The great debate on the Inspire 1 LED light scheme
2851 17 2015-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Since the beginning of aviation, the standards for lighting on aircraft have followed the standards of those set by the world’s watercraft as in Navy, as in boats, as in International Standards for Navigation.
The Starboard (right side of craft) should be Green LEDs and the Port (left side of craft) should be Red LEDs. The Stern (rear of craft) should technically be white, but with the strobe, is easily distinguished as to orientation of the craft to both the PIC, spotters, AND other aircraft(manned/unmanned).
For novices, there still is a distinguishing “difference” when looking at the craft from all four “main” axises. All red, the observer is seeing the “left” (port) side of the craft with the nose to the left. All green, the observer is seeing the “right” (starboard) side of the craft with the nose to the right.
With the craft going away from the PIC, spotters, AND other aircraft, all would see red on left side and green on right side AND the strobe. With the craft coming toward the PIC, spotters, AND other aircraft, all would see green on left side and red on right and no strobe.
Now all I have to do is do the MOD and incorporate into my flight manuals for the waiver I’m expecting soon.  Makes sense to me, how about others?

2015-5-2
Use props
slabella
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1483192 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with you 100%..  I own a boat and these lights are very important when I pilot my boat and i am also planing to attach a row of RED and GREEN LED strips on the Starboard (right side of craft) Green LEDs and the Port (left side of craft) Red LEDs. As for the Stern (rear of craft) white strobe next to the battery pack.

Good suggestion SKY!.

Best regards,
Steve   
2015-5-2
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

slabella@consul Posted at 2015-5-2 19:39
I agree with you 100%..  I own a boat and these lights are very important when I pilot my boat and i ...

Let us know how you get on with those strobes. Do you know where you can get them from?
2015-5-2
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

slabella@consul Posted at 2015-5-2 19:39
I agree with you 100%..  I own a boat and these lights are very important when I pilot my boat and i ...

Would like to know what type of strobe you plan on using
2015-5-2
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Yes, would like to see pictures when you do it...
2015-5-2
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

First day I'm stuck inside while it's raining I'm swapping colors front to back.
I already have colored tape marking left/right.

I'm gonna have the green lights in the front,
(green = good) bird is coming towards me
(red = bad) looking at the ass end, moving away from me

Bob
2015-5-2
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

When the weather is bad ....Pictures we want pictures. Bloody red light up the front is driving me mad.
2015-5-2
Use props
jaharrell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15417 ft
United States

While observing the long established standard of Green on the Starboard and Red of the Port would make sense and probably should have been standard on all such craft from the beginning I only actually use the lights for confirming the orientation of the craft while I’m flying so it doesn’t make any real difference to me.
Speaking for myself I would like brighter lights front and rear that are clearly visible from the sides. Strobes might be nice. Of course more light uses more power.
2015-5-2
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

jaharrell@aol.c Posted at 2015-5-2 22:26
While observing the long established standard of Green on the Starboard and Red of the Port would ma ...

I have these and find them Bloody bright and lasts 80hrs
2015-5-2
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
United States

It will always be personal preference with those who do not want others around them. When in a playpen (airspace) with others, there must be a standard by which all adhere and can comprehend the rules to avoid unwanted results. A nice way of trying to promote common sense safety and guidance. This is NOT just a simple hobby craft, but is quite capable of flying in the airspace (sandbox) with others, and needs clear and standardized nav lights that are understandable by others, not just the myopic "it's all about me" operator. A pilot understands the necessity of standard rules and procedures. IMHO
2015-5-2
Use props
Muzzy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Everyone.

Just found this item on eBay while searching for "Miniature Strobe Navigation Lights". Perhaps this is the kind of thing you might want, as they actually relate to the time honoured navigation lighting rules>

Navigation Lights also there is these which use a 9v battery Model Navigation Lights

Regards.
Muzzy.
2015-5-2
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

skyvideoct Posted at 2015-5-2 22:52
It will always be personal preference with those who do not want others around them. When in a playp ...

Not sure what is being said here but they should never be confused with aircraft or flown in restricted airspace. So it is about the operator and and he should do what ever he can in the interest of safety. Yes I can say I fly this and that and have done so for decades and don't need this or that, but more than once seeing a red light has thrown me.

This discussion would never of come about if the aft lights were red.

FictitiousPerso
Nice find I'm going to grab some know. Looking forward to hearing how Bob gets on with the mod.

2015-5-2
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Stop press I've got it
2015-5-2
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Since the beginning of aviation, the standards for lighting on aircraft have followed the standards of those set by the world’s watercraft as in Navy, as in boats, as in International Standards for Navigation.

Agree 100%.  Standards exist for a reason.  Whether I'm piloting a boat or private plane, the lighting standard is the same.  It makes absolutely no sense for UAS to be different, especially since you need to know the same things for the same reasons.
2015-5-2
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

And I thought that I was alone with my enmity for the lighting scheme, also I put it down with flying planes for so long and being too old to change. I find it especially bad as we use a red strobe on the rear as part of the anti-collision lighting with the white strobes on the wing tips. Having green at the front and red at the back would be better. I am not sure that other than old conventional reasons there is much of a safety concern. The red and green is useful in the air at night as it helps resolve if an aircraft in front is coming towards you or moving away from you. The strobes help us see it in the first instance. Even the reflectors on roads use red to mark the left hand side f things, as does the Labour Party.
2015-5-3
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
United States

I'm not sure if I should add this as a response to those with rebuttals about vertical separation, but here goes:
Can you see VLOS your craft > 1km horizontally? Maybe a craft above could identify you below VLOS at 1km below.
Also, a helicopter is capable of maneuvering in all axises as well, though not often in the direction of the tail unless in evasive maneuvers.
It is my expectation that either the agencies or insurance companies will influence these type of mandated changes if warranted. In the mean time, to each thier own. Oh, and by the way, the Enterprise had compliant nav lights in space, hah hah lol,
2015-5-3
Use props
Aerographis
lvl.2

United States

So someone should simply develop appropriate lenses for the lamps, right?
2015-5-4
Use props
darreneger
lvl.1

Australia

This is a ludicrous discussion in many respects. The standards are international and work for water craft and aircraft.  The inspire should be consistent with the standards.  
I'm not sure if the LEDs are coloured or its the lenses that are coloured. If its the latter, then swapping them around would be ideal.
Left or port lights should red, right or starboard green. The option to add a couple of lights would be great i.e.. steady white in front as we are required to light the inspire appropriately if wishing to seek and exemption to fly at night.
2015-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules