Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
GPS / Metadata
14101 15 2018-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

Hey All,

How do I enable the GPS / Metadata for each of my photos ?
Is this even possible ? I've looked around on the RC and do not see
how to turn it on.
I'm flying the P4P+
Thanks.

2018-2-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

As far as I am aware, you don't need to. All you need to do is install an EXIF reader on your computer to read the information that is already there.
2018-2-27
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-27 14:10
As far as I am aware, you don't need to. All you need to do is install an EXIF reader on your computer to read the information that is already there.

Thanks Geebax,

I'm flying missions for Eagleview at Dronebase. They want that info on each photo for insurance claims.
Maybe they have that on their computer. They approved the P4P+ and should know the limitations.
I'll get an EXIF reader for my machine.

2018-2-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

JamesWhenman Posted at 2018-2-27 14:37
Thanks Geebax,

I'm flying missions for Eagleview at Dronebase. They want that info on each photo for insurance claims.

I use the Opanda reader, works quite well.
2018-2-27
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-27 14:40
I use the Opanda reader, works quite well.

I just went to the properties tab and GPS data is listed as I scrolled down.
I hope that is where they will look for it.

The Chrome extension is not much help. Thanks for the
tip on Opanda.
2018-2-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JamesWhenman Posted at 2018-2-27 14:46
I just went to the properties tab and GPS data is listed as I scrolled down.
I hope that is where they will look for it.

Try turning on 'Video Caption' in camera settings. If I remember correctly that records various bits of data in a .srt file associated with the image. I'm just working from memory here, but it may be possible, and I remember the .srt file can be edited to change displayed data.

Edit:- I believe this only works on video where you can view the .srt file as a sub-title on video.
2018-2-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi James, enable the Video Caption, you can find the GPS info in the picture. The .srt file has been canceled in P4A/P4P, you can tick the type in the player.
2018-2-27
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Shouldn't you be able to  Right mouse click on the file,  then at the top click details, and all your Meta Data is in there........Which means the Meta data IS attached to the photo.

2018-4-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-4-26 14:29
Shouldn't you be able to  Right mouse click on the file,  then at the top click details, and all your Meta Data is in there........Which means the Meta data IS attached to the photo.

Yes it does, theres also https://www.thexifer.net/ can edit it there too, just drag and drop the file and then click the button when its done
2018-4-26
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-27 15:42
Try turning on 'Video Caption' in camera settings. If I remember correctly that records various bits of data in a .srt file associated with the image. I'm just working from memory here, but it may be possible, and I remember the .srt file can be edited to change displayed data.

Edit:- I believe this only works on video where you can view the .srt file as a sub-title on video.

On the P4P and i guess P4A, the information wold be embedded in the video. Now wish i had done some more test of this long time ago as this information would had been nice to have in all my recordings and from other threads it just sounded like the P4P was not able to record this info but apparently it only counted the .srt file.

The information is recorded in the Normal video file, there is nothing  in the low res proxy also recorded on the SD. I have not tried activate  the Cache files recorded on the device so i can't tell if it would be there too but i would doubt it.*

I was not able to get any of the windows software to display the info, tried "Films & TV", "Windows Media Player" and "Photos", the latter is the one who plays the 4K movies best on my laptop.
VLC was able to show the information, it would be nice if also the information of date/time and the gimbal direction/tilt was present. For the date/time part the EXIF of creation/last modfied field can be used, guess for the gimbal only the flight logs contain that information. I think the altitude is relative to sea level, not the take off altitude, will check up on that part later.*

For the ones who find this thread later, this is the setting to set active for having the info recorded:

Video captions toggle in the camera settings

Video captions toggle in the camera settings

And this is how it would look when played in VLC Media Player after activation of Subtitle / Sub Track:

VLC Playing .mp4 with captions enabled

VLC Playing .mp4 with captions enabled

Edit
: i have now realized that the altitude shown in the captions are relative to takeoff height and not sealevel as i first thought, this would be opposite to the exif data in photos that always show altitude as relative to sealevel.

Showing height relaive to takeoff, acutal height above sea here would be just above 20 meters

Showing height relaive to takeoff, acutal height above sea here would be just above 20 meters

Tested the cache files recorded on device, as expected they don't contain the captions and no .srt files created either.

2018-4-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-27 02:22
On the P4P and i guess P4A, the information wold be embedded in the video. Now wish i had done some more test of this long time ago as this information would had been nice to have in all my recordings and from other threads it just sounded like the P4P was not able to record this info but apparently it only counted the .srt file.

The information is recorded in the Normal video file, there is nothing  in the low res proxy also recorded on the SD. I have not tried activate  the Cache files recorded on the device so i can't tell if it would be  there too but i would doubt it.

I can also use the Microsoft App' 'Films & TV' to playback the video captions using the .srt file. When running video there is an option at bottom left of screen to open menu for subtitles and audio, which allows the selection of the appropriate .srt file (if activated in DJI Go 4).
2018-4-27
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Aardvark Posted at 2018-4-27 02:48
I can also use the Microsoft App' 'Films & TV' to playback the video captions using the .srt file. When running video there is an option at bottom left of screen to open menu for subtitles and audio, which allows the selection of the appropriate .srt file (if activated in DJI Go 4).

Yes but it seem that it don't support the captions when embedded into the movie file and we (P4P/A) get no .srt, i did try several times without luck, only VLC of the four mentioned above show the information.
Guess now i have to check on my edit computer if i have something that can extract the information to a .srt or other subtitle format file.
2018-4-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-27 02:57
Yes but it seem that it don't support the captions when embedded into the movie file and we (P4P/A) get no .srt, i did try several times without luck, only VLC of the four mentioned above show the information.
Guess now i have to check on my edit computer if i have something that can extract the information to a .srt or other subtitle format file.

The OP was asking (2 months ago): How do I enable the GPS / Metadata for each of my photos ?
He wasn't asking about videos.

For anyone also wondering, every still has the GPS location embedded in the exif info that is part of each image file.
There is no need to adjust any settings.
2018-4-27
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Labroides Posted at 2018-4-27 03:37
The OP was asking (2 months ago): How do I enable the GPS / Metadata for each of my photos ?
He wasn't asking about videos.

Yes and now when the thread has been wakened up again it has been updated with further info in reply to some of the information posted for people who might run in to it,
Do you mind? - if so, why?
2018-4-27
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4

Thanks to All who have responded and brought more value to the original question.
2018-4-27
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Aardvark Posted at 2018-4-27 02:48

@James / OP: Thank you i hope you don't mind keeping it living a little longer.

@Aardvark: i did a few updates on the post at #10, tested some more and realized that altitude in the captions would be relative to takeoff altitude, this is different from the EXIF data in the pictures that show the altitude relative to sea level, do you know how the .srt files contain this information?

Also i wan't to ask if the .srt files would include the messages shown in the app during flight, like the "Strong Wind Warnings", "Week GPS signal", "Strong Interference" etc.? This has been my understanding from the reading in other threads/posts but it seem that i only get information as displayed in the screenshots from the embedded captions.
2018-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules