12Next >
3076 52 2018-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jortiz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9383 ft
United States

Hello, I have a Phantom 4 and a few weeks ago I was having fun flying it. Well it just drooped from the sky. It fell on a grass area so it did not receive any damage except the Gimbal wont move and the cam is dead but I am here to talk about the battery.

After recovering the drone I noticed it would not power on with the battery it had. I was able to check the battery and it still had close to 50% of power. I took it out and placed another battery and the drone powered up. I put the "bad" battery back and it would not power on.

So yesterday I decided to open up the battery just to look around and to my surprise I found the issue to why my drone just fell down. It lost power. The RED wire that goes from the battery to the board was broken right over the welding. The welding it self is fine. To prove this was the issue, I kind of put it in a way for the RED wire to touch the welding closed a bit the battery, placed it on the drone and it came up.

So the issue now is, WHY this happened????

This battery had only 33 changes on it. this is not suppose to happen. Is this an isolated issue with a "defective" battery? or maybe a major issue it needs to be looked at so this don't happen to some one else.
Now I am afraid to fly it

I am posting some pics for the battery. I want to note I was very careful when I opened it and I am 100% sure I did not pull the wire bu mistake. Keep in mind this battery would not power up the drone but after presenting the RED wire on it place the drone powered up

20180220_214435-1.jpg
20180220_214445-1.jpg
2018-2-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, return the defective battery.

Opening it may have negated the warranty, I don't know?

RedHotPoker
2018-2-21
Use props
Vendex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

You've lost your warranty that way, why not send it for analysis before opening, if it is defective you could get new one? Try with your seller
2018-2-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Also please post a link to the last flight LOG.

For instructions please SEE: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Chas
2018-2-21
Use props
jortiz
lvl.1
United States

Is ok I lost the warranty and I am happy I opened it. I am sure many people just return the batteries and never know why. I could send it for analysis. I am wondering if this is an isolated issue or maybe a design problem that could be affecting many batteries and many people. I can say the wire cover is thick bur the wire it self is kind on thin. Maybe as the battery heats up after each use the wire start getting weak. If that is the case this is a big issue and could happen to other batteries.
2018-2-21
Use props
Siambuddhas Group
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

no worries...u might just upload your flight log and we might find something fishy in there on the battery too..................
2018-2-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Siambuddhas Group Posted at 2018-2-21 21:46
no worries...u might just upload your flight log and we might find something fishy in there on the battery too..................

I know. That's why I Also have requested a flight LOG revue.

But it seems some folks are not willing to share that info. Not sure why?

RedHotPoker
2018-2-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm so sorry to read your post. If the drone is still under warranty period, data analysis will be arranged to check the exact status. Please kindly start a case and send it in: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-2-21
Use props
Siambuddhas Group
lvl.4
Singapore

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-21 22:11
I know. That's why I Also have requested a flight LOG revue.

But it seems some folks are not willing to share that info. Not sure why?

weird...maybe some will think that we can hack and control the AC over the infos they uploaded?

2018-2-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Siambuddhas Group Posted at 2018-2-22 00:20
weird...maybe some will think that we can hack and control the AC over the infos they uploaded?

That would be quite the control issue. I live in Alberta Canada.

What about you, where are you situated.

Long distance flights are fun though. Haha

The battery wouldn't last long enough... ;-)

RedHotPoker

2018-2-22
Use props
Siambuddhas Group
lvl.4
Singapore

wahahahhhaha..i live at least 8000 miles away from u bro RHP ... that will the be the World record to intercept an DJI AC from US to SG...

Unless 1 day they gonna to make Solar cum Solar Charge (hybrid)...that will be extremely a good idea~!
2018-2-22
Use props
jortiz
lvl.1
United States

To me this is serious as it will be bad to loose a drone this type for any reason and I am careful and take care of my things. They cost money.
I flew just 8 min on that pass and started with a full battery. The drone was very close to me around 80 feet above ground when it fell.

Sorry but his is the first time I post here and I don't know how to upload. I went to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/  and uploaded the log. How can I make it show here?
2018-2-22
Use props
jortiz
lvl.1
United States

Ok I think I see how it works
here is the link
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XQFDTJNYS282S97PDYWH/
2018-2-22
Use props
jortiz
lvl.1
United States

I just noticed, Why was my post title changed? I want it to say Defective battery.
2018-2-22
Use props
jortiz
lvl.1
United States

---Defective Battery?-- My Drone just fell from the ski

I had posted this before and some how my post title changed

Here is the original tread
I am lookinmg for other people who may have encontered this issue.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-137057-1-1.html
2018-2-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just a thought, is it not possible that the drop broke lose the connection? Granted it wont explain why it dropped but.....
2018-2-22
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

jortiz Posted at 2018-2-22 11:56
Ok I think I see how it works
here is the link
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XQFDTJNYS282S97PDYWH/

You had just flown 1.1Km in 60 seconds and then back, if you often fly like that then maybe your batteries get more stress than most peoples, it does look like a stress fracture on the cable.  Can't remember having seen this reported before.

Do you use a gimbal guard in flight?
2018-2-23
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 892339 ft
Spain

I have this issue with the battery as well, but fortunately i found out this defective battery on the ground and had chance to save drone from falling down. But i agree this should be checked by DJI. By the way, i had post with this issue and addressed DJI to respond, but as usual DJI gave no answers whatsoever. I hope i will not loose my drone with two batteries i have.
2018-2-23
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Spain

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-2-23 01:55
You had just flown 1.1Km in 60 seconds and then back, if you often fly like that then maybe your batteries get more stress than most peoples, it does look like a stress fracture on the cable.  Can't remember having seen this reported before.

Do you use a gimbal guard in flight?

https://forum.dji.com/thread-135199-1-1.html

I posted this in less then two weeks ago, so i suppose two posts in two weeks quite often i would say
2018-2-23
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Drshiwas Posted at 2018-2-23 02:22

I posted this in less then two weeks ago, so i suppose two posts in two weeks quite often i would say

Does your battery have a broken cable?
Maybe you could open the dead battery and check?
2018-2-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch! Sorry to see that - hope you get it fixed soon.
2018-2-23
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
China

Hello, u are right. this is evidenve and must be kept. to ope is the right thing, even if u lost some dimes. i am sure DJI will neogiat with you, yust to keep quiet.     can you post a close up picture of the soldering point and another very close to the wire. straight on. thanks
2018-2-23
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
France

jortiz Posted at 2018-2-22 19:58
I had posted this before and some how my post title changed

Here is the original tread

Your link is gone.  Off course there is no battery issues, ever.
2018-2-23
Use props
jortiz
lvl.1
United States

T-R Posted at 2018-2-23 03:54
Your link is gone.  Off course there is no battery issues, ever.

Yes, I am starting to suspect DJI don't want to see here a thread that undermined their design. Yes there is a battery problem and they should not manipulate any text on the threads posted here. I am sure many people experience this. They may send the battery to DJI and they never explain the issue, Maybe just replace it.
This battery was over a year old but as I stated it was used about 35+ times. That is very little use as I have seen post that these battery should hold over 150 changes and more.

Also to the person who said that I may have stressed the battery. Well if the battery can't handle any flying pattern then they need to redesign it. I am not the only one who fly a drone in sport mode to have fun with it. The battery had just 50% of its battery when the drone fell. Actually I was in a stand still position for a few min as I was trying to get some sunset pictures when the drone just dropped.
Lost power as I came to see once I removed it.
I will post more pics fro the battery

I have a message for DJI, and it is that this really need to be checked out. Maybe these batteries come from China and they are using cheap materials.
2018-2-23
Use props
jortiz
lvl.1
United States

jortiz Posted at 2018-2-23 05:03
Yes, I am starting to suspect DJI don't want to see here a thread that undermined their design. Yes there is a battery problem and they should not manipulate any text on the threads posted here. I am sure many people experience this. They may send the battery to DJI and they never explain the issue, Maybe just replace it.
This battery was over a year old but as I stated it was used about 35+ times. That is very little use as I have seen post that these battery should hold over 150 changes and more.

2018-2-23
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
China

Yes, I am starting to suspect DJI don't want to see here a thread that undermined their design. Yes there is a battery problem and they should not manipulate any text on the threads posted here. I am sure many people experience this. They may send the battery to DJI and they never explain the issue, Maybe just replace it.

Haha.. you make me happy. Don't take it wrong. The batterys com from China? Well.....DYI is a China company and all is made in China, so the batterys as well. And, odd course they know the problem
2018-2-23
Use props
Rubenrtvd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1861293 ft
Switzerland

Hi,

my Phantom 4 Advanced fell from the sky 3 weeks ago at 105m high and 700m from me. I report it to DJI, after flight analysis they dont want to help me because everything was going fine before it stopped recording during flight and go to the crash. The drone was lost 17 days into the water, 2 days ago I found it in a water pant... my phantom looks bad... I cleaned it under clean water and now it's still dropped into rice. But I saw on the drone that the gimbal connectors are melted, arround one motor it is black so its seems carbonised, inside th drone its black also looks carbonised too. I flew a total of more than 500km with this p4A and never had any issue. I think it is a battery issue, but not sure. Like overtension?

Can a DJI admin help me? Because per email I have an answer every 7 days......
2018-2-23
Use props
jortiz
lvl.1
United States

Drshiwas Posted at 2018-2-23 02:22

Hello, looked at your post and this answer your question. Yes, there can be a battery failure in mid air.
2018-2-23
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
China

thank you for the details. the answer is clear.
when the person in charge cut with a tool the insulation around the copper wire, he cut as well some of the wires. clearly to see on the secon detail picture is, that the center of the wires is black by over heating, caused by high resistance of the wire what is by the accident cut, smaller in the mm2. means instead 2mm/quadrat it is may only 1.5 mmquadrat. thats for the resistand (ohm) get high. that cause an glow inside the copperwire, (ends in black wire) the glow is changing the resistant of the copper wire. next use more ohm ..more glow..more ohm and so on. on the end the copper wire is- in best case so glown out, that it needs nothing to break off. the pre-bendig of an insttalaton is enoug to make it of. or the wire catch fire and gives an internal wire burn. I hav seen many electic fires cause by this unprofessional work.
unfourtunatly this will be not the only battery like that. the person who is doing, had manny batteries in hand.

2018-2-23
Use props
Mickus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 601677 ft
United States

Difficult to be exact from pics but looks like stress fractures of wire, soldering looks good, issue seems related to movement of wire in relation to board causing wire to fracture . I would start a case with DJI and send battery in for inspection.
Way you fly has nothing to do with this. It is either a design flaw or build error, wires should not be allowed to move and be unaffacted by any vibtration.
Good Luck
2018-2-23
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
China

Rubenrtvd Posted at 2018-2-23 05:44
Hi,

my Phantom 4 Advanced fell from the sky 3 weeks ago at 105m high and 700m from me. I report it to DJI, after flight analysis they dont want to help me because everything was going fine before it stopped recording during flight and go to the crash. The drone was lost 17 days into the water, 2 days ago I found it in a water pant... my phantom looks bad... I cleaned it under clean water and now it's still dropped into rice. But I saw on the drone that the gimbal connectors are melted, arround one motor it is black so its seems carbonised, inside th drone its black also looks carbonised too. I flew a total of more than 500km with this p4A and never had any issue. I think it is a battery issue, but not sure. Like overtension?

my one felt down the sky some days ago too. out of sudden "lost signal". means no power. the battery was double safed by tape. maybe...
2018-2-23
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
China

a box of broken battery controller...   "somewhere" in china.

Your Batteries send in.....somewhere in China.
2018-2-23
Use props
jortiz
lvl.1
United States

Thanks T-R and Thanks Mickus. That is also my take on this. My drone and battery are not under warranty and at this point is about an issue they needs to looked at. I did open a case. The drone fly's fine after the crash but I lost the camera feed. At first the gimbal would not initialize. I removed it and re connected all connection from drone to gimbal. Now i can see the gimbal move and align but I have no video.      
2018-2-23
Use props
jortiz
lvl.1
United States

T-R Posted at 2018-2-23 06:16
my one felt down the sky some days ago too. out of sudden "lost signal". means no power. the battery was double safed by tape. maybe...

That is how it happened to me. The drone fell about 20 to 30 feet in from of me and from about 80+ feet high. My phone showed signal lost
2018-2-23
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.2

Canada

jortiz Posted at 2018-2-23 06:28
That is how it happened to me. The drone fell about 20 to 30 feet in from of me and from about 80+ feet high. My phone showed signal lost

Geez that is just straight scary !  I think I will rewire all my P4 batteries this weekend..., good find guys.
Just imagine losing your 2000 dollar craft due to 150 dollars battery or a 1 dollar cable that is defective.
Opening all the batteries this weekend and snapping photos.
2018-2-23
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
China

my drone is a total lost.  
to the wiring issue:  this error on the battery is a huge and hidden error of cunstruction. hidden error means that noone can see it until its happen. thats for the warranty is, by law, extendet. if you run out of that a law suit and claim not only the battery, you have a damaged drone, lost of time and maybe more, this will be succsessful in court.  i would recomment to DJI to do seriously and fast action with that cases.  
who want rewire the Batterie: use new and Wires. i would recoment solid wire for higher Ohm.  
2018-2-23
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Spain

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-2-23 02:57
Does your battery have a broken cable?
Maybe you could open the dead battery and check?

I don't know if it's broken, didn't checked yet. And i already arranged return this battery to vendor. But maybe i will try to open it to see inside.
2018-2-23
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Spain

jortiz Posted at 2018-2-23 05:48
Hello, looked at your post and this answer your question. Yes, there can be a battery failure in mid air.

Thanks, now i realise that myself

I'm lucky to have this failure on ground. But now how can i be sure about reliability of drone?
2018-2-23
Use props
jortiz
lvl.1
United States

Drshiwas Posted at 2018-2-23 09:03
Thanks, now i realise that myself  

I'm lucky to have this failure on ground. But now how can i be sure about reliability of drone?

Makes you wonder. I want to fix the issue I now have with the camera but for when I fly again I will be afraid every time I do. Next time I may not be so lucky and could be a total lost.
2018-2-23
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Also to the person who said that I may have stressed the battery. Well if the battery can't handle any flying pattern then they need to redesign it

Agreed, I was just suggesting a reason why we haven't seen similar photos before.

You didn't answer the question about flying with a gimbal guard...
2018-2-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules