DJI, help me buy your product
2774 18 2014-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tpallred
lvl.1

United States

Dear DJI,
I've really been wanting your P2V+ product since I discovered it in July.  Your marketing tagline of "Your Flying Camera" really hooked me.  I restrained my impluse to immediately slap down the plastic in order to do some basic research first.  I'm a consumer and not a hobbyist and after reading books, forums and vendor literature I still think the P2V+ is what I want.  Please help me to make this purchase by fixing the GPS and battery problems detailed here and in other forums for some time.  Until, and if, I see DJI stepping up to the plate on these issues, I can't justify spending $1200 on something that doesn't work as advertised and/or requires the consumer to make mods out of the box.
Thanks
2014-10-29
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

My V+ bought in July is working perfectly, but if you can't justify spending the money, then don't do it.
Although as you have gone as far as making an account on the DJI forum, you might as well take the next step and buy one of their products..
2014-10-29
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

tpallred glad to see you did some groundwork before purchasing a PV2+,   just remember that forums are full of unhappy customers venting about issues and i am one of them  but the Phantom is great fun  and i will admit that Dji are not the best when it comes to customer support  but they have a forum for folks to say what they like , whether they take any notice is another thing as for as the gps drop out sinario it seems not . .
If you do take the plunge and buy one try and get it from  your local  shop and when purchasing make sure they are will to fix any issues that may arrise and not fob you off  as a lot of shops seem to do .
Also it might be worth waiting a few months to see if the introduce a new model , but remember that Dji are not the only company who make quadcopters  have a look at the Walkera Talli its a hexcopter with a great transmitter  but i have not had a look on the net  so it might have a few issues as well .
2014-10-29
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

I am one who is in the research phase of learning which drone I wish to purchase.  I believe I will be buying a PV2+ in the near future but I have a couple more things to check out before I do. Yes, people do vent here and I find some of the whining about some of the issues is just that...whining.  When I do get a drone I suspect I'll have an issue or two...afterall these are very complex machines and I am not an expert at all.  That being said, I believe DJI has the best product on the market.
2014-10-29
Use props
tpallred
lvl.1

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-29 21:58
My V+ bought in July is working perfectly, but if you can't justify spending the money, then don't d ...

, Always good to hear about phantoms working great.  There are obviously the problems DJI knows about with the GPS's dropping satellites and losing lock while recording, and batteries supposedly good for 300 cycles unexpctedly early-autolanding after 20-30 cycles.  Maybe the latest updates with help with the batteries, we'll see.  Don't understand the logic of "might as well buy one" just because I regestered at DJI's site though.  In that case I might as well buy the Align 480/690 and the Walkera Tali H500/Scout X4.  
2014-10-30
Use props
tpallred
lvl.1

United States

Dragonrider Posted at 2014-10-30 09:50
I am one who is in the research phase of learning which drone I wish to purchase.  I believe I will  ...

So, expecting a product to work as advertised is whining when it doesn't?  You're the perfect customer!  Send in your money today and if your phantom is too unstable for video because it has dropped its satellites, or you're spending 10 times what you should on batteries that cause your bird to unexpectedly early-autoland into a lake or some some woods, you can just buy more!  You're exactly the kind of customer DJU is looking for!
2014-10-30
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

All I can add as an owner is my V+ has never been modified, none of my 3 batteries have problems and GPS always works fine.
So I don't have any experience of the obvious problems you speak of in your statement "something that doesn't work as advertised and/or requires the consumer to make mods out of the box."

I do question why make an account to post on here when you have no personal experience of owning one and just post stuff that you have read else ware.

Anyway, I hope you make a decision soon as it really is a superb hobby and you are missing out on all the fun....
2014-10-30
Use props
tpallred
lvl.1

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-31 03:10
All I can add as an owner is my V+ has never been modified, none of my 3 batteries have problems and ...

I didn't make an account to post here as the forum was not active when I created the account.  I created the account to help in my research.  BTW, reading stuff elsewhere is also called research.  Taking advantage of the experience and knowledge of people who do have the product.  When I see multiple owners (newbies and veterans) on multiple forums having common problems, I don't ignore it.  When DJI tells owners it's okay to open the phantom and reroute the GPS cable to try and fix that problem, an action that previously would have voided their warranty, obviously they realize there is a problem also.  As I said, it's great that you haven't had any problems but that doesn't negate the experience of other people.  I want to get the P2V+ but DJI has created a poor reputation of customer service and fixing known issues.  Maybe they are getting better at that.  I certainly hope so.  But I don't mind waiting a little to find out.  Especially not with Walkera releasing the Scout X4 and Align releasing the 480.  No need to rush.
2014-10-30
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

The fact remains that you personally have had NO experience of any "poor service or known problems."
Yet you keep banging on about it.
I think the V+ is too good for you, good luck with your new Align
2014-10-30
Use props
tpallred
lvl.1

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-31 09:03
The fact remains that you personally have had NO experience of any "poor service or known problems." ...

You have a very unusual way of thinking.  Enjoy the little car you are pictured in.  
2014-10-30
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

That photo was taken In 1965, and yes its true, bad boys drive a Jaguar.
Anyway, I wish you good luck in your continuing research.
2014-10-31
Use props
brian.langley
lvl.1
United States

I wish I had been like the OP and done a little more research (not that I didn't do any).

I purchased, experienced the GPS issues first hand with the P2V+ and have just returned for a refund.

2014-10-31
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

tpallred Posted at 2014-10-31 02:57
So, expecting a product to work as advertised is whining when it doesn't?  You're the perfect cust ...

And so why have you not moved on to whatever is "better" in your mind?  I am sorry you have had a bad experience (excuse me, you have not had a bad experience you don't even own one but feel like whinning) but I am not sure what you are looking for.....
2014-10-31
Use props
djstansel
New

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-31 09:03
The fact remains that you personally have had NO experience of any "poor service or known problems." ...

Yes it is a big step for a hobbiest.  Myself is the same.  bought it and flew right out of the box after charging.
All worked well.  On my second attempt my samsung note 3 kept turning the wifi off.  Sent email to DJI and they responded with the fix.  Next time got video and so far happy.
2014-10-31
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

While many years ago I had RC cars and boats this was my first flying machine, bought as a ready to go flying camera to enhance my interest in amateur photography.
Bought the V+ as it was everything I wanted in one package, no messing about on the kitchen table with a soldering iron or any assembly needed.
And I have been very impressed with the results.

2014-10-31
Use props
tpallred
lvl.1

United States

Dragonrider Posted at 2014-11-1 04:41
And so why have you not moved on to whatever is "better" in your mind?  I am sorry you have had a b ...

If you don't "know what I'm looking for" then reread the original post.  I'm saying that I like the marketing promise of the P2V+ but want DJI to actually provide that by dealing with a couple of recurring problem themes detailed in this and other forums.  Rather then tell buyers to make a mod to the GPS to make it work correctly, why not correct the problem at the factory before sending them out?  Most people expect things to work as advertised.  If you prefer the adventure of buying stuff that may or may not work correctly then move on and enjoy the ride!  
2014-11-1
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

tpallred Posted at 2014-11-2 08:30
If you don't "know what I'm looking for" then reread the original post.  I'm saying that I like th ...

I cannot disagree with what you are saying.  A product, no matter what kind of product it is, should work as advertised.  I ride a motorcycle and belong to a forum for that particular bike.  There has been a lot of discussion regarding a clutch problem that the manufacturer has not and most likely will not deal with.  There is a "fix" that we riders have found and share. My bike is fixed and I have helped others fix theirs.  We as a group continue to deal with the manufacturer and are still trying to get them to resolve the issue.  So I do understand what you are saying. I do believe DJI is working to improve their product and I also believe they are working to do that. They are listening to us and I have seen improvements already. Their customer service for one has vastly improved.  I just placed my order last night for a Phantom Vision 2++.  I wish you the best in your endeavors and please if you took offense at my "whining" comment I truly appologise.  I should have not responded to you that way.  Please forgive me for my stupid comments.
2014-11-2
Use props
tpallred
lvl.1

United States

Dragonrider Posted at 2014-11-3 09:35
I cannot disagree with what you are saying.  A product, no matter what kind of product it is, shou ...

It's all good.  As you can see from my original post I WANT to buy a P2V+ as well because I think they are the best in their niche.  I just keep hoping to avoid buying into a problem cycle.  At first it was the flyaways that made me hold off but after a lot of reading it seems like you can mitigate MOST of that probability by being a careful, well informed flyer.  Was about to take the plunge again when I learned about the magnetic declination problem (I'm in a mid-high problem area) and held off for the 3.4 update to fix that.  When that update came out there were a couple of hitches so I waited for those to go away.  They did, so I'm about to buy again when the GPS problems start showing up everywhere.  People come up with fixes that solve that problem for MOST people so I'm ready to order again, but then the early autoland battery problems crop up, dropping people's crafts into lakes, trees, whatever, with no KNOWN/STATED reason and no fix other than buy more very expensive batteries and HOPE they won't have the problem.  So, still wanting (a working version) of their product I make this pretty mild post saying I like the product and asking them to please do more to fix these issues so I can feel confident that I'm not making a mistake getting one.  Then they release this latest update, which may/may not fix the battery issue and they handle the rollout very poorly and introduce new problems for people.  I didn't even bring up the fact that the gimbal is so fragile that even landings that are slightly rough can make it pop out, costing half your investment to repair.  I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship where I'm trying to like someone and they just won't stop hitting me, because even with everything I've said, I still want one.    I'm not a bomb thrower and I'm not calling DJI names - like some in this and other forums.  See the latest thread about "AVOIDING LAWSUITS" for example.  Because this product operates out of my grasp and out of my direct control (in most failures) I would just like it if DJI could do a little more/better testing, quality control, and customer service so people can be more confident that they won't lose their product or have it fall out of the air on top of someone.

Okay, I'm completely done.  It's good to hear from people who haven't had any problems with their birds, and I wish you the best of luck and happy flying with yours.  Hopefully I'll join you soon.  I hate missing out on the fun!  
2014-11-2
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

My policy is to not be the first person on the block when it comes to updates.  A year ago I replaced my PC running Win97 with a MacBook Pro because it was the best product that had the horsepower to handle the editing my GoPro videos in a reasonable amount of time.  So I think I would have been late to the table with the updates and therefore still flying until it get's worked out.  Take the leap and come out flying sometime soon.  Me, as soon as my bird gets here I'll be taking it slow but I'll be out there....flying!
2014-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules