Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is the Litchi app worth it?
627535 627535 2018-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Christine96
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-2-21 22:32
That gets repeated a lot on forums but it's still a myth.
Using Litchi or other 3rd party apps does not void your warranty.

I would like one of the DJI forum officials to confirm this.  
2018-9-3
Use props
Christine96
Second Officer
United States

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-2-24 17:34
Update:
I just spent three days going over my Litchi short mission (very short...5 min). I finally decided to chance it...OMG it flew smoother than ever could have flown it manually.
I was so nervous, I first read up on all the controls in the app, and then spent hours..days rechecking everything.I was so nervous I forgot to turn on the video or take a picture!!

If I decide to try it I'll stick to very short flights at first.  No more than say 200' round trip.  
2018-9-3
Use props
Christine96
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-3 15:45
Thank you@  Sure feel fresh to share them.

Awesome thanks!
2018-9-3
Use props
Christine96
Second Officer
United States

flyhigh69 Posted at 2018-2-21 04:09
The litchi app is great if you want to stake out a mission. I mean really, you can fly  bird at 30mph, 200 to 300 feet up, and do  35,000 to 40k ffoot mission (round trip of course)  from home point. You will loose signal but Litchi will not! It keeps the drone going. I my self have lost signal, first time i paniced, but poof signal comes back and the bird comes back safely.  Crazy huh. have you watched some of these videos that are posted? Pretty cool stuff. The preflight mission planning with the waypoints is the coolest part of the Litchi app I think. And now with google Earth 3D mapping its unreal. Totally cool.

What if happens if signal loss is permanent?  Will the drone stick to the mission?  Does Litchi have RTH?
2018-9-3
Use props
Christine96
Second Officer
United States

Will the home point still be recorded as usual when using the Litchi app?  
2018-9-3
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 7722949 ft
  • >>>

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-3 16:30
What if happens if signal loss is permanent?  Will the drone stick to the mission?  Does Litchi have RTH?

Once inititated a Litchi Waypoint mission will complete the program even if you turn the RC off.  You can even program the bird to land itself automatically at the end if you choose.  Because the bird is flying autonomously, you must do your research & plan your mission carefully.  Birds with Obstacle Avoidance can use it during a Litchi flight but, depending on the model, this can limit your maximum flight speed to that supported by OA.  I disable OA for my flights as the close building passes sometimes trigger the sensors to take evasive action.
2018-9-3
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-3 15:45
Yeah that's what makes me nervous about using it.  That said I do have the app on my iPad mini.  I'm itching to try it though.  Maybe when my warranty expires or maybe I'll buy a sacrificial drone for cheap on eBay.

Look at picking up a lightly-used P3 Standard.  They make great Litchi platforms.  What my favorite missions are flown with.
2018-9-3
Use props
Christine96
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-3 17:09
Once inititated a Litchi Waypoint mission will complete the program even if you turn the RC off.  You can even program the bird to land itself automatically at the end if you choose.  Because the bird is flying autonomously, you must do your research & plan your mission carefully.  Birds with Obstacle Avoidance can use it during a Litchi flight but, depending on the model, this can limit your maximum flight speed to that supported by OA.  I disable OA for my flights as the close building passes sometimes trigger the sensors to take evasive action.

I have a Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic Air.  Will the RTH on the controller still work during a Litchi Mission?
2018-9-3
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-3 17:04

You still allow the bird to initialize like normal & it records a Home Point.  When in RC range you can pause or cancel a Waypoint mission or engage RTH.  Once the bird flies out of range it will continue the flight to the end.
2018-9-3
Use props
Christine96
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-3 17:19
Look at picking up a lightly-used P3 Standard.  They make great Litchi platforms.  What my favorite missions are flown with.

Yeah that's the model I was thinking.  Thanks!
2018-9-3
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-3 15:52
So is the mission uploaded to the drone?

Correct.  Once your mission is ready you fire up the drone & Litchi, upload the mission to the drone, then hit the Play icon & off she goes!
2018-9-3
Use props
Christine96
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-3 17:23
You still allow the bird to initialize like normal & it records a Home Point.  When in RC range you can pause or cancel a Waypoint mission or engage RTH.  Once the bird flies out of range it will continue the flight to the end.

Oh now I understand.  So I'm guessing the mission is recorded to the drone.
2018-9-3
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-3 15:55

Unfortunately the current moderators here have no idea and I wouldn't take any notice if they did attempt to answer.
They've frequently shown they don't understand this (along with many other things).

I'll say it again as clearly as I can to explain what the real situation is.
Although the 3rd-party-software-voids-warranty thing gets repeated a lot on forums, like so much you read here, it's still a myth.
Using Litchi or other 3rd party apps does not void your warranty.

As you would expect, DJI won't cover it if the cause of the incident was the 3rd party software.
But it would be very unusual for a 3rd party app to cause a crash.
I don't think I've ever heard of any.
If your Phantom crashes and it can be shown that the cause was a DJI issue, DJI will cover it regardless of the software being used at the time.
You may have trouble retrieving the drone to prove the cause of the incident and that would be a problem, but that can happen even with DJI software.

What if happens if signal loss is permanent?  Will the drone stick to the mission?
A waypoint mission will continue if signal is lost.
This is why it is important to be certain that the mission was planned properly and will be clear of obstacles.

Does Litchi have RTH?
Litchi uses the RTH feature that's a part of the Phantom's firmware.
All the Phantom features/limits etc that are baked into the Phantom firmware work regardless of what software you fly with.
... including recording the home point.

2018-9-3
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-3 15:58
If I decide to try it I'll stick to very short flights at first.  No more than say 200' round trip.

Play around with the app until you become familiar, then go to a big school after hours or an open field & cteate some short missions.  You can program a quick mission in a minute, just error high on your altitudes to make sure you miss obstacles.
2018-9-3
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-3 17:19
I have a Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic Air.  Will the RTH on the controller still work during a Litchi Mission?

As long as you are in RC contact with the drone you can trigger an RTH like normal.  The mission will abort & the bird will return home according to your RTH settings.
2018-9-3
Use props
Diojr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6211 ft
Denmark

@Dirty Bird

Just out of curiosity - in what country are you flying?

By my standards, the videos you've uploaded are far from safe if not downright dangerous. Autonomous flight, BVLOS, flying over people and heavy traffic, seemingly flying too high as well. Not the way to fly your drone if you ask me, and most certainly something that will cause a fatality if flying like that becomes standard.
2018-9-25
Use props
BigDNY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13094 ft
United States

Diojr Posted at 2018-9-25 22:27
@Dirty Bird

I was thinking the exact same thing. At least a couple FAA rules I know of were violated in those videos even if not autonomous. Definitely a violation by going totally autonomous AND no visual line of site. Technically you should have line of site, but I know we all push that one when flying with a live feed, and the pilot needs to always be in control. Rules or not, going full autonomous seems like a really bad idea to me. You are clueless as to whether or not something has gone wrong on the other end.
2018-9-27
Use props
RickB27
lvl.1

Netherlands

can anyone help me myoneplus 6 with android 9 is verry laggyin the live viewofte GO before app.. anyone got some surgestions how i can solve this?
2018-9-30
Use props
David J.
Captain
Flight distance : 1059800 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-3 17:19

What makes the P3S better than others? I am thinking of getting Litchi, and I have a P3S, so it seems especially intriguing.
2018-10-13
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

Diojr Posted at 2018-9-25 22:27
@Dirty Bird

Well I didn't ask, but I thank you for your thoughts.  My flights aren't for everyone & I see I need to dust off the old Dirty Bird disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER:

Dirty Bird Videos creates videos out of sheer joy to demonstrate the amazing possibilities achievable with DJI's "Phantom" & "Mavic" series quadcopter aircraft. These videos may be unsuitable for some audiences. Anyone meeting the following criteria is strongly advised to refrain from watching Dirty Bird Videos:

If you are a stickler for rules & always adhere to them, it is strongly advised that you do not watch.  If you find yourself uncontrollably compelled to post comments about "breaking rules" whenever reading messages, watching videos, etc., do not watch.  If you find flying beyond VLOS or at night disconcerting, do not watch!  If you are upset by flying over houses, buildings, roads & bridges, vehicles, watercraft, spacecraft, Area 51, Isla Nublar, Pandora, people, nesting eagles, & just about any other critter that swims, slithers, creeps, or crawls, do not watch!  If you become upset while watching documentaries of predators catching & consuming their prey, do not watch!  If you cry easily, do not watch.  If you suffer from incontinence, IBS, or are a bed wetter, do not watch.  If you do not believe the Honey Badger is one of the meanest MoFo animals on the planet, do not watch!  If you like to play with live spiders, watching Dirty Bird Videos is probably safe, however, if any of the other conditions apply view them at your own peril!  If this disclaimer has missed your specific issue & you find you have been offended in any way by viewing a Dirty Bird Video, immediately stop watching the video, do not view again, & don't tell anyone you watched!  This is for your own sanity!  In some instances Dirty Bird Videos may provide a complimentary box of Kleenex tissues.  No liability is offered for offense, mental or physical anguish, loss of appetite, projectile vomiting, or chronic diarrhea (AKA "the grizzly squirts"), or spontaneous combustion, caused by viewing a Dirty Bird video.  Dirty Bird Videos have been known to cause cancer in laboratory animals.  Persons prone to epileptic siezures risk irreversible brain damage & are strongly advised not to watch.  A small percentage of Dirty Bird video viewers have engaged in spontaneous seppuku.  Dirty Bird Videos reserves the right to modify this disclaimer at any time.
2018-10-13
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

David J. Posted at 2018-10-13 19:43
What makes the P3S better than others? I am thinking of getting Litchi, and I have a P3S, so it seems especially intriguing.

Because the P3S is less expensive which means you have less money at risk during a flight.  Also the P3S benefits from increased flight time over a P3A/P due to being lighter, & from Litchi greatly extending its limited RC range through autonomous waypoint flight.
2018-10-13
Use props
Two Wheels
lvl.1
Flight distance : 290515 ft

I have both and love to run missions with Litchi. However, when I am just flying I tend to use Dji Go. Just my personal preference.
2018-10-14
Use props
Diojr
lvl.1
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-13 20:04
Well I didn't ask, but I thank you for your thoughts.  My flights aren't for everyone & I see I need to dust off the old Dirty Bird disclaimer.

While i can appreciate the humor i find it misplaced.

You don't get to decide who comment on your videos. Drone flight is at its very early stages and is currently undergoing heavy regulation, which might very well end up with a complete ban - mainly because people like you cannot seem to fathom the dangers of having 1-25 kg of equipment flying around over peoples heads or homes.

There are plenty examples of drones crashing and not all of them involve pilot error. If people fly like you do, one of those crashes could end up on my (or someone else's) daughter's head. Hopefully i don't have to tell you what happens if 1 kg of electronic equipment drop from 500 meters on top of a 2-year-old?

So excuse me if i don't just ignore the fact that you somehow think that your own egocentric lust for "playing around" with your drone in a completely unsafe way is okay.
2018-10-18
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

Diojr Posted at 2018-10-18 04:17
While i can appreciate the humor i find it misplaced.

You don't get to decide who comment on your videos. Drone flight is at its very early stages and is currently undergoing heavy regulation, which might very well end up with a complete ban - mainly because people like you cannot seem to fathom the dangers of having 1-25 kg of equipment flying around over peoples heads or homes.

Well, Gadget, I can state with absolute certainty a lot less would happen than if a 200 ton airliner laiden with jet fuel landed on her head.

6a00d834522bcd69e200e54f7aec3b8834-640wi-1.jpg
2018-10-18
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 2489482 ft
Spain

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-18 09:28
Well, Gadget, I can state with absolute certainty a lot less would happen than if a 200 ton airliner laiden with jet fuel landed on her head.

Hi Dirty Bird ! where is the plane in this pic ???
2018-10-18
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-10-18 10:19
Hi Dirty Bird ! where is the plane in this pic ???

It disintegrated & burned in the crash.  That is a photo from the crash of El Al Flight 1862, a Boeing 747 cargo plane that crashed in Amsterdam on October 4th, 1992.  Officially 43 died in the crash, which was low as it was a cargo plane.  39 of the fatalities were on the ground.  The actual death toll is in dispute as the complex was home to many illegal & undocumented residents.

My main point is when a drone crashes, unless it hits you directly, the chance of serious injury is small.  If it falls on your roof or car, you'll hear a thump & it may do some minor damage.  It isn't going to crush you or incinerate a city block.  I am not saying it is risk free, only it is small compared to the risk of heavy, fuel-laiden, aircraft that fly over us thousands of times a day.
2018-10-18
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 2489482 ft
Spain

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-18 16:02
It disintegrated & burned in the crash.  That is a photo from the crash of El Al Flight 1862, a Boeing 747 cargo plane that crashed in Amsterdam on October 4th, 1992.  Officially 43 died in the crash, which was low as it was a cargo plane.  39 of the fatalities were on the ground.  The actual death toll is in dispute as the complex was home to many illegal & undocumented residents.

My main point is when a drone crashes, unless it hits you directly, the chance of serious injury is small.  If it falls on your roof or car, you'll hear a thump & it may do some minor damage.  It isn't going to crush you or incinerate a city block.  I am not saying it is risk free, only it is small compared to the risk of heavy, fuel-laiden, aircraft that fly over us thousands of times a day.

Thanks for the info DB
2018-10-18
Use props
Diojr
lvl.1
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-18 09:28
Well, Gadget, I can state with absolute certainty a lot less would happen than if a 200 ton airliner laiden with jet fuel landed on her head.

Yeah, Gagdet, and the crash of an airliner would cause way less damage than if a nuclear bomb exploded - right? So lets have unregulated airliner-flights too!

I've had my 2 cents and you obviously don't care about anything than yourself and your toy. Probably too late for you to grow up - but with the positive responses i've received over my posts in this thread, i guess there's hope for others.
2018-10-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

Diojr Posted at 2018-10-19 00:07
Yeah, Gagdet, and the crash of an airliner would cause way less damage than if a nuclear bomb exploded - right? So lets have unregulated airliner-flights too!

I've had my 2 cents and you obviously don't care about anything than yourself and your toy. Probably too late for you to grow up - but with the positive responses i've received over my posts in this thread, i guess there's hope for others.

Sorry, I'm not Gadget. I'm Dirty Bird. Your chosen avatar is Inspector Gadget.  Why do you take offense at being called Gadget?
2018-10-19
Use props
Peterx
Captain
Flight distance : 1497290 ft

The Question was "Is the Litchi app worth it?" and not "when the sheriff comes" Mostly the AC´s felt down because the OP failure to oversee their actions in manual flight or missed the check before the flight.
I got answers and i think about to purchase it. But i don´t fly too far with my "toy".
2018-10-19
Use props
Diojr
lvl.1
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-19 03:09
Sorry, I'm not Gadget. I'm Dirty Bird. Your chosen avatar is Inspector Gadget.  Why do you take offense at being called Gadget?

2018-10-22
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-3 15:55

Someone battery popped out of the drone in flight and he was decline any type of warranty because he was using Litchi, so yes it seems that using third party software will void your warranty if something happen during flight with other software, even if it is a DJI issue like a battery popping out of the drone in mid flight and crashing the drone.

What I am wondering is if the drone crash while flying with Litchi and I have DJI Care which cover user error as well, would it still be covered if it crash while flying with Litchi?

If the Spark goes into ATTI mode in Litchi mission, then it's gone. It's not going to fallow it's mission at all if switching to ATTI mode. Did that ever hapen to someone using Litchi?
2019-1-2
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

The more I read about the Spark going into ATTI mode and the void of warranty if something happen during a flight with Litchi, the less I want to buy it! It's definitely NOT worth it in my book. Void the warranty and a steep price. If my spark goes into ATTI mode and crash, I want to be able to use my Care Refresh for sure.
2019-1-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Daniella3d Posted at 1-2 17:00
Someone battery popped out of the drone in flight and he was decline any type of warranty because he was using Litchi, so yes it seems that using third party software will void your warranty if something happen during flight with other software, even if it is a DJI issue like a battery popping out of the drone in mid flight and crashing the drone.

What I am wondering is if the drone crash while flying with Litchi and I have DJI Care which cover user error as well, would it still be covered if it crash while flying with Litchi?

You have a link?

I'm not sure of this.  The Phantom has its own log on the AC, so I don't know why using Litchi would be a cause of a declined warranty claim.  Seems to me, chances are good that the claim was refused because the pilot didn't secure the battery in the AC correctly.  Besides, DJI indirectly gave Litchi the authority to write and distribute the flight app by authorizing access to their proprietary system.  So it doesn't make sense that DJI would, in turn, deny warranty claims.  

I have a number of different Phantoms and over 400 flights - my battery never pops out during flight.  It might pop out if it wasn't secured correctly, but I am always sure to secure it correctly.  There are quite a few things I am sure of before I fly, and a secure battery is one of them.  I still have all my Phantoms going back several years. They all fly absolutely perfectly, like new, even better than new, with no issues at all.  

2019-1-2
Use props
stuka75
First Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-3 17:31
As long as you are in RC contact with the drone you can trigger an RTH like normal.  The mission will abort & the bird will return home according to your RTH settings.

Also,the "Low Battery RTH" will kick in and mission aborted when the ac senses the battery is depleted to a point that may affect safe return. I believe this function can be turned off in the menu. Saved my P3 on one occasion running the same mission in a crosswind not evident in first few successful flights of that mission.
2019-1-3
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-2 17:40
You have a link?

I'm not sure of this.  The Phantom has its own log on the AC, so I don't know why using Litchi would be a cause of a declined warranty claim.  Seems to me, chances are good that the claim was refused because the pilot didn't secure the battery in the AC correctly.  Besides, DJI indirectly gave Litchi the authority to write and distribute the flight app by authorizing access to their proprietary system.  So it doesn't make sense that DJI would, in turn, deny warranty claims.  

yep, here is the link, and I think that pretty much settle the issue here. You use Litchi at your own risk because if anything happen, even a battery popping out of the drone, then DJI won't do anything for you and even the Care Refresh won't work. That is also the response I got from DJI...Litchi = no warranty and no DJI Care Refresh. Look at the 7th post down that link, from English Muffin.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-130649-2-1.html
2019-1-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Okay I guess you're right - the guy says it's because they have no log to examine.  I thought there would be a log on the AC.  
2019-1-3
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Australia

Daniella3d Posted at 1-3 14:39
yep, here is the link, and I think that pretty much settle the issue here. You use Litchi at your own risk because if anything happen, even a battery popping out of the drone, then DJI won't do anything for you and even the Care Refresh won't work. That is also the response I got from DJI...Litchi = no warranty and no DJI Care Refresh. Look at the 7th post down that link, from English Muffin.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-130649-2-1.html

I think that pretty much settle the issue here. You use Litchi at your own risk because if anything happen, even a battery popping out of the drone, then DJI won't do anything for you
And what of users that have had their Phantom's replaced by DJI even though they were flying with Litchi or another non-DJI app?
Or the repeated clarifications by knowledgeable DJI people to explain that if the incident can be shown to have been caused by a DJI issue, the drone gets replaced regardless of the app that was used to fly.

The case you refer to was one where there wasn't evidence to clearly show a DJI issue was the cause or somone goofed up.

2019-1-3
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

Labroides Posted at 1-3 20:16
I think that pretty much settle the issue here. You use Litchi at your own risk because if anything happen, even a battery popping out of the drone, then DJI won't do anything for you
And what of users that have had their Phantom's replaced by DJI even though they were flying with Litchi or another non-DJI app?
Or the repeated clarifications by knowledgeable DJI people to explain that if the incident can be shown to have been caused by a DJI issue, the drone gets replaced regardless of the app that was used to fly.

Sure, a battery popping out of the drone is clearly not a software issue. yet he did not get his drone replaced.

I would like to see the thread where those people were using Litchi and got their drone replaced. Any link? Any link to the repeated clarifications by DJI people? Because I got a very different answer from DJI, and was told if I used Litchi there would be no warranty.

The problem with Litchi is proving that the crash was not caused by the application used. How do you prove that the crash is caused by a battery popping out of the drone?? Unless you have filmed it from the ground, it is impossible to prove.
2019-1-4
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Australia

Daniella3d Posted at 1-4 20:01
Sure, a battery popping out of the drone is clearly not a software issue. yet he did not get his drone replaced.

I would like to see the thread where those people were using Litchi and got their drone replaced. Any link? Any link to the repeated clarifications by DJI people? Because I got a very different answer from DJI, and was told if I used Litchi there would be no warranty.
Sorry ... I don't have links but I'm taking about multiple cases that have happened - not just hearsay.
I got a very different answer from DJI, and was told if I used Litchi there would be no warranty.
Unfortunately DJI's people are not all reliable information sources.
Just because one tells you something is no proof that something is true.
DJI people are about as reliable as forum members.
Some actually know what they are talking about, a lot don't.

The problem with Litchi is proving that the crash was not caused by the application used. How do you prove that the crash is caused by a battery popping out of the drone?? Unless you have filmed it from the ground, it is impossible to prove.
Some things are just difficult and can leave you out of luck regardless of which app you use.
Most of the time, either the flight data from the app or from the drone can clear things up.
Occasionally it doesn't.

Litchi is a great app if you need the particular features that it's especially good for.
I think DJI Go is better for regular flying and photography but use Litchi when I need to.

2019-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules