No Fly database update stuck at 99% and now spark is bricked
2427 9 2018-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmurchison
lvl.2
Flight distance : 203333 ft
United States

Plugged my spark into DJ Assistant 2 and was told it needed to update the No Fly Database, I hit okay and it got to 99% and stayed there until the battery ran out of juice. Now the spark just quick flashes yellow and will not connect to the RC, has no wifi, and DJ assistant doesn't see it. If I power it on and then press and hold the power button for 3,6,10, 1 minutes I never get a beep or anything else.
2018-2-23
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Oh No. The lastest no fly database on dji assistant 2 is known to brick the spark.
The only way to fix it is to send it to DJI
2018-2-23
Use props
jmurchison
lvl.2
United States

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-2-23 06:20
Oh No. The lastest no fly database on dji assistant 2 is known to brick the spark.
The only way to fix it is to send it to DJI

I was afraid of that
2018-2-23
Use props
jmurchison
lvl.2
United States

Support has me sending it back for repair
2018-2-23
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately I don't have anything to help you out of your situation, but in case someone else runs into similar when doing updates in the future, I'll add my thoughts....

If an update hangs like that  (firmware or flysafe db), I would recommend not letting it go until the battery dies.  If it does get stuck, let it run as long as possible, but do not let the battery die.  It is less likely to brick your device if you disconnect it and power it off normally than it is if you let the battery die.  When you power it off in that situation, it gives it a chance to close off some processes before it actually shuts down.  I'm not saying it won't still brick it in some situations, but I think it is less likely if you power off vs. battery dies.

On my Mavic Air, I had a firmware update get stuck like that.  I kept an eye on the battery level and once it got down to the last light blinking, I powered it off.  After doing this, I was able to put in a different battery and try it again (with success).

Best of luck in getting a quick resolution and getting back out and flying soon!
2018-2-23
Use props
jmurchison
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, I have the DJI care and just dropped it off at UPS, the repair center is in TX which is a quick trip from Georgia so I am hoping for a quick turn around. The good news is I have a Mavic Air that will hold me over until the Spark gets back.
2018-2-23
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-23 08:16
Unfortunately I don't have anything to help you out of your situation, but in case someone else runs into similar when doing updates in the future, I'll add my thoughts....

If an update hangs like that  (firmware or flysafe db), I would recommend not letting it go until the battery dies.  If it does get stuck, let it run as long as possible, but do not let the battery die.  It is less likely to brick your device if you disconnect it and power it off normally than it is if you let the battery die.  When you power it off in that situation, it gives it a chance to close off some processes before it actually shuts down.  I'm not saying it won't still brick it in some situations, but I think it is less likely if you power off vs. battery dies.

Firmware is a "different kettle of fish" to the NFZ update.

The FW only takes effect on the reboot so if it fails mid process you can disconnect and then start again.

The NFZ uses a different method that is not as reliable.

Mine did the same. The issue is with the version of DJI Assistant 2 that has been released for the Air.

That version of assistant is recommended for the Air, Pro. and P4. As they all required FW updates.

The Spark only require d a NFZ update looks like DJI did not test the latest begin of the assistant with the Spark.

The issue is the same on the Windows and Mac version.

I issued a warning a week ago on this issue.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-134883-1-1.html

Mine will be back after a "main board replacement"? on Monday.

Cheers Brian

2018-2-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. We would not recommend users use the DJI Assistant 2 from other website. If your spark bricked because of the update, please send it back for check: http://www.dji.com/support Thanks for your support.
2018-2-23
Use props
jmurchison
lvl.2
United States

DJI repaid has just looked at my Spark

Dear Customer, This product will be covered under warranty. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability. For more information, please visit (http://www.dji.com/service/policy). - DJI North America

Item
Quantity
Unit Price(USD)
Total Price(USD)
Aircraft Main Board
Motor
Repair Service Fee
65.00/H
Freight:

Total Amount:

DJI Care deduction:

Total Payment:

2018-3-1
Use props
Oli Aponte
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27326 ft
Puerto Rico

sorry if this feels like reviving a zombie.. but I'm new to these forums. My Spark also got stuck at 99% updating the Fly Zones.. as I was waiting for it to finish I ran into this thread and proceeded to poop my pants.. I need the Spark this weekend, and thought I had bricked it.. Which made me think.. if this thread is just almost a month old, I hope DJI has address the issue, and is not letting other users brick their Sparks by not pulling the update or fixing it.
2018-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules