Switching between gesture mode and normal mode
3787 14 2018-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ucel007
lvl.1

Indonesia

Hi, just got my spark and was wondering if 1) you launched with gesture mode, then went into normal mode in dji go4 app, would it ve possible?

2) And after the normal mode, you switch back to gesture mode you switch back to gesture mode in the dji go4 app again to palm land, what will happen (drone needs to recognize your face)?

I am doing this because the terrain is very uneven and cannot take off from the ground.

Thanks for advise.
2018-2-20
Use props
AboveNBeyond
lvl.2
Flight distance : 336473 ft
Australia

Hi, yes, you can take off in Gesture mode, then switch to to normal.
Later, you can then switch back to gesture mode and get the Spark to recognise your face so it can land in your palm.
Watch the video's on Gesture Mode and Palm launch/landing. They're on Youtube and the DJI site.

2018-2-20
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

This is how I always fly. However it often refuses to palm land. I hate putting it on the ground as it’s so tiny.
I usually put it on the  bag/case to allowed it to find its home point before palm launching.
2018-2-21
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

It needs to clearly see your face to gesture mode take off.  But after a normal flight and then returning to you, switching to gesture mode and landing in your hand is easy.  

Occasionally, I have had it try to rise up and avoid my hand and even rotate the camera down like it is trying to get a better look at the hand.  Eventually, it will recognize the hand and land in it.  I think it needs the hand to be the right distance from it and for the hand shape to stand out from the ground clutter for it to trigger the landing.

2018-2-21
Use props
apcyberax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566526 ft
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-2-21 01:14
It needs to clearly see your face to gesture mode take off.  But after a normal flight and then returning to you, switching to gesture mode and landing in your hand is easy.  

Occasionally, I have had it try to rise up and avoid my hand and even rotate the camera down like it is trying to get a better look at the hand.  Eventually, it will recognize the hand and land in it.  I think it needs the hand to be the right distance from it and for the hand shape to stand out from the ground clutter for it to trigger the landing.

i just tell the DJI app to land and put my hand under it while in normal mode. It will see your hand with the downward sensor and land on the hand no problem
2018-2-21
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

apcyberax Posted at 2018-2-21 03:25
i just tell the DJI app to land and put my hand under it while in normal mode. It will see your hand with the downward sensor and land on the hand no problem

I will have to try that.  Save me a few steps/seconds.
2018-2-21
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-2-21 08:09
I will have to try that.  Save me a few steps/seconds.

You can also just put your hand under the Spark and hold down the throttle stick until it will land. After landing it will stop the motors.
But I think landing with gesture control is a little bit different. I don't know whether dji programmed the spark different in gesture control to turn off or land "better/safer". Just a feeling.
2018-2-21
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Gesture mode and flying via the app can be mixed together.  Meaning you can palm launch, then use the app to fly around, then do a palm land.  You will need the app if you want to trigger any of the flight modes as they can't be activated via gesture mode.  Have fun
2018-2-21
Use props
Ucel007
lvl.1

Indonesia

Thanks for the reply, tried today with the downward throttle and it works great, just a bit weird trying to balance the spark while landing, any suggestions of accessories that helps with palm land?
2018-2-21
Use props
djiuser_35ymB9CsQoBd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296112 ft
Croatia

I start flaying my spark from my hand, also land to my hand. Maybe to turn off obstacle avoidance when landing to hand, it is more easier..
2018-2-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ease of hand launch/land is one of the main benefits of the Spark
2018-2-21
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Ucel007 Posted at 2018-2-21 09:55
Thanks for the reply, tried today with the downward throttle and it works great, just a bit weird trying to balance the spark while landing, any suggestions of accessories that helps with palm land?

I don’t own or use this, but I think this is something you are looking for?

https://m.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopter-parts/pp_1354165.html?wid=21
2018-2-21
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

As the others have mentioned, it is quite easy to switch between gesture mode for take off / landing and normal mode for flight.   I don't specifically show switching in this video, but I do cover several ways to take off and land.  You can mix and match take offs and landings as is most convenient for your situation.

2018-2-21
Use props
LouisP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

No need to switch to gesture mode to palm land..  Just walk up behind it, put your hand under it and hold the stick down.
2018-2-21
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

Yes, the only way you can switch between modes is on the DJI GO 4 app. And yes, you can still palm land, as long as you are in gesture mode.
2018-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules