3697 13 2018-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SeanB1989
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12536 ft
United Kingdom

Hi guys,
I am still yet to take the new toy outside to play until I sort out some insurance for it. I phoned my home insurance provider (directline) and they confirmed they do not cover drones on my policy so I need a standalone policy.

After reading the forums, I like the look of Photoguard who seem reasonably cheap and cover accidental damage. My question is, as I am not using it for commercial use, do I really need public liability? I don't really want to pay for something I don't need, no matter how trivial the cost in comparison to the drone itself. I'm more worried about covering accidental damage if I lose or crash it. I assume public liability covers you if you smash it in somebody's face?

Any advice would be much appreciated. It needs to be available in the UK - I am UK based, just can't figure out how to change my location on my profile.

Sean
2018-2-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Public liability covers damage caused by your drone to any third party property or bodily injury. Some model aircraft fields make having it mandatory - typical cover needs to be £5,000,000 - if your drone malfunctioned and landed through someone’s roof, bonnet of their Rolls Royce or indeed head you will be liable. It will only be a matter of time until the government make it a legal requirement in the UK too and does give added peace of mind. I got my £5m of cover for recreational use by joining FPV UK. £19.99 a year for European wide membership - can’t complain! As for accidental damage to the drone caused by pilot error - DJI care refresh covers that.
2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Everyone has their own risk acceptance, I'm with A CW personally. I can handle an total loss of the drone. How unlikely it is hitting someone in the head, if it does without a liability Insurance you have a good chance you'll end up going backrupt.
2018-2-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-27 05:44
Everyone has their own risk acceptance, I'm with A CW personally. I can handle an total loss of the drone. How unlikely it is hitting someone in the head, if it does without a liability Insurance you have a good chance you'll end up going backrupt.

Agreed - I've never had to show my cert to anyone and never lost a prop to date (touch wood) but it's good to know that I'm covered for absolute worst case scenarios.
2018-2-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sean, from DJI side, I recommend that you can purchase DJI Care Refresh for the drone. DJI Care Refresh is a service plan that provides you with peace of mind, covering damage to your DJI product. DJI Care Refresh is valid for 12 months and offers up to two full replacements at an additional charge if accidental damage occurs to your product during normal use. Each time you request a replacement, you’ll receive a replacement unit that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability. If more info needed, please visit: https://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#s1
2018-2-28
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-28 00:52
Sean, from DJI side, I recommend that you can purchase DJI Care Refresh for the drone. DJI Care Refresh is a service plan that provides you with peace of mind, covering damage to your DJI product. DJI Care Refresh is valid for 12 months and offers up to two full replacements at an additional charge if accidental damage occurs to your product during normal use. Each time you request a replacement, you’ll receive a replacement unit that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability. If more info needed, please visit: https://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#s1

Thor - this thread is about liability insurance. DJI Care Refresh won't help in that case I'm afraid.
2018-2-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-2-28 11:33
Thor - this thread is about liability insurance. DJI Care Refresh won't help in that case I'm afraid.

The OP is actually looking for accidental damage cover for his drone: -

"I'm more worried about covering accidental damage if I lose or crash it."

That is what care fresh ultimately covers...
2018-2-28
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

A CW Posted at 2018-2-28 11:37
The OP is actually looking for accidental damage cover for his drone: -

"I'm more worried about covering accidental damage if I lose or crash it."

I understand but he was also asking:
"My question is, as I am not using it for commercial use, do I really need public liability"

'Public liability' aka General/Third Party Liability is something that some countries require insurance for.
For example in Germany a special General Liability insurance based on the 'Air Traffic Order' is required - for every drone above 250g.

I ended up in this thread since I'm wondering what the requirements are for hobbypilots in the US.
Besides FAA registration: Is liability insurance required?

2018-2-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-2-28 11:49
"My question is, as I am not using it for commercial use, do I really need public liability"

I'm aware of that mate - as I have public liability insurance (as I stated in my first reply to the OP).

The OP is actually stating that he doesn't see the need in public liability but specifically wants accidental damage for his drone - hence why DJI Thor's reply is very relevant.

If you read all of the OP's post you will see that he lives in the UK (as do I) - I have no idea about insurance requirements in other countries.
2018-2-28
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Odd your Forum ID says you are US Based? Did you purchase & activate the drone in the US?
2018-2-28
Use props
SeanB1989
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12536 ft
United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-2-28 12:08
Odd your Forum ID says you are US Based? Did you purchase & activate the drone in the US?

No, all set up here in the UK, don't remember getting the option to select my location either. Can't work out how to change it
2018-3-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SeanB1989 Posted at 2018-3-1 09:55
No, all set up here in the UK, don't remember getting the option to select my location either. Can't work out how to change it

That is odd! Is your mobile location set to UK?
2018-3-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-2-28 11:49

Only if you fly commercially, most home owners policies will cover liability if you take off from your property, depends on the limits of the HO Policy.
2018-3-1
Use props
jscot
lvl.1

Belgium

spell missing

Hey, I've been running for the same company for a few years now. I've talked with another company about working for them instead. They are asking that I buy a 100k cargo liability insurance policy with them as beneficiaries. The current company I'm driving, for now, covers https://generalliabilityinsure.com/ this for me. Is this an expense that I should cover to work at the new place or should they be paying that? I put in a call to my insurance agent to get a quote. What is the normal cost?
2021-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules