Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Proper company/customer communication
1653 4 2015-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rothgarr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 470663 ft
United States

I know there have been many threads about the lack of iOS Pilot app availability and I hate to start a new one. I have not in any thread bad-mouthed DJI, I'm a rational person and as someone who works in technology and have submitted apps for Apple's approval I know what they are going through.

What bugs me is the need for customers to actively search for updates and repeatedly have to inquire about updates.

I wanted to share a similar experience I had with another product (a game called Shadowrun Online). It launched this week and it was a disaster. But rather than silence and requiring players to question what's going on they have been completely open and honest, providing updates on the situation. We automatically receive the updates via email. Here's an example I received yesterday:
https://www.kickstarter.com/proj ... cker_project_update

As you'll notice, there's not a single comment of hate in the comments section. The customers appreciate the updates and even provide support to the company. This is what proper communication is about. This is the same strategy my company uses when a bug is found, or if a deadline is missed -- honestly and proactive updates. I dislike having to hunt for info, and I also dislike the suggestion of having to purchase additional hardware (for example, go to BestBuy and buy an Android phone).

In the example above, they also offered free additional items as a gesture of good will. Nintendo offered free rubber covers for Wiimotes when people were cracking their TVs. Apple gave away free covers after the iPhone 4 antenaegate issue. Would be great if DJI offered a gesture of good will. Props guards? Maybe. Something intangible? Sure.

Just my Sunday morning thoughts...
2015-5-3
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I agree; communications have been poor.  
2015-5-3
Use props
Rothgarr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 470663 ft
United States

Yup, exactly.

Stuff happens. Take inventory of the situation and proactively update your customers. It's what good companies do.
2015-5-3
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

DJI absolutely should offer something to soften the inconvenience for anyone buying a P3 before iOS being available.

It could simply be a voucher/rebate (e.g. 50% off) for an extra battery. Something they won't even lose money on because they have a massive profit something like batteries and they would teach people to use their Online Store.

One caveat of offering 50% off a battery might be the inherent joke that they (also) can't deliver batteries yet... ;-)  However, I still think people would be highly appreciative and something like an extra battery is something everybody would benefit from.
2015-5-4
Use props
gcmini
lvl.1

United States

Well said.  
I LOVE dji products.  I go pretty far back with them, I fly a Flamewheel with Naza controller (yes, a kit you had to build yourself ... old school) and I've never had a single problem with it.  I've finally stepped into the 21st century and I have a Phantom 3 Pro sitting on my desk collecting dust as I wait for the iOS app.   I went thought the firmware update nonsense last night ,, they released an update with the wrong file names, took it off line then put it back online ... all with no explanation about what was going on... meanwhile people were a half hour or more into a firmware update that was never going to finish (and was supposed to take less than 25 minutes) not having any idea what was going on and not having any idea what would happen if they just bailed out of the update.

This has been the worst new product roll out I have ever seen and the response from dji has been even worse (or non-existent).    As I say, I love their stuff and I'm sure I'll love this P3 some day ... but for now I'm just shaking my head wondering how else they could possibly screw up this product launch.

My faith in dji is mildly shaken ... but I'm going to hang in there.  I have a wedding to shoot in two weeks, I sure would love to know if the P3 will be airworthy by then ,,,, but there is always the old reliable Flamewheel with the GoPro I guess.
2015-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules