Different sets of propellers
1193 12 2018-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aolchawa
lvl.1
Italy

Hello DJI users!

I'm a happy owner of Mavic Pro. I had 2 sets of noice reduced propellers (4 pieces), one of which was demaged. I have a spare set but the standard one so my question is, can I use 2 different sets of propellers, i.e. 2 noice reduced propellers and 2 default ones?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers
2018-2-26
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

You should only use 4 props of the same kind at a time. You must buy a set of low-noise props more.

Regards Leif.
2018-2-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would not recommend it as the blades will be unbalanced
2018-2-26
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

You guys are probably right, but I can not see why it should not work. Two of one kind on the front engines and two of the other kind at the back. There will not be any imbalance in what I imagine. There must be someone who has tried it, I guess?
2018-2-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FlyDK Posted at 2018-2-26 16:14
You guys are probably right, but I can not see why it should not work. Two of one kind on the front engines and two of the other kind at the back. There will not be any imbalance in what I imagine. There must be someone who has tried it, I guess?

The 8331 props drive a lower RPM to the motors over the 8330's - they are also a different length and have winglet tips - never tried it and never will myself but at the very least I can imagine drift issues and possible instability (or worse). I'm sure somebody on here has tried it. Kind of intrigued to know now!
2018-2-26
Use props
AlejandroCalori
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18530 ft

Argentina

I think it may work but it'll force two motors more than the other two, i could lead to troubles I GUESS.
2018-2-26
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

A CW Posted at 2018-2-26 16:29
The 8331 props drive a lower RPM to the motors over the 8330's - they are also a different length and have winglet tips - never tried it and never will myself but at the very least I can imagine drift issues and possible instability (or worse). I'm sure somebody on here has tried it. Kind of intrigued to know now!

Still, I write only in theory from the little knowledge I have about quatcopters, and I think the question posed by OP is quite interesting.

We all know that quatcopters (at least the stabilized) constantly adjust the engine revolutions to stay stable floating so they do not tickle in any direction. It happens constantly, even with the same type of propeller mounted on all four engines.

If a motor is fitted with a propeller with a slightly lower lifting capacity than the other three, I think the engine just rotates a bit faster to keep the drone stable in the air - don't you? There will still be perfect balance in each propeller.

I just might test it if nobody else has.
2018-2-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, please don't use 2 different sets of propellers at the same time on the drone. Please keep using a set of propellers on the drone to ensure the compatibility and stability of the performance.
2018-2-26
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-26 17:58
Hi there, please don't use 2 different sets of propellers at the same time on the drone. Please keep using a set of propellers on the drone to ensure the compatibility and stability of the performance.

Point taken, and I understand that. But also - that's what you have to say.
2018-2-26
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

I recommend using 2 low noise on the front
While using 2 standard ones on the back.
This is because the mavic is front heavy and since the low noise props produces more lift, it would balance itself out.
2018-2-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

FlyDK Posted at 2018-2-26 18:05
Point taken, and I understand that. But also - that's what you have to say.

Thank you for understanding and support. And it is also suggested by our engineers.
2018-2-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You are correct.  It will work.  But... the loading will be out of balance from what it was designed to do.  It has been proven that clipping the props to a shorter length will also still fly, but the load balance is way off when you do it.  For best life of the product and the sake of your warranty, stick with a balanced drive system.  By the way, I'm sure if you look at the data logs, you will see that it would be easy for an engineer to tell that you were running an imbalanced system.  Poof, loss of warranty.
2018-2-26
Use props
aolchawa
lvl.1
Italy

Hi all,

Many thanks for the answers, that's was very informative and useful. I've decided to go for 2 sets of the same type of props, just in case :-)
2018-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules