Ipad mini compatibility-why is original not compatible?
8507 10 2018-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
Flight distance : 452835 ft
United States

According to DJI Go 4 app you have to have IOS 9.0 or later. The original ipad mini uses IOS 9.3.5. Why are we unable to use original ipad mini. It works on the DJI Go app? Just curious if there is some sort of hardware limitation of the ipad mini that makes it unusable? Maybe a  DJI rep can elaborate on this and why it would function on DJI Go app and able to operate the OSMO, inspire 1, some Phantoms but not DJI Go 4 app and Phantom 4, or Mavic.  What is the reason for differences in ability? Any help or insight would be great. I'd like to be able to use it with my mavic and osmo.
2018-2-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, theoretically, the first generation of the iPad mini is not compatible with both DJI GO and DJI GO 4, our engineers had fully tested it and confirmed that it couldn't work with parts of the functions of the apps. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2018-2-27
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

The processor chip is not powerful enough to handle the data flow.
2018-2-28
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

The main reason is Apple stops supporting their old software with updates and then other companies only support software/apps on current operating systems as they are more stable and supported
2018-2-28
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
United States

Locoman Posted at 2018-2-28 02:10
The processor chip is not powerful enough to handle the data flow.

To handle the data flow of the DJI GO 4 app or the Mavic? I downloaded Litchi last night and it works for the Mavic on my original Ipad mini, so I think it's a app optimization issue on DJI's part. Which is weird, if one company can do it you would think the company that builds the drones could get it to work, but it is DJI, they do a lot of things that leave me scratching my head.
2018-2-28
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
United States

Steeevo Posted at 2018-2-28 03:14
The main reason is Apple stops supporting their old software with updates and then other companies only support software/apps on current operating systems as they are more stable and supported

I downloaded Litchi and it works for the Mavic with the original iPad mini. Just weird it wouldn't with DJI's on product. I haven't done extensive testing yet to check stability issues. Maybe after I fully test it I will make a post with the results, unless someone has done that already. I got this iPad mini from a friend that didn't think it could be used for his Mavic, so he gave it to me and bought a iPad mini 4 to use. I figured it's worth a shot to try and if it works it would be nice to have as a back up or another option if I don't want to use my crystal sky or bigger iPad.
2018-2-28
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2018-2-28 09:32
I downloaded Litchi and it works for the Mavic with the original iPad mini. Just weird it wouldn't with DJI's on product. I haven't done extensive testing yet to check stability issues. Maybe after I fully test it I will make a post with the results, unless someone has done that already. I got this iPad mini from a friend that didn't think it could be used for his Mavic, so he gave it to me and bought a iPad mini 4 to use. I figured it's worth a shot to try and if it works it would be nice to have as a back up or another option if I don't want to use my crystal sky or bigger iPad.

Dji is tucked up under Tim cooks skirt so it stands to reason that support is dropped for older devices so that you will upgrade, to a new, more expensive device....why else would a 3rd party app like litchi work fine and dji go, not so much. Because developers at litchi aren’t in bed with apple....
2018-2-28
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-2-28 09:41
Dji is tucked up under Tim cooks skirt so it stands to reason that support is dropped for older devices so that you will upgrade, to a new, more expensive device....why else would a 3rd party app like litchi work fine and dji go, not so much. Because developers at litchi aren’t in bed with apple....

That's kind of what I was thinking. Kind of the same reason that iOS works great and Android not so much
2018-2-28
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2018-2-28 10:40
That's kind of what I was thinking. Kind of the same reason that iOS works great and Android not so much

Exactly.....
2018-3-1
Use props
MissJannie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 148225 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just purchased the iPad mini and it is running IOS10.3.3.  Still says not compatible.....
2018-11-13
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

MissJannie Posted at 11-13 13:55
I just purchased the iPad mini and it is running IOS10.3.3.  Still says not compatible.....

iPad mini 1? Ofcourse it’s not compatible. It’s very old and not powerful enough, in this case it has nothing to do with the iOS operating system.

Flysafely
Alex
2018-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules