This Can't be from the FAA
2044 18 2018-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Buddy of mine who has his 107 just sent me a link that he found.  It SAYS that it's from the FAA, but it can't be.   For us U. S. Flyers, someone take a look at this.  I'm hoping that it's a work in progress because right now it's messed up.  When you go to it, about half way down the page it says:

Visualize It: See FAA UAS Data on a Map
Click the open button, and you get a map of the US.  Once it finishes loading, zoom in on an area and it gives you the maximum altitude that you can fly a UAS in that area.  Some of these values seem to be WAY off.  Major airports of course are listed as "0" altitude which is normal.  But a short distance out it says 100, then 300, then 400 feet really close to the airport.  

If this is a work in progress, they got a ways to go.  If it's a fake site..... I dunno.  It goes against pretty much a lot of stuff that I thought I knew.  According to this site, I can fly my drone up to 400 feet, 2 miles south of DFW airport IN the approach path.    And I know THAT ain't right.  I'm looking, but I ain't believing..
2018-2-24
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Well, you didn't post the link to that site.  But verifying it's authenticity isn't hard to do.  Look at the URL, do a Google check - lots of ways to validate.
2018-2-24
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-2-24 17:01
Well, you didn't post the link to that site.  But verifying it's authenticity isn't hard to do.  Look at the URL, do a Google check - lots of ways to validate.

oh crap... senior moment..

https://uas-faa.opendata.arcgis.com/
2018-2-24
Use props
W.Cordes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 138793 ft
United States

Looks like it's not FAA as not a .gov site.
2018-2-24
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

yeah, but that Arcgis.com site is a mapping site used by at least local governments.  I used them when I worked for a City.  I don't know.. the data seems a bit screwed up to be a FAA information page.
2018-2-24
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-2-24 17:15
yeah, but that Arcgis.com site is a mapping site used by at least local governments.  I used them when I worked for a City.  I don't know.. the data seems a bit screwed up to be a FAA information page.

Looks good to me, I have seen this elsewhere, and I see that it is getting populated with more cities.
Last time I checked, my area was on on this, and now it is.
2018-2-24
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Read it. It says it is for Part 107 pilots with authorization from ATC. It doesn’t say ATC has to give you clearance. It’s just the maximum altitude they can give you if they decide to.
2018-2-24
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

I'll have to check it later. Working off my phone since my grandson decided he wants to play "portal" on my computer.
2018-2-24
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-2-24 17:08
oh crap... senior moment..

https://uas-faa.opendata.arcgis.com/

Yes, that is a real FAA site.  It is linked from this page:  https://www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/airspace_restrictions/
2018-2-24
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Looks real to me, think is has to do with the landing/tale off flight path of the runways.
https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 8e19806ebf6a06754ad
2018-2-25
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Is the map saying at ceiling Zero you can not fly? I am 5 miles from an airport and outside Class D, As can  be seen on the map. I got permission from the city to fly at a local park(Fain Park) but now I see it is in a "0" square. Can I still fly there???
2018-2-25
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

Beats me.  Someone said and I finally found that this is suppose to be the Max altitude you can fly IF you are 107 and IF you have permission from ATC and the Airport.  I got no idea on this one.  
2018-2-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-24 18:36
Yes, that is a real FAA site.  It is linked from this page:  https://www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/airspace_restrictions/

Being it does not end with ".gov"; the website is outside Government Domain.  
FAA's real web page is linking to an external non government website.
2018-3-3
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I understand that, but it still doesn't change the fact that it is a real FAA site populated by information from the FAA.  Many government entities utilize the arcgis.com website for various purposes.  My local county government uses it for property records mapping.
2018-3-4
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-2-25 09:07
Is the map saying at ceiling Zero you can not fly? I am 5 miles from an airport and outside Class D, As can  be seen on the map. I got permission from the city to fly at a local park(Fain Park) but now I see it is in a "0" square. [view_image] Can I still fly there???

Even though you maybe be far away from the ATC Tower that block that is showing 0' AGL may be an approach / departure vector for incoming / outgoing AC. I am 107'd and some airports will do this whereas other airports will classify 0' AGL for all perimeter vectors.
And yes this is a valid site utilized by the FAA. Been around for quite awhile now.
2018-3-4
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-4 06:18
Even though you maybe be far away from the ATC Tower that block that is showing 0' AGL may be an approach / departure vector for incoming / outgoing AC. I am 107'd and some airports will do this whereas other airports will classify 0' AGL for all perimeter vectors.
And yes this is a valid site utilized by the FAA. Been around for quite awhile now.

QuadKid, I think you might be correct about that area being part of the approach/departure area. I just noticed it.
Emery Riddle has a flight school at the airport and I see planes/helicopters flying in that direction all the time.  I just never seem them flying in that 0' AGL square. Most of there flight path is more then  few miles from that area.
Thanks for pointing it out.

2018-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-2-25 10:39
Beats me.  Someone said and I finally found that this is suppose to be the Max altitude you can fly IF you are 107 and IF you have permission from ATC and the Airport.  I got no idea on this one.

That would be normal for 107 but you will need SOP and the OK from ATC, and it’s not as easy as you might think to get permission.
2018-3-4
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-4 09:14
That would be normal for 107 but you will need SOP and the OK from ATC, and it’s not as easy as you might think to get permission.

Actually you would be issued a (COA) Certificate of Authorization, a waiver can take up to 90 days for approval, although there are companies such as SkyWard that can expedite the process for you for a fee very expensive, the FAA FAA Waiver Application is trying to streamline their application process and yes the airport effected would require verbal notification prior to flight, the information they want is your 107 permit #, type of AC (Don't call them drones they prefer Quadcopters, drones to ATC has a military reference), Quadrant relative to the tower you will be flying in, start time, max elevation, stop time, your phone number.

Every airport I have contacted whether flying 107 or 336 (Recreational) has been very co-operative and appreciate the heads up.
2018-3-4
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know about this one either.  I have a towered airport close to my house, and my "Hover" app says no fly, DJI warns me, yet the airport does not show on the map on this site.  And there are a few other airports in the area missing.
2018-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules