To Filter or Not to Filter
508 6 2018-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9cf8f2cd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26480 ft
United States

P4, 1080p, "stock" settings.I have read so much about filters on the Phantom 4 forums sites, and have not been able to find an answer to my question.
I bought a set of ND filters and started with the ND4 up to ND8. Seems like all they did was make the photos/videos darker. Are these filters made for those who want to change settings; shutter/exposure/aperature. All I want to do is take photos and video.
So should I just use a UV filter and call it a day?

2018-2-25
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Give this a read, it may answer your questions.
https://press.polarprofilters.com/why-use-and-nd-filter-drone/
2018-2-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ND filters in general are only there to lower your shutterspeed.
On a drone you mainly want that for video (to get a shutterspeed that is double the framerate).
For stills they are not needed (you would want fast shutterspeeds to get sharp footage)
2018-2-25
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4
United States

Don't people also recommend only shooting in 2.7K or 4K, due to the less-than-optimal coding for 1080p?
2018-2-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa Posted at 2018-2-25 14:50
Don't people also recommend only shooting in 2.7K or 4K, due to the less-than-optimal coding for 1080p?

No, that is urban myth.
2018-2-25
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 321398 ft
United States

Fans, I just started using filters too. My issue is im usually around Lake Superior, it reflects the sun pretty good. Ive seen the videos on line showing the difference  with and without. Im all up for jumping in to learning how to use manual camera settings. I just have to get use to being able to pause during a flight to change settings if I need to. Cool Luck. I know there is the 180 degree rule. Its a good starting point.
2018-2-25
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ND filters are very good in still photography and very widely used, from the normal ND to the gradual ND, they reduce the light hitting the sensor, this means you can adjust your settings and get some lovely shots, many use them to get those silky smooth water flow shots, heres a good example

ps, this could be a bit more than our camers can achieve mind but its just an exmple...

2018-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules