes to my setup-
it has started turning upside Down right after takeoff. Its at the point where it does not even leave the ground. as soon as I give it any throttle, it just flips right on its head.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Or has anyone experienced anyhting similar?

Note that the setup (propellers, engines) are the same, With which it has flown just fine before.

Cheers

-TO
2015-5-1
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Use the NAZA Assistant, go to the Tools tab and check the IMU calibration to see if everything is within limits.  
When was the last time you did a successful compass calibration?
Does it flip in the same direction every time?
Have you tried changing props?
2015-5-2
Use props
nig_smith
Second Officer

United Kingdom

If you are using the original 8inch bolt on props, not the later ones with the integrated self tightening hub, check you have them on the correct motors.

As Gil above has suggested check your settings in the Flight Assistant software. An important one to check is that you haven't inadvertently selected a PLUS (+) quad configuration instead of the X configuration.

Your description of the problem is indicative of having an incorrect prop and motor rotation configuration.

Regards

Nidge
2015-5-2
Use props
emjayef
lvl.1

United States

I've run into the same problem along with other as-yet-unexplained issues.  When the flipping over issue developed, it had just gone through one battery and ran fine.  Upon startup, after inserting another battery, it seemed like the motors were idling slower than normal.  I let it go through it's homing and gps routine, then tried to fly it and it flipped over.  The first thing I looked at was the LED and it was still flashing green telling me the compass and gps acquisition was okay.  So I connected to NAZA Assistant and calibrated it, even though it told me it didn't need calibration.  After that, I started it up again and it flew just fine.  

After reading through many of the problems presented on this forum, I get the feeling that the one major glitch in this thing is the calibration and the fact that it just goes out for no apparent reason.  I have inquired as to just what calibrating it does, but have gotten no answer.  That tells me that no one really knows what calibrating it does.  That, or it's a big secret.  Either way, this is a huge problem and needs to be addressed by DJI.  But considering they've just come out with Phantom 3, I imagine they'll ignore the earlier ones and we are just left holding the bag.  I keep looking for a firmware update, but there is none and probably won't be one.  From everything I've read, DJI isn't known for its support.  On the contrary, they are known for their lack of support.  Good luck.
2015-5-18
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

emjayef@yahoo.c Posted at 2015-5-18 22:43
I've run into the same problem along with other as-yet-unexplained issues.  When the flipping over i ...

Still fighting the calibration issues?
2015-7-3
Use props
Jules470
New

United States

I had the same exact issue. I flew my Phantom 3 times without any issues and it worked flawlessly. I went to fly it today and it kept turning over and over and over despite numerous starts. I was in an open field as well and GPS was working,.

I came home and checked troubleshooting guide and it said my props are installed incorrectly so I changed two of them to the correct setting and it worked fine during a test run. Not sure if the motors reversed when I had two of them installed incorrectly???? I didn't setup anything in the software assistant..
2015-8-11
Use props
Jorer
New

Sweden

Hi
I have the same problem
1 new prop now.... this is no OK. why can't DJI have an answer? my phantom have done this 3-4 times now.
I have notice that its happen when I just landing, not set new home point (not stop motors). never when I start from a new home point?
its happened right now, after new firmware and after calibrate IMU, and compass?

hope on answer!  
2016-3-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jorer Posted at 2016-3-19 06:37
Hi
I have the same problem
1 new prop now.... this is no OK. why can't DJI have an answer? my pha ...

This is a very old thread, do not expect an answer as the people in this thread may not even be members of this forum any longer. It is best to start a new thread to ask for help with your problem.

From what you are saying, this is a known issue. If you land the aircraft and leave the motors running, then try to take off again, sometimes the aircraft will flip over. This is because whenever you land, you should shut the motors down, then if you want to take off again, re-start the motors and take off.

The reason this happens is that when you land the aircraft and leave the motors running, the aircraft does not know it has landed, there are no sensors to tell it that it is sitting on the ground, so even though it is on the ground, it will be trying to make small corrections to the position of the aircraft, because it think it is hovering in the air.

But if when you land, and you then pull the left stick down and hold it for 3 seconds, the aircraft sees that ity is not descending any longer and shuts the motors down. Now it knows it has landed.

So, in summary, always shut the motors down when you land and restart them again if you want to fly again.
2016-3-18
Use props
t_pbloke
New

United Kingdom

hi I've just seen your post as I've only just joined and oddly enough I have the same problem after opening my phantom up to sort another issue out to do with video feed I unplugged my video cable from the yellow box tided my wires up mistakenly plugged my video cable in upside down it's taken me 3 days to figure this out but I've turned it right way up fingers crossed its sorted
2016-7-31
Use props
fans6f4fdc8d
lvl.1

Canada

I have the same problem after I did a successful update of firmware on the phantom 3 advanced It turns over on start up and the control stick up and down now moves my camera sideways. Any suggextions?   
2017-11-26
Use props
fans6f4fdc8d
lvl.1

Canada

HI after a successful update of the firmare the phantom 3 advance turns over and the controller scenter indicate motor ubstraction.before update no problems.should have let it be as it was before
2017-11-26
Use props
Henk Van Strate
lvl.1

Canada

What is a nasie assistant..?
2017-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules