Single camera on dual mount
3040 14 2018-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_kKZwJ0J3Ce8V
lvl.2
Flight distance : 383825 ft
Canada

Hi . Just wondering does anyone know if Matrice 210 will be unbalanced if only mount one camera on the dual mount system.

Thanks
2018-3-1
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Unbalanced can be a possibility although not an insurmountable one. It is my opinion that you do not want to have your setup as such. Please consider the one camera mount instead.  
2018-3-1
Use props
PineBeetle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 383825 ft
Canada

DJI-Mark Posted at 2018-3-1 08:51
Unbalanced can be a possibility although not an insurmountable one. It is my opinion that you do not want to have your setup as such. Please consider the one camera mount instead.

Thanks that was kind of what I was thinking
2018-3-1
Use props
broadlandboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1654222 ft
United States

Works fine as one camera on duel gimbal for me
2018-3-1
Use props
YOYOMAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 676260 ft
Réunion

broadlandboy Posted at 2018-3-1 10:46
Works fine as one camera on duel gimbal for me

yes,
the M210 compensates easily the extra load unbalanced.
I do not recommand to switch from dual to single gimbal mount, because it is very very tricky to switch.

2018-3-2
Use props
dronie326
lvl.3
Flight distance : 810 ft
United States

As stated, no reason to switch mounts. Flies fine with single camera on dual mount.
2018-3-5
Use props
TedHutcheson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 276168 ft
Canada

dronie326 Posted at 2018-3-5 08:39
As stated, no reason to switch mounts. Flies fine with single camera on dual mount.

My issue at the moment using the dual mount for "mapping" is that my left leg seems to appear in many of my photos (using Pix4D Capture).  I'm kind of frustrated by this as we intended to use the dual mounts to collect NADIR imagery from both the XT or Micasense and the X4S that comes with the unit.  At this point none of my photos I've taken are usable to process a surface.

Anyone else having these issues?
2018-3-16
Use props
YOYOMAN
lvl.4
Réunion

TedHutcheson Posted at 2018-3-16 06:57
My issue at the moment using the dual mount for "mapping" is that my left leg seems to appear in many of my photos (using Pix4D Capture).  I'm kind of frustrated by this as we intended to use the dual mounts to collect NADIR imagery from both the XT or Micasense and the X4S that comes with the unit.  At this point none of my photos I've taken are usable to process a surface.

didn't try because I've already sent my M210 to my dealer to repair (GPS-compas issue) .... but I also were interested by mapping with XT and X4S before reading your comment   ....
Could you post  X4S picture with legs please?
What about the right leg? Which Format / Lens is your XT? Don't you see the right leg?
maybe solution would be to use retractable landing gear
2018-3-16
Use props
Mr Nebby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 682776 ft
United States

TedHutcheson Posted at 2018-3-16 06:57

I had the same issue while mapping so I went ahead and installed the single downward gimbal. Due to the limited functionality of using dual gimbals right now  I feel there is not much reason to have dual gimbals installed.  The M210 works much better for mapping with single gimbal.
2018-3-17
Use props
Mr Nebby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 682776 ft
United States

The M210 would be greatly improved by adding a quick change system to go between the single and dual gimbal mount quickly.
2018-3-17
Use props
TedHutcheson
lvl.1
Canada

YOYOMAN Posted at 2018-3-16 07:45
didn't try because I've already sent my M210 to my dealer to repair (GPS-compas issue) .... but I also were interested by mapping with XT and X4S before reading your comment   ....
Could you post  X4S picture with legs please?
What about the right leg? Which Format / Lens is your XT? Don't you see the right leg?

Hey there YOYOMAN,

So yeah, I got off the phone with my local technical support folks and they too have been issues mapping using the dual gimbal system but only using the X4S camera.  Apparently the field of view with that camera specifically is quite wide and it does sit a little closer to the gimbal body.  So yes, my service folks are hearing more about this.

Their recommendation(s) however are kind of nonsense.  That being,
1. Buy the x5 camera and because it hangs lower and the field of view is a little more narrow this issue becomes a non issue (just spend another 2K?)

2. Put the single gimbal back on (not the ideal solution for us), but after testing seems to work as expected

3. Buy into this shortened landing gear solution of literally cutting the legs in half and removing a small section and joining them back again (apparently there is some kind of pre-designed solution to do this). Cutting the legs?  Really?  Really?  seems like an adhoc solution that will only void your warranty.

All this leads me honestly to think that simply put, DJI has not done enough R&D on this unit for the variety of disciplines we all use these copters for and the types of sensors they're selling to be used on them.  At 20K Canadian, I'm not overly impressed at the purchase right now, and don't even get me started on the lack of apps supported by the CS monitor these things come with.  What a disappointment.
2018-3-26
Use props
TedHutcheson
lvl.1
Canada

TedHutcheson Posted at 2018-3-26 06:22
Hey there YOYOMAN,

So yeah, I got off the phone with my local technical support folks and they too have been issues mapping using the dual gimbal system but only using the X4S camera.  Apparently the field of view with that camera specifically is quite wide and it does sit a little closer to the gimbal body.  So yes, my service folks are hearing more about this.

another suggestion was instead of pointing the camera down to 90o use a 3D flight angle and that should alleviate the legs as well.  So running 45o or 60o angles should help out there too.

All you can do is try and see what works.  My thought is using the oblique view might work out since that is the best angle for 3D work and other building inspections you want to have 3D support for once post processing is done (i.e. Pix4d).

good luck everyone, I'll post up more as testing continues.  But cutting the legs, I think not.
2018-3-26
Use props
YOYOMAN
lvl.4
Réunion

TedHutcheson Posted at 2018-3-26 06:29
another suggestion was instead of pointing the camera down to 90o use a 3D flight angle and that should alleviate the legs as well.  So running 45o or 60o angles should help out there too.

All you can do is try and see what works.  My thought is using the oblique view might work out since that is the best angle for 3D work and other building inspections you want to have 3D support for once post processing is done (i.e. Pix4d).

haha these answers from DJI are so crazy !
and they claim DJI care about customers?!  

that could be a solution: https://www.flyingeye.fr/produit/train-retractable-m200-m210/
but I'm afraid about the balance with these feet?! this solution add height, and I think the angle of the feet should be also higher.. It's a French solution... and an expensive one but, could be right for photogrammetry!
2018-3-26
Use props
dronie326
lvl.3
Flight distance : 810 ft
United States

A simple solution is to just change the flight angle of the mission flight so that it is flying parallel to the wind. The leg only shows when flying perpendicular to the wind direction which causes the M210 to lean into the wind and thus a piece of the left landing gear gets in the X4S FOV. You might still occasionally get a small piece if it happens to snap a picture during an aggressive turn but otherwise this should eliminate the leg from showing in pictures during the mapping run.
I do tend to agree with TedHutcheson though. Not overly impressed with the M210 or dual gimbal functionality considering the price tag that comes with it.
2018-3-29
Use props
fansaacfb69e
lvl.1
United States

I haven't had a problem...dont expect to use FPV for dual gimbals even if you have dual controls...but if the below comment is of any question, then why did DJI come up with a dual mount system
2018-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules