Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does the spark connect like the air
681 12 2018-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mdsniper7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8340 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm looking at both these drones and I need one that can take shots and follow while horseback riding. I need to know does the spark connect like the air to the controller or no. I'm hearing mixed things as I know you plug your phone into the air control and it's done but with the spark I hear it can't work like that and is more phone Wi-Fi to controller. Is this true.
2018-2-27
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, that's correct. I have seen quite a few posts of Spark users connecting via an OTG cable although this is not supported by DJI. I've never used an OTG cable with my Spark, and never had a connection issue. Best to put your phone into Airline mode with only Wifi enabled during your flight though.
2018-2-27
Use props
mdsniper7
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

forbsie Posted at 2018-2-27 20:57
Yes, that's correct. I have seen quite a few posts of Spark users connecting via an OTG cable although this is not supported by DJI. I've never used an OTG cable with my Spark, and never had a connection issue. Best to put your phone into Airline mode with only Wifi enabled during your flight though.

I was looking at connecting my iPad to it would that work. So the range will be bad since u have to Wi-Fi to the controller
2018-2-27
Use props
ZarcTheSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 460676 ft
United States

It is the controller (RC) to AC link that determines the range, not the connection between the phone/iPad and the controller, in general.

In Europe, they have a lower power output on the controller, and maybe cannot use 5.8 GHz wifi (not sure about that though), so the cable connection is preferred, so that all the 2.4GHz wifi bandwidth can be used for the RC to AC link.  
I think here in the U.S. the phone connects to the controller on one band (2.4 GHz for example), and the AC connects to the controller on the other band (5.8 GHz for example).

Someone correct me if I am wrong...
2018-2-27
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

mdsniper7 Posted at 2018-2-27 21:07
I was looking at connecting my iPad to it would that work. So the range will be bad since u have to Wi-Fi to the controller

Yes certainly an iPad will work, I use both an iPhone and iPad Mini. Wifi to the controller will not have any effect on the range
2018-2-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sorry that spark do not support usb or OTG cable now. And mavic air can support usb cable to connect phone with controller. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI doesn't support OTG cable for the Spark, and it was disabled in an earlier firmware. I like the fact you can charge the Spark from its rear Micro USB connection with a cable. Both the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro you cannot charge the drone directly from its Micro USB, and with the Air having USB Type C that really is a drag. My experience with the Spark WiFi is that it serves me just fine and I was able to 10,000 feet range test without much static interference. See for yourself:

2018-2-28
Use props
mdsniper7
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-28 08:02
DJI doesn't support OTG cable for the Spark, and it was disabled in an earlier firmware. I like the fact you can charge the Spark from its rear Micro USB connection with a cable. Both the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro you cannot charge the drone directly from its Micro USB, and with the Air having USB Type C that really is a drag. My experience with the Spark WiFi is that it serves me just fine and I was able to 10,000 feet range test without much static interference. See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8VkiY2nlic

Awesome however I heard the air has more range which would mean it's because they have a direct connection correct. That's why spark users use to do it right?
2018-2-28
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

It looks like in your profile you already own both?
2018-2-28
Use props
Avian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89301 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Just for clarity?
The Air can stil connect your phone to remote with WiFi? It doesn't have to be cable connection right?
2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

mdsniper7 Posted at 2018-2-28 08:35
Awesome however I heard the air has more range which would mean it's because they have a direct connection correct. That's why spark users use to do it right?

Again, I really don't think it matters all that much that the Air has more frequency in its body and Remote. At the end of the day, If the Ocusync technology is stronger than WiFi and it breaks up at slightly more further you fly then no OTG cable using WiFi, in my opinion, will make a difference. Just my two cents, only because I've gotten my Spark 10,000 feet and the transmission was somewhat reliable.
2018-2-28
Use props
rockmsu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90804 ft
United States

Not sure I understand the point of traveling 10,000 feet with this guy. I always keep it in sight. If there’s somewhere 10,000 feet away that I want to fly my Spark over I’ll drive there and launch it there.
2018-2-28
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

mdsniper7 Posted at 2018-2-28 08:35

The air has better range more because of the better antenna design than whether an OTG cable is used. I found that using the OTG cable made the video a little more stable. The big issue for some non FCC countries is that the 5GHz range isn't supposed to work on some frequencies that the Spark attempts to use. Some users phones would disconnect when one of these frequencies was auto selected. The latest firmware allows manually setting the frequency and it seems to hold that frequency when restarting.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I got tired of using the OTG cable with the Spark. The programmable buttons don't remember their settings when using OTG and you need to plug and unplug it sometimes to make it work. The Mavic Air's OTG connection is better designed (like the Mavic Pro's). The connection wire is tucked away neatly.
2018-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules