3234 19 2015-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have posted measurements and instructions on how to make a great bottom protector at:
http://www.droneflyers.com/talk/ ... bal-guard-free.965/

This is better than many of those which you can buy for $20-$40. It saved my P2 already and, as you can see, I installed one first thing on my P3.

Enjoy - and post pics of yours if you come up with any improvements!

gg3frombottom.jpg
2015-5-2
Use props
amstaff_loyalty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 546752 ft
Sweden

And how is the sonar going to measure ground?
2015-5-2
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

Thank you for posting!

How much does that affect the aerodynamics? It seems like it would catch some air while moving forward.
2015-5-2
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

amstaff_loyalty Posted at 2015-5-2 23:32
And how is the sonar going to measure ground?

Hah, I guess it's not going to fly in that mode - I originally made it for the P2.....

I could easily cut it out for that purpose......will do....thanks!

I've flown it in pretty stiff winds - no problem. See the video at:

You will notice quite a bit of wind in the first shot - it was 12MPH plus that day.

Now back to the drawing board to cut it for the P3 sensors! OK, I cut mine out but will leave it to you "makers" how much to cuts yours out....until I experiment and make certain what the exact size has to be for full function of the sensors. I suspect the cutout doesn't have to be too large because even stock the rear of the gimbal is not too far from the camera sensor.
2015-5-2
Use props
tncfotos
lvl.1

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-3 00:28
Hah, I guess it's not going to fly in that mode - I originally made it for the P2.....

I could eas ...

Cool, thanks!
2015-5-2
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

This is a copy of what I posted on RC groups:
well, here's what I came up with.   I figured I'd make cutouts for the vision portion and the camera.  This is 3/16 inch plexi glass.  Pretty sturdy and fits great into the groove on the landing gear.  

I can slide this forward or back to clear the camera.  I'll do a straight down shot to see how much I can move it forward and not impede camera vision.  At least this protects the gimble from a direct hit.     I'll probably drill holes and secure it with white zip ties.  It really looks clean and professional like this.  Instead of carbon fiber.

This really sucks.  Here I am modifying a drone I've never flown.  If it holds true, three more days and It will be one week from the announcement that the app will be released within a week. Apple better be working this weekend!

Edges have since been polished with 800 grit wet sanded.  The last photo reflects this
2015-5-2
Use props
xguy4ku
lvl.1

United States

ntfa@sbcglobal. Posted at 2015-5-3 07:11
well, here's what I came up with.   I figured I'd make ...

How heavy is that piece of plexi, just curious if it adds considerable weight ?
2015-5-2
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

xguy4ku Posted at 2015-5-3 07:17
How heavy is that piece of plexi, just curious if it adds considerable weight ?

Very light.  It's 3/16 inch.  Not heavy as all.  I'd say it's negligible
2015-5-2
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

Here's my final revision with holes drilled.  I think it turned out nice.   What I did noticed was that the legs were even more sturdy after application.  A side hit on the landing gear is less likely to break them off.

Just enough for my trackimo on the side..when it arrives.
2015-5-3
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

I applaud your ingenuity and effort to share with the group. One thing I wonder, though, is how much flex in the landing gear is supposed to be there, like how an airliner's wings are supposed to bend so that they don't break?

Flexing of the gear will absorb some of the energy of a hard landing, whereas tying the legs together rigidly transfers almost all the impact of a hard landing into the frame and gear mounting points, and this might lead to serious structural issues.

Just wondering...
2015-5-4
Use props
knicholas194
lvl.2

United States

ntfa@sbcglobal. Posted at 2015-5-4 03:51
Here's my final revision with holes drilled.  I think it turned out nice.   What I did noticed was t ...

This is awesome! It inspired me to make one for myself. I have to give credit to your design though, as I sort of reverse engineered it from your pics.
Anyways, I thought I'd post a link to the design so that if anyone else is interested in making one (this should make things easier for you).

Phantom 3 Gimbal Brace.pdf (268.68 KB, Down times: 43)
2015-5-4
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

Hey, that's great.  I'm sure you made the notches to prevent sliding.    I actually want mine to slide if the camera was obstructed.   I will report that after 4 flights yesterday, no problems with flight characteristics.    I do believe as is, you won't get a direct hit.  If you fly into something, the gimbal would be damaged.  But falling from the sky to dirt, I don't think so.  It would have to hit a certain way to take out the gimbal.  You just have to allow the gimbal to more freely and you do sacrifice some protection.  I had someone ask me to make them one on PM.  I can't do that.  But it is not hard.  All you need is a band saw with small blade or jig saw with a fine tooth blade.   I then take 220 grit and sand the edges that were cut and finish off with 800 grit wet sanded in the sink till all cut surfaces are polished.  You can polish these edges when you wet sand.  

Weight is negligible.   In my opinion, no change in vision or ultrasound ability.  Flew fine in doors.  That's why I made the center portion so skinny.  I could see the ultrasound being reflected back had I not.
2015-5-5
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-5-4 22:55
I applaud your ingenuity and effort to share with the group. One thing I wonder, though, is how much ...

Good question.   You can modify the length of the plexiglass to allow that movement.  Secure with the tie straps as tight as you want to allow that movement.   I personally, will always take off and land with the aid of the app.  Crashes, I think some rigidity would prevent the legs from breaking off.  Play with the length of the plexi to accommodate your needs.    I wanted my landing gear firm.  I used 3/16 plexi, but you can get more flex with 1/4 inch or maybe 1/8  inch.
2015-5-5
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-5-4 22:55
I applaud your ingenuity and effort to share with the group. One thing I wonder, though, is how much ...

Zip ties and/or the velcro straps have some play...
And, the landing gear is very stiff - it is not designed to splay outward to deflect energy....if it were so they would have sloped it further outwards.

I cut mine out quite a bit for the cam and for the sensors although I am going to turn VPS off anyway (in the app).
I have no need for it and I am superstitious after the bad sonar on the Parrot products.

from_bottom_final.jpg
2015-5-5
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-6 08:33
Zip ties and/or the velcro straps have some play...
And, the landing gear is very stiff - it is not ...

DF, ah, ok. I wonder what the beam pattern is for the the "Sonar"? I'm guessing you're still obscuring part of this, since sound is rarely focused.
2015-5-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-5-6 21:48
DF, ah, ok. I wonder what the beam pattern is for the the "Sonar"? I'm guessing you're still obscu ...

I checked with a drone engineer and he said one sonar sends and the other receives and that the cone is usually 5 degrees or so - which would make it very narrow.

It seems to work (the VPS), but I am going to turn mine off anyway since it does me absolutely no good. I don't need to fly inside and I can control the thing just fine with the baro and GPS, etc.
2015-5-6
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

Interesting, DF. At a 5 degree angle, the beam width will be just under a half inch when it reaches the bottom of the P3's legs, which would imply you're OK. Actually, though, most consumer sonars (like those used in fish finders) have beam widths of 20 degrees, selectable down to 8 degrees. Changing the cone angle to 20 degrees increases the width of the beam to roughly 1.75 inches...now you're going to have issues with the gimbal protector slicing off part of the beam. This may not be an issue, though, since the electronics in the positioning system is likely programmed to ignore any returns that close.

You should experiment to see if it works.
2015-5-7
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

I had a little spare time today and came up with this.  Lands very nice and soft, but probably catches too much wind . . .
Sponge Bob Gimbal Protector.JPG
2015-6-9
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

Great idea and thread . Going to get some lexan . thanks
2015-6-9
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

ntfa@sbcglobal. Posted at 2015-5-3 07:11
well, here's what I came up with.   I figured I'd make ...

I had to look through all the pics before I found your comment about securing the guard. One of the first protectors I saw just wedged in there and I don't think that's the best of ideas.

I purchased one I found here - one of the participants 3D-printed them - and it looks sharp, is incredibly light, but stiff and fastens with wire ties. I think the protector is a great idea.
2015-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules