FAA Registration
847 15 2018-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DeFuanz
lvl.2
United States

Just finished my drone registration for the FAA today, definitly not as cheap as i expected lol. But rather pay now than risk a fine so im not complaining. anyone have any back story as to why they brought this law back? (USA)
2018-2-28
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

If you paid more than $5 you got ripped of by the false site.
2018-2-28
Use props
DeFuanz
lvl.2
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-2-28 16:54
If you paid more than $5 you got ripped of by the false site.

Where did you register at? mine was at FAA.gov
2018-2-28
Use props
DeFuanz
lvl.2
United States

Also, I paid just the 5 dollars, and i have the receipt they sent me as well. However i did also order (from the same website) the ID and 2 labels so i wouldn't have to sketch the number into the side of my drone. But the total charge was around 90 dollars for all that. I emailed them because i know that the ID and 2 labels didn't cost that much. Any idea what it was added on to?
2018-2-28
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

90 dollars? That'a crazy. You definitely want to find out what's going on.
2018-2-28
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

DeFuanz Posted at 2018-2-28 17:20
Also, I paid just the 5 dollars, and i have the receipt they sent me as well. However i did also order (from the same website) the ID and 2 labels so i wouldn't have to sketch the number into the side of my drone. But the total charge was around 90 dollars for all that. I emailed them because i know that the ID and 2 labels didn't cost that much. Any idea what it was added on to?

Something is definitely wrong.   The FAA only charges $5 for part 336 (recreational) registration,  and $5 per drone for part 107 (commercial) registration

I just did a quick google, and the actual FAA site was waaay down on the list.   A bunch of other "FAADroneRegistration" sites popped up at the top of the list.

The actual FAA website is:  https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/home

You need to check to see if the website you used actually did register you with the FAA.  I'm guessing not, as you have to create an account with a password at the FAA site in order to register.   

Sid
2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you really need to ask the FAA what they were thinking on that question?
2018-2-28
Use props
DeFuanz
lvl.2
United States

sidtx Posted at 2018-2-28 18:47
Something is definitely wrong.   The FAA only charges $5 for part 336 (recreational) registration,  and $5 per drone for part 107 (commercial) registration

I just did a quick google, and the actual FAA site was waaay down on the list.   A bunch of other "FAADroneRegistration" sites popped up at the top of the list.

thats definitely the website i used. I understand my charges for the ID and the labels but it was added into something else. Hopefully they email back
2018-2-28
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

So I just logged in to the official FAA site, I didn't see anywhere that they offer additional items for sale, only drone registration.
2018-2-28
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-2-28 18:56
So I just logged in to the official FAA site, I didn't see anywhere that they offer additional items for sale, only drone registration.

Same here.   I logged into my account at the FAA.gov website to update my address.

No where on the site is any offer for anything other than the $5 drone registration.

The only options seem to be a choice of Part 107 or Part 336.   Nothing for IDs or labels.\

Sid
2018-2-28
Use props
DeFuanz
lvl.2
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-2-28 18:56
So I just logged in to the official FAA site, I didn't see anywhere that they offer additional items for sale, only drone registration.

same, it was when i was checking out though i believe
2018-2-28
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
United States

For labels,  I think I ordered mine on Ebay for something like $15.   Got a bunch 20+ FAA number labels,  a bunch of "If found, please call  xxx-xxx-xxxx" labels,  and a bunch of "FAA Certified Aircraft" labels.

Sid
2018-2-28
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Well I guess you will get $90 worth of stickers, I used a $10 label maker from Office Depot, worked pretty good, some guys use a Sharpie Marker, but official looking tags will probably be pretty cool.
2018-2-28
Use props
DeFuanz
lvl.2
United States

Update: i found the problem. While i did register at the faa site, i apparently stumbled upon "drone-registration.net" and it looking the same continued onto that site. Dont know how i didnt catch it but currently trying to sort it out.
2018-2-28
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

That reminds of the pop up Amazon site, it claims you won $100 Amazon card, looks exactly like Amazon, and then it leads you down the evil trail.
Good luck getting it sorted, sites like that need to be exposed to the masses.
2018-2-28
Use props
DeFuanz
lvl.2
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-2-28 19:31
That reminds of the pop up Amazon site, it claims you won $100 Amazon card, looks exactly like Amazon, and then it leads you down the evil trail.
Good luck getting it sorted, sites like that need to be exposed to the masses.

Definitely, what got me was i was on the faa site and decided to register later and came back on the other site and just wasn't paying attention. Obviously a costly mistake but its a sunk cost now so no use crying over spilled milk. I just hope other people don't stumble upon it just because its at the top of the google search!
2018-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules