7518 28 2018-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Roamingskies
lvl.4
Flight distance : 646667 ft
Australia

Hi Everyone,

As I'm sure you have all seen DJI is now including (for free) the spark controller (normally $150 USD) when you purchase the already discounted drone. Are they just trying to get rid of stock now?

With the release of the Mavic Air which is similar in price to the Spark fly more and considering the airs superiority. Does anyone else think that the spark may become a thing of the past in the near future? I'm trying to think of where it falls in the DJI lineup. Considering they included all the gestures and "selfie" capabilities into the air, I'm not sure if it even stands up as a "selfie drone" anymore.

Has anyone else had thoughts like this?

2018-2-24
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. We don't have news about discontinuing spark. We will inform users if we have this plan. Thanks for your attention.
2018-2-24
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI is just repositioning the product range and price points. They can afford to reduce price on products that have paid for the invested R&D effort.
2018-2-24
Use props
Ricky Aerial Photography
lvl.3
Hong Kong

A new generation Drone technology is on the horizon. Other drone companies are exploring using imaging system to RTH and position itself. DJI Spark relies on unreliable, GPS and Compass, and causes so many flyaway in cases of lost wifi connection. I am not surprised that DJI is abandoning Spark. No upgrading and no bug fixing on Spark for sometime now. May be DJI cannot solve the design problem in Spark, e.g. wifi interference and heat cooling, thus wants to get ride of this product a.s.a.p. and moves ahead with new and improved products.
Given the limitations using wifi (very busy) channels, wifi drones does not have a future. To protect the company's profit, there is no reason for DJI to input more resources to fix a drone that may have fundamental design faults. I always say, "Stay away from wifi Drones".
2018-2-24
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Ricky Aerial Photography Posted at 2018-2-24 03:14
A new generation Drone technology is on the horizon. Other drone companies are exploring using imaging system to RTH and position itself. DJI Spark relies on unreliable, GPS and Compass, and causes so many flyaway in cases of lost wifi connection. I am not surprised that DJI is abandoning Spark. No upgrading and no bug fixing on Spark for sometime now. May be DJI cannot solve the design problem in Spark, e.g. wifi interference and heat cooling, thus wants to get ride of this product a.s.a.p. and moves ahead with new and improved products.
Given the limitations using wifi (very busy) channels, wifi drones does not have a future. To protect the company's profit, there is no reason for DJI to input more resources to fix a drone that may have fundamental design faults. I always say, "Stay away from wifi Drones".

you cant stay away from wifi drones as the Mavic Air is a wifi drone similar to the SPARK.
Not fixing the SPARK wiFi is a marketing tool for Mavic Air for the DJI management.
2018-2-24
Use props
DamoSimp
lvl.2
Denmark

I don’t care to much about future plans for Spark. but it’s price point/features were inconsistent once the Air hit the market. The Spark is IMO still the best drone on the market for entry level drone photography and an excellent quality product compared to any near competitor. This is a technology industry and moves fast so just like a new pc in 12-18 months who knows what they will put out. My hope is a better lightweight/under 250 gram, 4K ‘selfie’ style drone.
2018-2-24
Use props
Roamingskies
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-24 02:07
Hi, there. We don't have news about discontinuing spark. We will inform users if we have this plan. Thanks for your attention.

Thanks Elektra. Is there any news on any upcoming updates for the Spark? It's been months since the last firmware update.  
2018-2-24
Use props
Roamingskies
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-24 02:07

Thanks Elektra. Is there any news on any upcoming updates for the Spark? It's been months since the last firmware update
2018-2-24
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

wouldn't make sense to drop Spark, imo - at least not until the same price point is serviced by something with a > or = feature/performance mix (ie: mavic air at 4-600). plenty consumers out there like myself who were just not ever going to drop a Grand + to get in this game. if dji wants to be as big as it seems it does, it can't rely solely on early-adopters with unlimited budgets.
2018-2-24
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Instinct tells me it’s going away, but my heart says please continue improving the drone with some much needed firmware feature upgrades to make people excited about this quad again.  I actually still really enjoy my Spark, and fly it regularly.
2018-2-24
Use props
jorgerocha
lvl.1
Flight distance : 270653 ft

Colombia

Unbelieve, like ten month to made  spark fly with no problems  and on dji they can not solve a problem  to fly very good with this drone, on android  i read  a lot  of post  and every body  said something different  to try to fly it, i believe they have not finished inventing before they release it
2018-2-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I doubt they will do that now already.
They only need to make some room between the Air and the Spark.
So with controller, the package is more complete and can compete better with the Air  pricewise I would think.
And of course, it will be discontinued someday.
2018-2-24
Use props
rottie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2231 ft
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-24 11:33
I doubt they will do that now already.
They only need to make some room between the Air and the Spark.
So with controller, the package is more complete and can compete better with the Air  pricewise I would think.

what goes up must come down
2018-2-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rottie Posted at 2018-2-24 11:41
what goes up must come down

Usually after 10 minutes
2018-2-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It will eventually be discontinued for sure, all tech is but when is another question. I can't see them stopping production of the Spark any time soon as it remains a good entry level drone and the reduced price point will make it more attractive to new drone flyers who don't want to part with a grand on something they may crash.
2018-2-24
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-2-24 10:01
Instinct tells me it’s going away, but my heart says please continue improving the drone with some much needed firmware feature upgrades to make people excited about this quad again.  I actually still really enjoy my Spark, and fly it regularly.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
2018-2-24
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-24 11:50
Usually after 10 minutes

Or when the battery runs out!
2018-2-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Since the Mavic Pro is $800 on Amazon and the Mavic Air is $800 on Amazon, that is what we call a similar price.  They may be discontinuing the Pro since the air is better and smaller.  The Spark is $200 or $400 cheaper than the Mavic Air depending on the package you get.  A $200 or $400 dollar difference is not similar to most people.

Buy the Mavic Air if you want 4k and folding arms.  Buy the Spark if you want a cheap drone.  Buy the Mavic Pro if you collect old  things (need something to go with your Phantom 3, Projection TV, and Segway transporter).  
2018-2-24
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

Mavic Air is everything that Spark owners have wished for. OTG connecting (actually it is not OTG), 4K video, reliable flight controller (no single fly away nor dropoff), enhanced wifi for longer range. So  isn’t it the Spark 2 already?
2018-2-24
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-2-24 20:48
Since the Mavic Pro is $800 on Amazon and the Mavic Air is $800 on Amazon, that is what we call a similar price.  They may be discontinuing the Pro since the air is better and smaller.  The Spark is $200 or $400 cheaper than the Mavic Air depending on the package you get.  A $200 or $400 dollar difference is not similar to most people.

Buy the Mavic Air if you want 4k and folding arms.  Buy the Spark if you want a cheap drone.  Buy the Mavic Pro if you collect old  things (need something to go with your Phantom 3, Projection TV, and Segway transporter).

I agree with you on this! Bang on!
2018-2-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

dji TO88 Posted at 2018-2-24 16:52
Or when the battery runs out!

Just like that
2018-2-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

dji TO88 Posted at 2018-2-24 21:25
I agree with you on this! Bang on!

The Pro still has the better range, true 4K, more flight modes and better lens (sharper image).
The only thing it lacks is the 100Mb/s bitrate.
2018-2-25
Use props
bighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Air better than pro? Nah, no way I would replace an ocusync drone with a Wi-Fi drone. Some of us have left Wi-Fi since phantom 3 and have zero desire of going back. To put it simply, the mavic air is a spark pro. Personally if I could have the spark as it is now, just as quiet, but with ocusync, I would take it in a heartbeat because I love it's simplicity.
2018-2-25
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Spark is currently my only flyer I didn't crash (yet).
Problem is, too many noobs got into the hobby with Spark instead of 40 USD Syma or something similar to actually learn to fly.
Drone flying cannot be learned with Spark as it's too automated for beginners drone and when some of the systems go down, well...
One of the very few things DJI gets right is - SIZE.
With all the bureaucratic BS hitting even third or fourth world countries, enjoying the hobby properly but legally is mission impossible.
So, Spark is closest to ideal < 250g flyer, but is still lacking reliable interference-free link and C&C. Once weight and control is sorted out, that will be it.
Than in a year or two, Lithium graphene batteries will emerge and than hobby will begin to be great again.
So, I don't see Spark concept going away anytime soon.
As a matter of fact, it's the only concept having the future as a hobby with all the legislation.
2018-2-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Roamingskies Posted at 2018-2-24 04:08
Thanks Elektra. Is there any news on any upcoming updates for the Spark? It's been months since the last firmware update

No, thanks for your attention. Have a nice day.
2018-2-27
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

you can guarantee the spark will be discontinued.  The only question is whether or not there will be a Spark 2 or not.    I really don’t know what they will do with a Spark2 that makes it worth upgrading yet doesn’t complete with the Air.    To me it would have made more sense to call the Air the Spark 2.

If I was to go again, I would probably get the Air, but I still love the spark.   
2018-2-27
Use props
djiuser_yx0NJEbCVrSu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14275 ft
United Kingdom

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-2-27 02:57
you can guarantee the spark will be discontinued.  The only question is whether or not there will be a Spark 2 or not.    I really don’t know what they will do with a Spark2 that makes it worth upgrading yet doesn’t complete with the Air.    To me it would have made more sense to call the Air the Spark 2.

If I was to go again, I would probably get the Air, but I still love the spark.

Heliguy here in UK have only discounted prices for Sparks - that's what made me wonder about its possible discontinuance.
Here's the listing page
https://www.heliguy.com/dji-c610/spark-c905
2018-5-23
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

djiuser_yx0NJEbCVrSu Posted at 2018-5-23 11:59
Heliguy here in UK have only discounted prices for Sparks - that's what made me wonder about its possible discontinuance.
Here's the listing page
https://www.heliguy.com/dji-c610/spark-c905

SPARK will never go obsolete. Be sure as it caters to a specific market segment which is very lucrative.
2018-5-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

My guess is that dji is restructuring the price line up.  I been saying this for a while now but they need to reduce the cost of the spark.  $350 would be almost perfect price for a fly more bundle and makes room for a full featured Spark 2/ Spark Advanced.  They can stop selling stand alone drone.. fly more bundle and and maybe $50 more for a fly more premium and include another battery and a car charger.

We are on the brink of a major drone revolution as other people have mentioned.  And not that far away from being obtainable on spark sized hardware. I’m going to guess 1-3 years before we start setting this really huge leap in automated capabilities hitting a lot closer to what average consumer wants to pay.. and becoming somehate more mainstreamed.

Also I feel like the spark is just a proof of concept.  It feels so unfinished to me... I think it is actually unfinished.  And laying ground work for a spark 2 or a spark advanced.  Dji just coddled it together using offthe self parts to see how it faired.  Like the original iPad for Apple.. just basically an iPod Touch parts coddled together into a tablet to see if the market wanted a tablet. Original iPad wasn’t that great either compared to the follow ups.  That’s how spark feels to me.

2018-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules