Auto Tracking on Snow slope
4526 16 2018-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salman Latif
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70892 ft
Japan

It’s been many weeks I’m trying to set auto tracking while I’m snowboarding. Somehow it does not follows you on slopes but camera recognizes you.

What I did:
I turned on my video recording and then I made circle/box on my self while it was in front of me. To test if it works 8 moved my body left and right and camera also moved left and right. Now it was working....!

What failed:
When I moved forward on my snowboard, drone didn’t followed me and it remained on its position.

Weather condition:
It was clear sunny day.
Temperature was 5 Degree
Snow was bright white
Land was slope

I was wearing black and grey jacket

Question:

Mavic air does not works on snow?
2018-2-25
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Sounds like you were in spotlight mode. It won’t track you downhill.
2018-2-25
Use props
Salman Latif
lvl.1
Japan

Ok, I’m bit confused. I see three different options in auto tracking.
1. Spotlight
2. Profile
3. (I forgot one more option)

So which option does exactly works for follow track?
2018-2-25
Use props
Salman Latif
lvl.1
Japan

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-2-25 04:39
Sounds like you were in spotlight mode. It won’t track you downhill.

I just checked which option I used when I was snowboarding.

In Active Track - Trace

It moved the camera lens on me but didn't move the drone to follow me........

Maybe due to the white snow ground or maybe I was little far away?

What do you suggest?
2018-2-25
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Practice until you can get it. No matter what it will not follow down hill.
2018-2-25
Use props
Pumpkin
New
Switzerland

If it tracks you uphill, why doesn't it track you downhill?
I am having the same issue...
2018-4-8
Use props
Ridg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

tracking should work find on snow, but you need to keep in mind the following; the mavic wont change altitude with you and if you go into shadows (bright day) it will lose you.  Iv'e got a video of myself testing it out (on skis though)
In the video it track well but as soon as it enters the high contrast area of shadows it loses lock and just sits there.

2018-4-8
Use props
MountainTriguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57923 ft
United States

I've had the same issues as other. The Mavic not changing altitude while skiing. Apparently this isn't an issue, it's a setting that DJI hasn't added to the GO4 app. I have come across an app that will adjust altitude  as you drop down a slope. I haven't tried it out yet as ski season is over. But I will try it and just run down a hill. I don't want to say the name of the app out of respect for DJI. But it does exist.
2018-6-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MountainTriguy Posted at 2018-6-17 19:04
I've had the same issues as other. The Mavic not changing altitude while skiing. Apparently this isn't an issue, it's a setting that DJI hasn't added to the GO4 app. I have come across an app that will adjust altitude  as you drop down a slope. I haven't tried it out yet as ski season is over. But I will try it and just run down a hill. I don't want to say the name of the app out of respect for DJI. But it does exist.

So you got it then! ;)
2018-6-18
Use props
devilsBastard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 254370 ft

Yep, automatic altitude is a must for the next update(s). Hope DJI will add this feature soon.
2018-6-18
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You are hitting Go after you mark yourself? Otherwise it will just hover and watch you lol.
2018-6-18
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 982382 ft

I've had a tough time with trace mode. It remains stationery but follows me.

Profile mode is what works for me. It follows me at a steady distance from any angle I set it to from the beginning. During the profile active track, you can use the sticks to adjust your angles and positioning.
2018-6-18
Use props
Jotne
lvl.3
Brazil

Here is another way to do it, but you need an operator.

Use the Litchi app and sett  up Cable cam that follows your slop.  You can set it to go down and uphill as well.
As soon as you start skiing you make to operator just run forward and keep you in the camera frame.

Example
2018-6-18
Use props
MountainTriguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57923 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-6-18 00:54
So you got it then! ;)

I did. I took it for a test spin today. It did drop elevation, But I'm still learning how to make it get into the position I want. I just hope it's the learning curve.
2018-6-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MountainTriguy Posted at 2018-6-19 19:43
I did. I took it for a test spin today. It did drop elevation, But I'm still learning how to make it get into the position I want. I just hope it's the learning curve.

Good luck with it. Best to keep the drone close so you can see to control an emergency situ better. Most problems on that app are caused by the pilot sending it away too far or not setting the altitude high enough to fly over buildings/trees etc.
2018-6-19
Use props
brianoflondon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1163743 ft
Israel

I had the drone follow my 4x4 car down a pretty steep descent in the desert and it definitely changed altitude and followed us down. Not sure why it wouldn’t do the same thing following you down a ski slope.
2018-6-20
Use props
lenabanana
lvl.1
Canada

brianoflondon Posted at 2018-6-20 23:34
I had the drone follow my 4x4 car down a pretty steep descent in the desert and it definitely changed altitude and followed us down. Not sure why it wouldn’t do the same thing following you down a ski slope.

I imagine that if you launched the drone at the bottom of the hill and had it on while the elevation increased it may work, but if you turn it on at the top of the hill - I would think that it wouldn't go into negative elevation?
Haven't tested this - just a thought.   I considered this previously but was unable to find a ski resort that didn't kick you out for using a drone.
2018-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules