Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is the Litchi app worth it?
36556 114 2018-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-18 09:28
Well, Gadget, I can state with absolute certainty a lot less would happen than if a 200 ton airliner laiden with jet fuel landed on her head.

Hi Dirty Bird ! where is the plane in this pic ???
2018-10-18
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-18 16:02
It disintegrated & burned in the crash.  That is a photo from the crash of El Al Flight 1862, a Boeing 747 cargo plane that crashed in Amsterdam on October 4th, 1992.  Officially 43 died in the crash, which was low as it was a cargo plane.  39 of the fatalities were on the ground.  The actual death toll is in dispute as the complex was home to many illegal & undocumented residents.

My main point is when a drone crashes, unless it hits you directly, the chance of serious injury is small.  If it falls on your roof or car, you'll hear a thump & it may do some minor damage.  It isn't going to crush you or incinerate a city block.  I am not saying it is risk free, only it is small compared to the risk of heavy, fuel-laiden, aircraft that fly over us thousands of times a day.

Thanks for the info DB
2018-10-18
Use props
Diojr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6211 ft
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-18 09:28
Well, Gadget, I can state with absolute certainty a lot less would happen than if a 200 ton airliner laiden with jet fuel landed on her head.

Yeah, Gagdet, and the crash of an airliner would cause way less damage than if a nuclear bomb exploded - right? So lets have unregulated airliner-flights too!

I've had my 2 cents and you obviously don't care about anything than yourself and your toy. Probably too late for you to grow up - but with the positive responses i've received over my posts in this thread, i guess there's hope for others.
2018-10-19
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

The Question was "Is the Litchi app worth it?" and not "when the sheriff comes" Mostly the AC´s felt down because the OP failure to oversee their actions in manual flight or missed the check before the flight.
I got answers and i think about to purchase it. But i don´t fly too far with my "toy".
2018-10-19
Use props
Diojr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6211 ft
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-19 03:09
Sorry, I'm not Gadget. I'm Dirty Bird. Your chosen avatar is Inspector Gadget.  Why do you take offense at being called Gadget?

2018-10-22
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-3 15:55
I would like one of the DJI forum officials to confirm this.

Someone battery popped out of the drone in flight and he was decline any type of warranty because he was using Litchi, so yes it seems that using third party software will void your warranty if something happen during flight with other software, even if it is a DJI issue like a battery popping out of the drone in mid flight and crashing the drone.

What I am wondering is if the drone crash while flying with Litchi and I have DJI Care which cover user error as well, would it still be covered if it crash while flying with Litchi?

If the Spark goes into ATTI mode in Litchi mission, then it's gone. It's not going to fallow it's mission at all if switching to ATTI mode. Did that ever hapen to someone using Litchi?
2019-1-2
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

The more I read about the Spark going into ATTI mode and the void of warranty if something happen during a flight with Litchi, the less I want to buy it! It's definitely NOT worth it in my book. Void the warranty and a steep price. If my spark goes into ATTI mode and crash, I want to be able to use my Care Refresh for sure.
2019-1-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Daniella3d Posted at 1-2 17:00
Someone battery popped out of the drone in flight and he was decline any type of warranty because he was using Litchi, so yes it seems that using third party software will void your warranty if something happen during flight with other software, even if it is a DJI issue like a battery popping out of the drone in mid flight and crashing the drone.

What I am wondering is if the drone crash while flying with Litchi and I have DJI Care which cover user error as well, would it still be covered if it crash while flying with Litchi?

You have a link?

I'm not sure of this.  The Phantom has its own log on the AC, so I don't know why using Litchi would be a cause of a declined warranty claim.  Seems to me, chances are good that the claim was refused because the pilot didn't secure the battery in the AC correctly.  Besides, DJI indirectly gave Litchi the authority to write and distribute the flight app by authorizing access to their proprietary system.  So it doesn't make sense that DJI would, in turn, deny warranty claims.  

I have a number of different Phantoms and over 400 flights - my battery never pops out during flight.  It might pop out if it wasn't secured correctly, but I am always sure to secure it correctly.  There are quite a few things I am sure of before I fly, and a secure battery is one of them.  I still have all my Phantoms going back several years. They all fly absolutely perfectly, like new, even better than new, with no issues at all.  

2019-1-2
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-3 17:31
As long as you are in RC contact with the drone you can trigger an RTH like normal.  The mission will abort & the bird will return home according to your RTH settings.

Also,the "Low Battery RTH" will kick in and mission aborted when the ac senses the battery is depleted to a point that may affect safe return. I believe this function can be turned off in the menu. Saved my P3 on one occasion running the same mission in a crosswind not evident in first few successful flights of that mission.
2019-1-3
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-2 17:40
You have a link?

I'm not sure of this.  The Phantom has its own log on the AC, so I don't know why using Litchi would be a cause of a declined warranty claim.  Seems to me, chances are good that the claim was refused because the pilot didn't secure the battery in the AC correctly.  Besides, DJI indirectly gave Litchi the authority to write and distribute the flight app by authorizing access to their proprietary system.  So it doesn't make sense that DJI would, in turn, deny warranty claims.  

yep, here is the link, and I think that pretty much settle the issue here. You use Litchi at your own risk because if anything happen, even a battery popping out of the drone, then DJI won't do anything for you and even the Care Refresh won't work. That is also the response I got from DJI...Litchi = no warranty and no DJI Care Refresh. Look at the 7th post down that link, from English Muffin.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-130649-2-1.html
2019-1-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Okay I guess you're right - the guy says it's because they have no log to examine.  I thought there would be a log on the AC.  
2019-1-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Daniella3d Posted at 1-3 14:39
yep, here is the link, and I think that pretty much settle the issue here. You use Litchi at your own risk because if anything happen, even a battery popping out of the drone, then DJI won't do anything for you and even the Care Refresh won't work. That is also the response I got from DJI...Litchi = no warranty and no DJI Care Refresh. Look at the 7th post down that link, from English Muffin.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-130649-2-1.html

I think that pretty much settle the issue here. You use Litchi at your own risk because if anything happen, even a battery popping out of the drone, then DJI won't do anything for you
And what of users that have had their Phantom's replaced by DJI even though they were flying with Litchi or another non-DJI app?
Or the repeated clarifications by knowledgeable DJI people to explain that if the incident can be shown to have been caused by a DJI issue, the drone gets replaced regardless of the app that was used to fly.

The case you refer to was one where there wasn't evidence to clearly show a DJI issue was the cause or somone goofed up.

2019-1-3
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Labroides Posted at 1-3 20:16
I think that pretty much settle the issue here. You use Litchi at your own risk because if anything happen, even a battery popping out of the drone, then DJI won't do anything for you
And what of users that have had their Phantom's replaced by DJI even though they were flying with Litchi or another non-DJI app?
Or the repeated clarifications by knowledgeable DJI people to explain that if the incident can be shown to have been caused by a DJI issue, the drone gets replaced regardless of the app that was used to fly.

Sure, a battery popping out of the drone is clearly not a software issue. yet he did not get his drone replaced.

I would like to see the thread where those people were using Litchi and got their drone replaced. Any link? Any link to the repeated clarifications by DJI people? Because I got a very different answer from DJI, and was told if I used Litchi there would be no warranty.

The problem with Litchi is proving that the crash was not caused by the application used. How do you prove that the crash is caused by a battery popping out of the drone?? Unless you have filmed it from the ground, it is impossible to prove.
2019-1-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Daniella3d Posted at 1-4 20:01
Sure, a battery popping out of the drone is clearly not a software issue. yet he did not get his drone replaced.

I would like to see the thread where those people were using Litchi and got their drone replaced. Any link? Any link to the repeated clarifications by DJI people? Because I got a very different answer from DJI, and was told if I used Litchi there would be no warranty.
Sorry ... I don't have links but I'm taking about multiple cases that have happened - not just hearsay.
I got a very different answer from DJI, and was told if I used Litchi there would be no warranty.
Unfortunately DJI's people are not all reliable information sources.
Just because one tells you something is no proof that something is true.
DJI people are about as reliable as forum members.
Some actually know what they are talking about, a lot don't.

The problem with Litchi is proving that the crash was not caused by the application used. How do you prove that the crash is caused by a battery popping out of the drone?? Unless you have filmed it from the ground, it is impossible to prove.
Some things are just difficult and can leave you out of luck regardless of which app you use.
Most of the time, either the flight data from the app or from the drone can clear things up.
Occasionally it doesn't.

Litchi is a great app if you need the particular features that it's especially good for.
I think DJI Go is better for regular flying and photography but use Litchi when I need to.

2019-1-5
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-3 15:45
Yeah that's what makes me nervous about using it.  That said I do have the app on my iPad mini.  I'm itching to try it though.  Maybe when my warranty expires or maybe I'll buy a sacrificial drone for cheap on eBay.

Let me say it again ...

LITCHI is created via the DJI SDK and in so doing should not invalidate your Warranty. Only if you were doing something outrageous that falls outside of DJI flight design capability.

Nigel
2019-1-5
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-3 14:55
Okay I guess you're right - the guy says it's because they have no log to examine.  I thought there would be a log on the AC.

Unfortunately - that thread and the posts indicated only give one side of the story.

I would actually like to have seen the actual DJi statements ..... as I know people personally that have had their gear repaired under warranty after using Litchi. Litchi is the app used by most people I fly with.

DJI provide a SDK - to enable development of compatible programming. Why would DJI do that ? To get out of warrantys ?

Nigel
2019-1-5
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

I got a very different answer from DJI, and was told if I used Litchi there would be no warranty.
Unfortunately DJI's people are not all reliable information sources.
Just because one tells you something is no proof that something is true.

Very true ... way back I was trying to get definitive answer from DJI Tech about battery life cycles and the relevance of the quoted 200. Each email reply I had told a different story. And it even jumped from one tech centre to another as the questions got deeper into the subject. The final result - DJi had not in any form answered the questions in a consistent and viable form.

Its even worse when you ask on the forum ... I sometimes wonder if the Mods here actually fly these machines ? I know a lot of the replies appear to be auto- generated !!

Nigel
2019-1-5
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

solentlife Posted at 1-5 07:28
Very true ... way back I was trying to get definitive answer from DJI Tech about battery life cycles and the relevance of the quoted 200. Each email reply I had told a different story. And it even jumped from one tech centre to another as the questions got deeper into the subject. The final result - DJi had not in any form answered the questions in a consistent and viable form.

Its even worse when you ask on the forum ... I sometimes wonder if the Mods here actually fly these machines ? I know a lot of the replies appear to be auto- generated !!

Yes that's true, some of the reply seem to be generated automatically and make no sense what so ever.

I am even more confuses than ever, but since I have DJI Care Refresh, I'll wait a bit before using Litchi. Beside, Litchi is so expensive. I have a friend with a Mavic Pro and he's using Litchi often, never had a problem, but the Spark is prone to lose compass and goes into ATTI mode. If that happen and it crash, I want to be covered, not second guess if I will be because I was using another app.

It's dumb that DJI Care Refresh cover user error but would not cover a crash if I use of third party software. Using a third party software could be considered as ''user error''. This is all so confusing.
2019-1-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 1-5 07:28
Very true ... way back I was trying to get definitive answer from DJI Tech about battery life cycles and the relevance of the quoted 200. Each email reply I had told a different story. And it even jumped from one tech centre to another as the questions got deeper into the subject. The final result - DJi had not in any form answered the questions in a consistent and viable form.

Its even worse when you ask on the forum ... I sometimes wonder if the Mods here actually fly these machines ? I know a lot of the replies appear to be auto- generated !!

Its even worse when you ask on the forum ... I sometimes wonder if the Mods here actually fly these machines ?
I haven't seen much evidence to suggest they do.
2019-1-5
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Daniella3d Posted at 1-5 08:17
Yes that's true, some of the reply seem to be generated automatically and make no sense what so ever.

I am even more confuses than ever, but since I have DJI Care Refresh, I'll wait a bit before using Litchi. Beside, Litchi is so expensive. I have a friend with a Mavic Pro and he's using Litchi often, never had a problem, but the Spark is prone to lose compass and goes into ATTI mode. If that happen and it crash, I want to be covered, not second guess if I will be because I was using another app.

Just using third party software developed using DJI's SDK dpes not invalidate Care Refresh   Now if the third party software caused the crash, that would invalidate Care Refresh.
2019-1-5
Use props
Nascarnut_dei
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3670535 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-19 16:40
Litchi is a great flight app to have in your tool bag.  I can't promise you'll never have an app crash, nor is it a 100% replacement for Go as it does not include every single aircraft setting, but it is a robust product with good value & performance.  My favorite part of Litchi is Waypoint Mode which allows you to program the bird to fly missions autonomously even beyond RC range.  If you become proficient with waypoints you can achieve things not currently possible with manual flight.

https://youtu.be/WVi3yaWadxM

Awesome Video Sir!!!!  
2019-2-2
Use props
WaldekM
lvl.1

United Kingdom

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-2-19 13:58
I have used Litchi for several years now and love it. It is very stable and probably the reason most of us but it, is the ability to create waypoint mission very easily and store them in the cloud and modify them on your PC. It have other features just like DJI GO too, but this is the main one. You still need the GO app for setting some features on your Phantom, but you won't be disappointed with it. Remember you cannot run both apps at the same time though.

Hi. Can you tell me how to edit waypoint on the PC please, also does the Litchi has all the autonomous flight options as the DJ Go4 in the newest version?
2019-8-8
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been flying DJI drones since January 2018 and still haven't used the Litchi app. Basically, I hear the Litchi app is used by people who inherit DJI drones by unscrupulous methods so to stay incognito from DJI for likely thievery reasons?...
2019-8-8
Use props
UAStelemetry
lvl.4

Germany

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-8 23:57
I've been flying DJI drones since January 2018 and still haven't used the Litchi app. Basically, I hear the Litchi app is used by people who inherit DJI drones by unscrupulous methods so to stay incognito from DJI for likely thievery reasons?...

2019-8-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-8 23:57

Utter crap. So you are accusing all those people in this thread who have extolled the virtues of Litchi, are thieves and crooks?

Litch has feaures that far exceed the DJI Go apps, that is why many people use it.
2019-8-9
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 8-9 14:41
Utter crap. So you are accusing all those people in this thread who have extolled the virtues of Litchi, are thieves and crooks?

Litch has feaures that far exceed the DJI Go apps, that is why many people use it.

I'm mot suggesting everyone who uses Litchi being a crook, I'm only being presumptuous that it's known DJI drones flown on Litchi represent a high amount of drones that have serial numbers not belonging to its first original owners and these secondary owners utilize Litchi to conduct their affairs as to a means of staying incognito and under the radar screen. That's not to say someone curious to try Litchi is absolutely unscrupulous, but intelligence when flying a drone and mitigating your risks one would agree why utilize Litchi when in the unforeseen rare event something were to happen to your drone while not flying in DJI GO 4 but Litchi one would realize that DJI is not  responsible for a warranty claim thus I recount  the aphorism: "what can be added to the happiness of man, who's in good health, out of debt, and has a clear conscious?" -- Adam Smith
2019-8-9
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You caught me in a moment of asking myself what would be the meaning of your poster is it aimed at me or aimed at the truth because you feel people here can't handle the truth?
2019-8-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-9 19:22
I'm mot suggesting everyone who uses Litchi being a crook, I'm only being presumptuous that it's known DJI drones flown on Litchi represent a high amount of drones that have serial numbers not belonging to its first original owners and these secondary owners utilize Litchi to conduct their affairs as to a means of staying incognito and under the radar screen. That's not to say someone curious to try Litchi is absolutely unscrupulous, but intelligence when flying a drone and mitigating your risks one would agree why utilize Litchi when in the unforeseen rare event something were to happen to your drone while not flying in DJI GO 4 but Litchi one would realize that DJI is not  responsible for a warranty claim thus I recount  the aphorism: "what can be added to the happiness of man, who's in good health, out of debt, and has a clear conscious?" -- Adam Smith

"I'm only being presumptuous that it's known DJI drones flown on Litchi represent a high amount of drones that have serial numbers not belonging to its first original owners and these secondary owners utilize Litchi to conduct their affairs as to a means of staying incognito and under the radar screen."

Then let us have a link to this 'evidence'. I have been around for quite some time and I have never heard of this before. And as far as 'staying incognito', that is factually incorrect, because even when flying using DJI Go, most times there is no mechanism for the Go app to report anything to anyone. You would have to have a cell phone in order for that to happen, with cell coverage and for a great number of pilots, that is simply not the case.

"when in the unforeseen rare event something were to happen to your drone while not flying in DJI GO 4 but Litchi one would realize that DJI is not  responsible for a warranty claim"

Another false statement. Whether DJI like it or not, a warranty claim is NOT conditional upon flying with the DJI Go app. If the failure is due to a manufacturing defect in the aircraft, DJI have to honour the warranty. This has been debunked many times over.

You appear to know nothing about Litchi, and would be advised not to offer useless and misleading advice in the absence of actual experience.
2019-8-10
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 8-10 14:56
"I'm only being presumptuous that it's known DJI drones flown on Litchi represent a high amount of drones that have serial numbers not belonging to its first original owners and these secondary owners utilize Litchi to conduct their affairs as to a means of staying incognito and under the radar screen."

Then let us have a link to this 'evidence'. I have been around for quite some time and I have never heard of this before. And as far as 'staying incognito', that is factually incorrect, because even when flying using DJI Go, most times there is no mechanism for the Go app to report anything to anyone. You would have to have a cell phone in order for that to happen, with cell coverage and for a great number of pilots, that is simply not the case.

You are warranting everybody fly their drone and risk the event they were to have a complication where in an example the Litichi Application were to crash and the pilot crashed the drone as a result. Do you think DJI is going to cover that accident as nothing more than "User Error"?

DJI will not cover any incident related to any application malfunction that does not include the language: "arising from but not limited to....."

I'm not doing anything more than pointing out to people that there are additional risks when you fly with any application aside from DJI GO 4. If you want to certify this as being incorrect, then you'd have an expensive proposition in the event many people decided to accelerate their warranty claims against you for failure by DJI to cover those claims?...

I don't make it a habit to point people in directions that pose potential risk and then debunk others who merely point out there's fungible fact that this is the case. Is it me or you who's only just playing devil's advocate?...
2019-8-10
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-9 19:22
I'm mot suggesting everyone who uses Litchi being a crook, I'm only being presumptuous that it's known DJI drones flown on Litchi represent a high amount of drones that have serial numbers not belonging to its first original owners and these secondary owners utilize Litchi to conduct their affairs as to a means of staying incognito and under the radar screen. That's not to say someone curious to try Litchi is absolutely unscrupulous, but intelligence when flying a drone and mitigating your risks one would agree why utilize Litchi when in the unforeseen rare event something were to happen to your drone while not flying in DJI GO 4 but Litchi one would realize that DJI is not  responsible for a warranty claim thus I recount  the aphorism: "what can be added to the happiness of man, who's in good health, out of debt, and has a clear conscious?" -- Adam Smith

David, have you gone off you meds?
2019-8-10
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

EdM Posted at 8-10 23:18
David, have you gone off you meds?

What do you really mean? I'm sorry if this thread offended anyone, just trying to give people an open mindset about reverting to applications other than DJI GO to fly their drones. People who misconstrue the message, again I apologize for that.
2019-8-11
Use props
TestPilotMovies
New

United States

Think I might just give it a try!
2019-8-23
Use props
djiuser_w2SPuyrDnNOD
lvl.1

Ghana

What of buying litchi for my Osmo Plus, does this also guarantee good value for money? My main usage is to livestream with my osmo plus onto Facebook and YouTube. Since my DJI Go app connects endlessly to Facebook, and from what I read in forums, there is no clear fix to that.
2020-6-24
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_w2SPuyrDnNOD Posted at 6-24 00:41
What of buying litchi for my Osmo Plus, does this also guarantee good value for money? My main usage is to livestream with my osmo plus onto Facebook and YouTube. Since my DJI Go app connects endlessly to Facebook, and from what I read in forums, there is no clear fix to that.

Hello fellow Phantom 3 Standard captains.  I recently decided to change up to Litchi  from the DJI Go app, specifically because of the way-point programming capability.  Using the Litchi Mission Hub website, I have saved a number of flight paths starting and ending at my home, with time duration ranging from 3 minutes to 21 minutes, though I have not actually flown any of those saved flights because thus far I am getting no video feed on my smart phone within the wifi signal's limited range.

My question is with respect to the distance and time limitation that is best applied to Litchi flight planning for the Phantom 3 Standard, whose nominal battery lifespan is specified as 25 minutes in the DJI website.   Given the unpredictability of winds aloft, would it be best practice to limit any flight plans to say 15 minutes or less, to allow for the drone encountering head-winds or crosswinds on the return leg of the flight ?   

Flying line of sight, I have rarely flown my Phantom3S  for longer than 15 minutes per sortie, but I still wonder how close one can cut it for programmed flights, bearing in mind that the stated battery life of the Phantom 3S is 25 minutes, presumably on a day with moderate or gentle winds.

Any thoughts and opinions on this flight duration question for the P3S, would be much appreciated.   
2020-8-16
Use props
djiuser_Zps4StrQ8gYB
New

India

I have used Litchi app for my Mavic mini. I was trying Follow me mode and drone went in another direction and crashed. Unfortunately I was found in a water source and damaged. I strongly recommend not to use Litchi app.
2021-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules