Interal fan rubbing? (Mavic Air)
3003 17 2018-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa18099c8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62 ft
Canada

Just recieved a new Mavic Air yesterday and noticed a grinding / rubbing sound from the fan when the drone is tilted to the side. Anyone else having this issue? Is it common / normal? It seems to get worse the longer it is on / the faster the fan goes.

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7fsubwpcch8oie/IMG_9476.MOV?dl=0

2018-2-28
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

This does not sound normal. I would recommend to send it in.
2018-2-28
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

It certainly sounds like there's something wrong!
2018-3-1
Use props
fansa18099c8
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I had a feeling this wasn't normal. I spoke with support about the issue and after them treating it like a software issue, they decided to set up a case for me to send it for repairs instead of replacing it with a new one. Considering the drone is only 2 days old and hasn't been taken for any flights, I was a little frustrated with this approach. I know it sounds a little snobbish but I didn't spend a grand to send it in for repairs. It will be returned instead. Maybe I'll wait for the new Mavic...
2018-3-1
Use props
MK
New
Germany

I'm not sure about the validity of the previous comments. The fan of my Spark, as well of my first and second Mavic Air grinds when rolling or nodding the drone. The intensity of the sound varies slightly from model to model, but is always present ... it would be nice if perhaps more users could comment on that.
2018-3-2
Use props
fansa18099c8
lvl.2
Canada

@MK Thanks for the reply! Yeah I too would like to see what others have to say. The first time I noticed it I knew exactly what it was and didn't think much of it until I found other forum posts where people had the same issue and DJI reps told them to send it in for repair.
2018-3-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This has been forwarded to our engineers for double check, we'll come back as long as there is an update.
2018-3-4
Use props
fansa18099c8
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-4 19:12
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This has been forwarded to our engineers for double check, we'll come back as long as there is an update.

Thank you for looking into this Susan
2018-3-4
Use props
Trehanek
New

Hong Kong

Can give the user replacement
2018-3-5
Use props
moritzdittgen
lvl.1
Germany

I also experienced this on my Mavic Air, so I issued a replacement.
The new device is slightly less intrusive, though the noise is still there, especially when tilting the drone.
The old one sometimes even emitted a screeching sound, haven't had that on the new one.
I find this noise incredibly annoying, even if you can only here it when it's in idle and not flying...

I had a spark previously, none of these effects on that one, just a fan breeze.
2018-3-6
Use props
fansa18099c8
lvl.2
Canada

Just an update... I ended up getting my hands on another Mavic Air to determine if this is, in fact, normal, and the new one does NOT make that noise at all. No matter what way I rotate the drone, there is no fan rubbing noise and it runs perfectly.
2018-3-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fansa18099c8 Posted at 2018-3-6 13:18
Just an update... I ended up getting my hands on another Mavic Air to determine if this is, in fact, normal, and the new one does NOT make that noise at all. No matter what way I rotate the drone, there is no fan rubbing noise and it runs perfectly.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I got the update from our engineers that they'd suggest sending the unit in as well.
2018-3-7
Use props
fansa18099c8
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-7 00:27
Thanks for keeping us updated. I got the update from our engineers that they'd suggest sending the unit in as well.

I'll have the drone sent in. Thanks for looking into this Susan, I appreciate it!
2018-3-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fansa18099c8 Posted at 2018-3-7 00:31
I'll have the drone sent in. Thanks for looking into this Susan, I appreciate it!

You are welcome. Feel free to contact us if there are any questions.
2018-3-7
Use props
MartinK7
lvl.1

Germany

My Mavic Air makes this sound:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wc4pu ... g%20fan%20.mp4?dl=0

Should I send it in for repair?

2018-3-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

MartinK7 Posted at 2018-3-7 06:55
My Mavic Air makes this sound:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wc4punzpg3nfme/DJI%20Mavic%20Air%20rubbing%20fan%20.mp4?dl=0

I've checked your video, it is normal, no need to send in.
2018-3-9
Use props
fansa66b0e44
New
Flight distance : 198579 ft

fansa18099c8 Posted at 2018-3-1 17:33
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I had a feeling this wasn't normal. I spoke with support about the issue and after them treating it like a software issue, they decided to set up a case for me to send it for repairs instead of replacing it with a new one. Considering the drone is only 2 days old and hasn't been taken for any flights, I was a little frustrated with this approach. I know it sounds a little snobbish but I didn't spend a grand to send it in for repairs. It will be returned instead. Maybe I'll wait for the new Mavic...

I just got Mavic Air and it's exactly the same symptom with you!
How did you handle this? Whom should I contact?
Please let me know detail about it.
2018-6-1
Use props
dfdy
lvl.1

My Mavic Air started doing this today. I'm quite sure it was not doing it previously, as I would have heard it during compass calibration (which requires a roll of the drone). I hear it during compass calibration now.
2019-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules