Motors cut out mid flight
1692 25 2018-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansbda464d1
lvl.1
Australia

Has anyone else had his/her drones motors stop mid flight?

Spent the afternoon flying over the river with no problems as per usual. Hit the home button and watch her settle overhead before slowly starting to desend. Suddenly everything shut down and it fell 20m smashing into the ground, luckly onto our jetty and not into the water.

50% battery
In home mode
Not in sports mode
Clear signal
Clear GPS
Clear internet

Love some feed back if anyone else has had this happen?

2018-3-1
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Do you have landing extensions or other aftermarket accessories?
2018-3-1
Use props
fansbda464d1
lvl.1
Australia

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-1 06:25

No it is stock straight from the shop
2018-3-1
Use props
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
Flight distance : 235026 ft
United States

Sounds terrifying to hear this. I myself have not experience this yet but sure do hope it was just a glitch of some kind.
2018-3-1
Use props
DH_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

what was the outside temperature when this happened?
2018-3-1
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-1 06:25

What would landing extensions have to do with motors cutting out mid flight?
2018-3-1
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2018-3-1 07:01
What would landing extensions have to do with motors cutting out mid flight?

Some have been known to confuse the downward sensors into thinking the Mavic is on the ground, hence the motor shutoff.
2018-3-1
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Never had that happen to me. Glad to hear you recovered it.
  I had a mishap in tripod mode where the drone decided to take off (at full speed) on its own and tried to land while I had the right stick fully forward. A couple post replies said it might be because of the Landing extensions.  Not sure why! Hopefully someone will give you an answer on having landing extensions.   
2018-3-1
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Some sort of battery disconnect is the most likely possibility. Total loss of power ?

Dennis
2018-3-1
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

Check the downward cameras at the bottom if they are clean. Also observe the vps altitude if it is read correctly.
2018-3-1
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I suggest you open a support case with DJI and let them analyse the data. It is important for them to identify the cause.
2018-3-1
Use props
fans114d670d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 870177 ft
Sweden

DTWENTY18 Posted at 2018-3-1 06:44
Sounds terrifying to hear this. I myself have not experience this yet but sure do hope it was just a glitch of some kind.

sound extremely bad!
2018-3-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sounds like a serious motor over load error or battery short... what was the outside temp when this happened.
2018-3-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear about this, please send the drone in, we will help to make a data analysis for this crash to find out the reason. If it's a warranty case, we will get your drone repaired/replaced with no charge according to our After-sales Policy. Please contact our support to start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-1
Use props
fansbda464d1
lvl.1
Australia

Thanks for all your help and support everyone. Sending off for further analysis and hopefully will have a better understanding of what happened soon
2018-3-1
Use props
fansbda464d1
lvl.1
Australia

DTWENTY18 Posted at 2018-3-1 06:44

Thank mate
2018-3-1
Use props
fansbda464d1
lvl.1
Australia

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-1 07:50
I suggest you open a support case with DJI and let them analyse the data. It is important for them to identify the cause.

Thanks mate
2018-3-1
Use props
fansbda464d1
lvl.1
Australia

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-1 07:08
Some have been known to confuse the downward sensors into thinking the Mavic is on the ground, hence the motor shutoff.

Very possible. Find out soon hopefully
2018-3-1
Use props
fansbda464d1
lvl.1
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-3-1 08:10
Sounds like a serious motor over load error or battery short... what was the outside temp when this happened.

32, slightly windy but a good day for it
2018-3-1
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Def would not fly this aircraft again ...send it in to dji, maybe a battery failure...sounds like only logical explanation or something stopped motors which could happen if bottom of one of the prop nubs breaks off imto motor shutting it down...
2018-3-1
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-1 07:08
Some have been known to confuse the downward sensors into thinking the Mavic is on the ground, hence the motor shutoff.

I think the sensors can be confused depending on the design, but the Mavic doesn't rely only on the sensors to "think" it has landed... ther are other systems like barometer, altimeter, GPS and others....
2018-3-2
Use props
Sasquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Keep us posted when you find the cause. Glad you are getting it fixed.
2018-3-2
Use props
boverhultz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54354 ft
United States

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday but mine had a processor critically overheated error pop up. Now the fan doesn't come on at all, so of course it overheats in like 1 minute so there is no way I can fly it. I think I have a defective unit so I opened a case with customer support, but am still waiting for their reply. Did you get any warning or error messages?
2018-3-2
Use props
fansbda464d1
lvl.1
Australia

boverhultz Posted at 2018-3-2 09:58
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday but mine had a processor critically overheated error pop up. Now the fan doesn't come on at all, so of course it overheats in like 1 minute so there is no way I can fly it. I think I have a defective unit so I opened a case with customer support, but am still waiting for their reply. Did you get any warning or error messages?

No warnings, BUT I will admit I was looking at the drone itself while decending and stunned shock when it fell I may have not of noticed it. Support were really good paying for the Express Post themselves.
hopefully will have news for me tomorrow after
2018-3-4
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

fansbda464d1 Posted at 2018-3-4 15:39
No warnings, BUT I will admit I was looking at the drone itself while decending and stunned shock when it fell I may have not of noticed it. Support were really good paying for the Express Post themselves.
hopefully will have news for me tomorrow after

let us know the outcome - even if it is just that they replaced your drone with a new one - which i hope will be the case
2018-3-4
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

Just a thought that doesn't appear to have been mentioned. The instruction manual talks about the emergency motor shutoff procedure as being the same stick combination that you use to start/stop the aircraft - could you possibly have used this stick combination mid-flight?
2018-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules