2307 68 2018-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-21 15:13
There is still something very strange going on here, throttle stick is what controls ascent and descent in mode 2, yet we see almost no movement on throttle stick yet AC climbs to height of 1500ft, distance of almost the same yet looking through the log nothing seems to match this up. Unless it’s some kind of custom set up I don’t know about.

I am still learning how to read these logs.. but the RC Elevator control seems to be held full up until the point where the drone stopped climbing.. and I see some down input on that control when and the drone descended.. maybe the RCElevator is what controls the climb.
2018-2-21
Use props
Patowski
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123091 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-21 15:13
There is still something very strange going on here, throttle stick is what controls ascent and descent in mode 2, yet we see almost no movement on throttle stick yet AC climbs to height of 1500ft, distance of almost the same yet looking through the log nothing seems to match this up. Unless it’s some kind of custom set up I don’t know about.

RC settings On Mode 3

only throttle up was used
Thanks

2018-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

LouisP Posted at 2018-2-21 15:29
I am still learning how to read these logs.. but the RC Elevator control seems to be held full up until the point where the drone stopped climbing.. and I see some down input on that control when and the drone descended.. maybe the RCElevator is what controls the climb.

In normal mode 2 throttle controls ascent and descent, although on quad copters throttle is a bit of a misnomer because all motors are running continuously. The OP has just now explained he was using mode 3 which accounts for the aircraft being flown further from home in RTH with left stick fully down.
2018-2-21
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-21 15:27
I actually think this AC was being flown backwards at the end not downwards, -pitch..

I might be mistaken, but pretty sure a negative pitch angle indicates the front of craft is down and the back of the craft is up normally associated with forward flight.
EDIT:  I think I'm tired and confusing myself now....  
2018-2-21
Use props
Patowski
lvl.2
Canada

Maybe dji go4 Flight record could help as well..
I noticed it turned around towards the Home point when I pressed the Go Home button, but it kept going further and backwards..  ( 13 secs )
At this point I think I only can fix this by finding it..
I hoped that since the drone was still flying when i lost signal, that Dji could have access to some sort of longer flight record with the S/N of the AC and track it down.. but that is not the case..

2018-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-21 15:42
I might be mistaken, but pretty sure a negative pitch angle indicates the front of craft is down and the back of the craft is up normally associated with forward flight.

I think OP has explained he was using mode 3 so this is the cause of my confusion.
This is the way I would have always read it.

* Plus Pitch – Move Forward
* Minus Pitch – Move Backward
* Plus Yaw – Turn Right
* Minus Yaw – Turn Left
* Plus Roll – Move Right
* Minus Roll – Move Left
* Plus Throttle – Stand Taller
* Minus Throttle – Crouch
2018-2-21
Use props
Patowski
lvl.2
Canada

And quite a lot of wind..
I didn't touch any other buttons than throttle up at the begining and Throttle down and forward after it turned around, ( 13 secs )
2018-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Patowski Posted at 2018-2-21 15:44
Maybe dji go4 Flight record could help as well..
I noticed it turned around towards the Home point when I pressed the Go Home button, but it kept going further and backwards..  ( 13 secs )
At this point I think I only can fix this by finding it..

Unfortunately not extra information is in the craft, but I wouldn’t give up hope many have found craft after a few days searching so maybe try rally the troops Kloo Gee has given you some good information and my guess would be that apart from some weather damage that your spark may be in reasonable condition.
Good luck.
2018-2-21
Use props
Patowski
lvl.2
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-21 16:02
Unfortunately not extra information is in the craft, but I wouldn’t give up hope many have found craft after a few days searching so maybe try rally the troops Kloo Gee has given you some good information and my guess would be that apart from some weather damage that your spark may be in reasonable condition.
Good luck.

Thanks for the positive thought!!

I will definitly go back hunting for it tomorrow morning!

2018-2-21
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

EDIT:  I think I'm tired and confusing myself now....

Or it was fighting as hard as it could against a headwind.
2018-2-21
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-21 15:39
In normal mode 2 throttle controls ascent and descent, although on quad copters throttle is a bit of a misnomer because all motors are running continuously. The OP has just now explained he was using mode 3 which accounts for the aircraft being flown further from home in RTH with left stick fully down.

I think I will try making a flight to help me understand the logs better...
Do some very deliberate control inputs for specific amounts of time then look at the logs to see what is being recorded.
like.. straight up for 30 seconds.. right for 30 seconds... etc..etc..
Even better if there is a nice gentle breeze and I make note of the direction to look at the pitch and roll angles to see the affects of the wind.
Sounds like a fun experiment.
2018-2-21
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

For sure the pilot should not have taken up the flight on a strong windy day..Another pilot error. Case closed .
2018-2-21
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-21 15:45
I think OP has explained he was using mode 3 so this is the cause of my confusion.
This is the way I would have always read it.

You are correct.  Momentary insanity!  I blame a long day!  
2018-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-22 04:31
You are correct.  Momentary sanity!  I blame a long day!

I often get confused myself, just as a BTW did you get your MavAir sorted, looking forward to your review.
2018-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

LouisP Posted at 2018-2-21 17:01
I think I will try making a flight to help me understand the logs better...
Do some very deliberate control inputs for specific amounts of time then look at the logs to see what is being recorded.
like.. straight up for 30 seconds.. right for 30 seconds... etc..etc..

It’s the best way to learn this stuff, it can be a bit mind boggling at times.
2018-2-22
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-22 04:41
I often get confused myself, just as a BTW did you get your MavAir sorted, looking forward to your review.

Yes, I got it back from them last Thursday.  I'm working on editing a video summarizing and reviewing the entire support process to close that out.  Hopefully I will be starting to put out proper Mavic Air videos soon.  The biggest problem I'm running into is that the weather has been terrible since getting it back.  Either its gale force winds, rain, or both.  
2018-2-22
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-21 11:37
The Google Earth flight paths are an easy one.  Firstly, download and install Google Earth onto your PC/Mac.  Then on the PhantomHelp log page you posted, choose to download the KML file, then open that KML file in Google Earth.  

Thanks Kloo Gee,

Almost ready but this case made me think again....should i add a mode 1, 2, or 3 option in the program....I too was confused about this flight log, now it make sense that pitch has to be read as throttle.

Guess i will publish is soon without that option and wait for some user-improvement-ideas.

2018-2-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-2-22 05:42
Thanks Kloo Gee,

Almost ready but this case made me think again....should i add a mode 1, 2, or 3 option in the program....I too was confused about this flight log, now it make sense that pitch has to be read as throttle.

That seems very strange
2018-2-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-22 05:04
Yes, I got it back from them last Thursday.  I'm working on editing a video summarizing and reviewing the entire support process to close that out.  Hopefully I will be starting to put out proper Mavic Air videos soon.  The biggest problem I'm running into is that the weather has been terrible since getting it back.  Either its gale force winds, rain, or both.

It's probably the rain and colder weather.
2018-2-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-22 04:44
It’s the best way to learn this stuff, it can be a bit mind boggling at times.

That's good advice.
2018-2-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

S.J Posted at 2018-2-21 20:33
For sure the pilot should not have taken up the flight on a strong windy day..Another pilot error. Case closed .

We should always examine flights before we conclude Pilot Error.
2018-2-22
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-2-22 05:42
Thanks Kloo Gee,

I think the vast majority of users use Mode 2 with just a small minority using a different mode.  Maybe just document in some way that it assumes all inputs are with Mode 2 and that it won't be accurate if a different mode was used.

I don't aim to take this off topic, but what I don't understand is why DJI's logs wouldn't account for the differences in Modes.  I might be missing something, but throttling up is throttling up whether that is Mode 2 left stick forward or Mode XYZ right stick to the left.  And pitching forward so the aircraft will move forward should be the same pitch value no matter what stick mode is selected.
2018-2-22
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-22 05:52
I think the vast majority of users use Mode 2 with just a small minority using a different mode.  Maybe just document in some way that it assumes all inputs are with Mode 2 and that it won't be accurate if a different mode was used.

I don't aim to take this off topic, but what I don't understand is why DJI's logs wouldn't account for the differences in Modes.  I might be missing something, but throttling up is throttling up whether that is Mode 2 left stick forward or Mode XYZ right stick to the left.  And pitching forward so the aircraft will move forward should be the same pitch value no matter what stick mode is selected.

True ,mode 2 is used mostly.

Guess i know where this Pitch, Throttle mistake is made....in the conversion of the encrypted txt flight log to a CSV file.
I found another conversion error, if in the Details.City or Area data text is used with an extra comma all the following columns are mis-numbered.... (only for me who is importing values from the last columns out of about 260).

2018-2-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-22 05:52

Mode 2 is the way to go whenever you can keep the DJIGO4 application standardized it limits systematic error, etc.
2018-2-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-2-22 07:44
True ,mode 2 is used mostly.

Guess i know where this Pitch, Throttle mistake is made....in the conversion of the encrypted txt flight log to a CSV file.

Can you please provide a little more information about the flight log to a "CSV file"?
2018-2-22
Use props
Patowski
lvl.2
Canada

So Dji reached out!
and that with very inaccurate readings of the logs!
I triple checked their infos with mine either on the first link i posted in this thread and on airdata.com.
And their report is just wrong! almost by minutes
they say the "go home button" was "engaged" at 04m55s.... when it first registered at 03m57s...
many other wrong readings are in their analysis..
it just feels like they dont care!

Of course they mentionned the wind,
but they completely ignored the facts i told them.

--> Lost connection at less than 400 feet away.
--> Switched to Atti mode Mid flight..
--> drone flying up and away ON IT'S OWN with no input from me..
--> not registering multiple "GoHome" attempts..

and they offered a 15% discount on a future purchase on their website which I think is a joke!

It is even like they are doing this on purpose to get people to buy their products more than once!

I have to say i am pretty dissapointed! adding that adventure to the process

( Thanks Again Kloo Gee )

2018-2-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Patowski Posted at 2018-2-23 08:38
So Dji reached out!
and that with very inaccurate readings of the logs!
I triple checked their infos with mine either on the first link i posted in this thread and on airdata.com.

I wouldn’t imagine they would do it on purpose or try to invent issues to avoid offering warranty, I do think it might be worth asking for a second opinion pointing out inaccuracies in their findings, it may not change the outcome but might set the record straight.
2018-2-23
Use props
Patowski
lvl.2
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-23 10:53
I wouldn’t imagine they would do it on purpose or try to invent issues to avoid offering warranty, I do think it might be worth asking for a second opinion pointing out inaccuracies in their findings, it may not change the outcome but might set the record straight.

That is pretty much what i wrote in the email i just sent.

Dont get me wrong here!
I am not hoping for a free replacement!
I just think that 15% off is far from what they should offer.
Since the spark did most of the “flying away” on its own..

I take full responsibility of underestimating the wind factor!
But I think the issue here is more likely to be on the
“RC—> AC connection” side than me just being dumb and letting this happen!

They make it seem like i am fully responsible for losing  connection and 100% of the controls at about 400 feet and letting it fly higher and further in the wind on its own.
That I also made it switch into Atti Mode at 800 feet
And purposely make it not register my multiple “Return Home” attempts way before 800feet!

So basically that i made it flyaway...

Which is far from the case!

I really enjoyed flying this device and i cannot wait to fly one again!

On this note..
I am heading back in the woods with my snowshoes!

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again everyone  for all your support!
2018-2-23
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

LouisP Posted at 2018-2-21 12:13
This was certainly blown away by wind.. you can see it start to return home but it can't fight the wind.  1600feet!   I didn't know that was allowed in Canada!

ya max is 90 meters here or 300 feet
2018-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules