Newbie Needs to Know: How to Control Gimbal?
966 6 2015-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
garyw
lvl.1

Canada

Ok, so I bought this marvelous 'toy,' the Phantom 2 and I installed my GoPro Hero 3+ on the HD-3D gimbal.  For whatever reason, along the way, I've seen ZERO instructions on how to point the camera using the gimbal while in flight.  

I get it that there's a 'thumb wheel' on the upper left corner of the control module.  That moves the camera through less than 90 degrees of arc in one dimension, up and down.

But clearly this gimbal is designed to move more than that.  How do I control it?  Am I supposed to install some app to my iPad to control this?

Many thanks,

Gary
Calgary, Alberta  

2015-5-3
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

So the gimbal moves but not as much as it could.  Have you tried to calibrate the TX controls?  And when you did was the controller set to the right one and did you also calibrate the X1 channel (wheel).  If yes, and it still won't operate fully, try doing the calibration in this link without the quad being connected.  Then connect and do the cal using RC software then cal again using Assist software.

See if that helps.

2015-5-3
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I think what Gary is asking is why he cant control the other axis on the gimbal ?
Basically from straight ahead to looking down is what you get, no other adjustment can be made.
The other axis on the gimbal are for stabilisation and are controlled by the flight computer.
2015-5-3
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Gary,

Make sure you have the "FPV Mode" turned off in the settings of the DJI Vision App. If it's on the camera will move as the bird does, if it's off the will keep itself level to the world. Just thought I should throw that out there before you started recalibrating everything. Also, you cannot move the camera side to side.

Jerry  
2015-5-3
Use props
garyw
lvl.1

Canada

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-5-3 23:32
I think what Gary is asking is why he cant control the other axis on the gimbal ?
Basically from str ...

Good, I think this is the information I needed.  I guess I was under the impression you could somehow from the ground rotate the gimbal through a substantial range on both horizontal and vertical axes.  You're saying all I can do is use the thumb-wheel control to control the vertical....and then I 'point' the camera in whatever horizontal azimuth direction I want by rotating the entire quad-copter.  I really appreciate knowing that I'm not missing out on control.

However!  I think something is still wrong here.  I can only rotate the gimbal/camera through quite a limited range on the vertical axis.  It won't point straight down (90 degrees) and it won't point straight horizontal (0 degrees).  

The maximum range seems to be from about 30 degrees to 60 degrees (measured from horizontal).  Your comment leads me to believe I should expect 90 degrees up to 0 degrees.  This is just what I see when I bench-test it.  I haven't tried rotating it during flight.  

Is something wrong with my gimbal, or perhaps is this a calibration I need to adjust.

Thanks for everyone's helpful input.

Gary

2015-5-3
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

garyw@thepauker Posted at 2015-5-4 03:14
Good, I think this is the information I needed.  I guess I was under the impression you could some ...

Gary,

Now try what Nrgwise said to try.

Jerry
2015-5-3
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460751 ft
United States

After switching to NAZA mode my camera moved with a jerk and didn't have full travel. Gerry showed me this and it worked great. Try this (follow this link to thread)
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=13345
2015-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules