Osmo Mobile 2 Panorama Questions
11210 21 2018-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

While I've had the Mavic Pro for about a year now, the Osmo Mobile 2 is my first handheld gimbal and I have a few questions...

iPhone X Rear Camera produces an image 4032x3024
iPhone X Front Camera procudes an image 3088x2320

While using the gimbal and in the DJI Go app's camera mode (not video) the resulting image from my iPhone X's Rear Camera is 3840x2160 which is 4K.  Why isn't it taking images in the full camera resolution?

My DJI Go Panorama Quality in settings = High

When I take a 3x3 Panorama, the resulting image is only 4330x1885 (actual resolution varies a little depending on the pano processed) When it combines 9 images into one, why isn't the output resolution much higher?  (If I'm at a location and plan to take several panos, I need an option to have it process the pano later so it doesn't waste my battery/time while out in the field making images.)

180 degree pano takes 5 images and the combined output is 6671x893 (actual resolution varies a little depending on the pano processed).  Why is the vertical resolution so low?
330 degree pano takes 7 images and created a 9280x861 output. Again, Why is the vertical resolution so low?
When I take a 3x3 or 180 or 330 degree pano and I have it save the individual files too, those 5-7-9 images can't be stiched together by Lightroom... any idea why?
2018-2-19
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Currently, the Osmo Mobile 2 will only take photos in the front camera, not the rear one. Any questions on resolution can be resolved by reviewing the settings in the app as well as updating any firmware.
2018-2-19
Use props
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

I think you mean 'panos' and not photos in your first sentence.  I can take pics with the front facing camera, just not panos.  But that wasn't my question.  My Panorama Settings are set to High.  My firmware is up to date as best I can tell... 2.1.0.20.

When I take a pano on my Mavic, my vertical resolution can be like 3x greater (a recent Mavic pano I did was 19000x2500) Both cameras (Mavic Pro and iPhone X) are 12MP.  I was expecting the pano mode on the Osmo Mobile 2 to produce something in a similar printable resolution.   So I ask again... Why is the resolution so low in these modes when my iPhone X camera is clearly capable of more?

2018-2-19
Use props
Robbindek
New
Flight distance : 75440 ft
Netherlands

Full agree with CynicalZombie, when you set the Panorama Settings to High and the phone takes 9 photos. You expect a great image with a high resolution.
The resolution  now is bad, around 2000 x 1300 and 500kb. Please fix this issue. Use the same settings as the Mavic drone the resolution there is much higher.
2018-4-10
Use props
vladm
New
Ukraine

Just tried today the panorama mode and noticed low resolution of my panoramas too. My smartphone camera has a 13MP resolution (4160x3120) but full panorama has 5111x1361, fisheye 3076x1338 and ultra wide angle has 2106x1359, all resolutions less than original 13MP from the camera. It is too low, I'm expecting at least 2x higher than original resolution, and finally as high as possible...
2018-4-14
Use props
DaveDowngrade
New
Germany

Same here with the iPhone 8. I've found the "RAW" pictures on the iPhone (via iTunes) but it was disappointing,too. Just Jpegs with a bit higher resolution. I hope they will fix that or I have to return my new osmo mobile 2
2018-6-9
Use props
Daddy6466
lvl.2
Canada

DaveDowngrade Posted at 2018-6-9 05:49
Same here with the iPhone 8. I've found the "RAW" pictures on the iPhone (via iTunes) but it was disappointing,too. Just Jpegs with a bit higher resolution. I hope they will fix that or I have to return my new osmo mobile 2

Use a 3rd party program to fix your issues.  I am sure DJI will have to develop a solution to this and FAST
2018-6-11
Use props
kbm79
lvl.3
France

Anyone got any 3rd party recommendations for stiching? I've tried Bimostich Panorama Stich for Android - seems ok. Resolution from a 180 panoramic was 3810 x2454, (4mb file size) much larger than the DJI app but not huge as you would expect.

Another question - Is it possible to take vertical panoramics with the OM2? When i turn the OM2 to portrait, it tells me the OSM must be horizontal for panoramics.
2018-6-13
Use props
pauland
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Daddy6466 Posted at 2018-6-11 04:52
Use a 3rd party program to fix your issues.  I am sure DJI will have to develop a solution to this and FAST

There's no sign of DJI doing anything about the resolution or apologising for the backward step.
2018-8-4
Use props
astute
lvl.1
United States

I'd love to see this improved as well.  It would be much more convenient to have the DJI software stitch together a high resolution image than to manually perform that step in an external program.
2018-8-8
Use props
farbod
New
United States

is there any way to use panorama mode with self timer ?
2018-8-13
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

IMO the lack of resolution in Panos is the biggest issue with the OM2, and directly in contradiction with statements regarding hi-res panos on their website. I understand that the phone's memory etc. will have a bearing on how large the image can be, but the current capability is laughable! They need to fix it!
2018-8-15
Use props
LBU
New
Hungary

iPhone SE single pass pano with “Photos” can produce a 16382x3708 60MP 13.5MB JPG file, than a 9 shots, more accurately aligned, panorama should be at least as high in resolution. - The max. resolution I got with OM2 pano. is only 2.6MP. – It’s ridiculous!  
2018-10-9
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391493 ft
Germany

I've posted same doubts about final Panorama size and compression in my post.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-169554-1-1.html

I remember that in the Osmo2 settings there is an option to save unstithed photos... (but not sure if it's OSMO 2 or mi Mavic Pro). Then I wanted to try stitch them in post. Sure results will be better ad much higher resolution and less compression.

I hope someone from DJI will post some update and
2018-10-16
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
Germany

farbod Posted at 2018-8-13 23:36
is there any way to use panorama mode with self timer ?

As far as I know not!
2018-10-16
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
Germany

DJI-Mark Posted at 2018-2-19 10:43
Currently, the Osmo Mobile 2 will only take photos in the front camera, not the rear one. Any questions on resolution can be resolved by reviewing the settings in the app as well as updating any firmware.

...Questions maybe can possibly resolved looking at the settings, but not results!
FW is updated, resolution is set to HIGH, and some brain usage on top of that didn't make it.
Panoramas are still Low resolution and much compressed.
2018-10-16
Use props
fans4fea993f
New
United States

While is this not resolved yet?  It's now late October 2018 and no updates or replies?
There is so much potential but two glaring issues.  
First... Maintaining full resolution images while stitching oanoramics and
Second... Drastically increase speed of stitching or provide option to do so later. I timed it today. It took 4 minutes to stitch a panoramic on my brand new iPhone XS Max. Completely takes you out of the moment when you have to wait that long. The magic zoom can stitch higher Rez, this should be some software update.
2018-10-22
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
Italy

HIGH RES pictures available on PANORAMAS (no matter it's a 9 or up to 27 pics you've taken.)
Finally something is moving and DJI worked on it!
I did not red the release note if there where some... (I do attach the last update history. Just information on DJI GO update list on App Store for iOS, and nothing was mentioned about Panorama keeping now all uncompressed photos and give the possibility to same them and stitch them with external software and getting a high resolution image at the end.
I've tried it out and now it's what we needed. A small and LowRes Stitched picture on the device to see result and all photos in normal resolution (as your phone camera res allows it) available to be copied to your device to get a high Res and probably also stitched better image.

Thank's DJI, you should have probably made this feature more noticeable and in the list of improvements of DJI GO app update.

Cheers!!!
2018-11-25
Use props
AlexOsmo2
lvl.1
Romania

Bimostich get bad result for me. Any other software? For Windows or Android?
2019-5-14
Use props
djiuser_Goudpw8VtqZd
New
Norway

AlexOsmo2 Posted at 5-14 11:53

Microsoft ICE 2 its very good and free
2019-5-22
Use props
fans21ac8e2c
New
Italy

Anyone have any ideas as to why I seem to get a bit of a black smudging in my panorama photos when there is blue sky? I’m using iPhone 8 and DJI go app- pretty new to it all
2019-6-3
Use props
John_Oregon
lvl.1
United States

AlexOsmo2 Posted at 5-14 11:53

I use PTGui.  The software is powerful but the UI isn't great.  It's fast and will stitch huge panoramas.  It's not free though.
2019-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules