3968 93 2018-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-5 08:03
I'm always interested in what people who own drones use to edit their videos. My ASUS computer sits in my office, and for the most part I use my tablet/laptop that is a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2nd Generation that has 16 GB of RAM and 7th Generation Kaby Lake i7-7Y75 processor. Believe it or not, all of my editing to YouTube for my Spark has been done with my ThinkPad, only because it sits with me everywhere and I start editing on it thinking to transfer the file to the ASUS for faster processing, but my ThinkPad i7-7Y75 isn't the fastest but it has a base speed of 1.3GHz but Turbo up to 3.6GHz which bangs out Adobe Premiere Pro 2018 quickly for all small low capacity Spark drone videos.

I absolutely believe that a Kaby Lake i7 with 16 GB RAM is very capable for doing the job, this is very strong gear! Before ordering my new one I have done quite some research on the current processors  and much to my surprise tests showed that for video processing the current AMD Ryzen actually performed faster than their Intel equivalents. So since I am a long standing AMD fan (since almost 30 years I guess), my new one will be a Ryzen 5 1600X, 16 GB Ram and a 4096MB Gainward GTX 1050 Ti graphics card, 250 GB Samsung SSD and 1 TB Toshiba HD. All this is not top gear but let's say upper middle class and I hope it will do the job. I'll report back. At least it will be dimensions better than my now about six years old PC ;-).
2018-3-5
Use props
Parisi2274
Second Officer
Flight distance : 211043 ft
United States

Were the dust caps for the Mavic Air batteries?  If so, are those from Dji? or Third Party? and do you have a link to them?
2018-3-5
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-4 23:04
I did not go for the top model but hope that it will be good enough. In a few days I'll know...

The wife was a wee bit miffed. She looked at some and said, 'Here's one for $399 that should work for you.' I replied, I already ordered this other one for $1800. Yeah, the room got a little chilly.
2018-3-5
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-2 10:21
Try riding a motorbike as a hobby

You can say that again. These drones our pocket change compared to the bikes.
70F79596-0823-431B-9E03-00A9CE6C9575.jpeg
2018-3-5
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-5 08:03
I'm always interested in what people who own drones use to edit their videos. My ASUS computer sits in my office, and for the most part I use my tablet/laptop that is a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2nd Generation that has 16 GB of RAM and 7th Generation Kaby Lake i7-7Y75 processor. Believe it or not, all of my editing to YouTube for my Spark has been done with my ThinkPad, only because it sits with me everywhere and I start editing on it thinking to transfer the file to the ASUS for faster processing, but my ThinkPad i7-7Y75 isn't the fastest but it has a base speed of 1.3GHz but Turbo up to 3.6GHz which bangs out Adobe Premiere Pro 2018 quickly for all small low capacity Spark drone videos.

Have you tried editing 4K on that laptop?  I think that would be to much for it to handle.
2018-3-5
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-5 08:50
I absolutely believe that a Kaby Lake i7 with 16 GB RAM is very capable for doing the job, this is very strong gear! Before ordering my new one I have done quite some research on the current processors  and much to my surprise tests showed that for video processing the current AMD Ryzen actually performed faster than their Intel equivalents. So since I am a long standing AMD fan (since almost 30 years I guess), my new one will be a Ryzen 5 1600X, 16 GB Ram and a 4096MB Gainward GTX 1050 Ti graphics adapter, 250 GB Samsung SSD and 1 TB Toshiba HD. All this is not top gear but let's say upper middle class and I hope it will do the job. I'll report back. At least it will be dimensions better than my now about six years old PC ;-).

Very wise choice, you are going to be so happy with that Ryzen build!
2018-3-5
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Parisi2274 Posted at 2018-3-5 08:52
Were the dust caps for the Mavic Air batteries?  If so, are those from Dji? or Third Party? and do you have a link to them?

Third party 3d printed, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... p;priceBeautifyAB=0
2018-3-5
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-3-5 09:02

Now that's a real (money) hog!
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-5 09:02
Have you tried editing 4K on that laptop?  I think that would be to much for it to handle.

I edit 4K on it but sometimes it shuts down overheating only because it isn't fan cooled, but that is editing large files in Adobe Premiere Pro 2018 for long hours on end.
2018-3-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-3-5 08:54
The wife was a wee bit miffed. She looked at some and said, 'Here's one for $399 that should work for you.' I replied, I already ordered this other one for $1800. Yeah, the room got a little chilly.

Oha, I can well imagine . My first choice was quite exactly at that rate but I cancelled the order because I felt like overdoing it a bit ;-) The one I'll get now is still expensive enough.
2018-3-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-5 09:03
Very wise choice, you are going to be so happy with that Ryzen build!

Thank you, I am very much looking forward to it :-)
2018-3-5
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-5 09:11
I edit 4K on it but sometimes it shuts down overheating only because it isn't fan cooled, but that is editing large files in Adobe Premiere Pro 2018 for long hours on end.

No wonder with a 15 watt thermal design power. :x  
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-5 09:50
No wonder with a 15 watt thermal design power. :x

15 watt thermal design power is different and isn't the same as other i7 7th Generation Kaby Lake processors? Sorry I just don't know the nomenclature, thanks for explaining.
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-5 09:05
Now that's a real (money) hog!

Driving Quads are not as expensive as bikes and have more mass for drones to track.
2018-3-5
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I think it is better to spread out the accessory buying.  Buy new things for your drone or bike over the years instead of whole hog in the first month.  Keeps the drone or motorcycle a new experience.  Adding an accessory or new bag pushes away the boredom that owners get as their toys age.  I still ride this bike I bought new in 1995.  Changing the chain out two years ago.  Really not liking the low windscreen and handlebars as much as I did when I was 20.

2018-3-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-5 11:35
Driving Quads are not as expensive as bikes and have more mass for drones to track.

Ok, since the challenge has been opened here comes my other quad with me on it doing offroad competitions (aerial footage still to come, apologies for getting off topic):

Seltz 419.jpg
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-5 12:49
Ok, since the challenge has been opened here comes my other quad with me on it doing offroad competitions  (aerial footage still to come, apologies for getting off topic):

That's a mudder!
2018-3-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Yes, sometimes situations are getting naughty in these competitions... ;-) I have nice footage taken with my Spark last year that I shall edit once my new PC has arrived and is set up. Parts of the footage are quite spectacular in terms of location :-)
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-5 13:16
Yes, sometimes situations are getting naughty in these competitions... ;-) I have nice footage taken with my Spark last year that I shall edit once my new PC has arrived and is set up. Parts of the footage are quite spectacular in terms of location :-)

Were you recording the footage with the Remote while on the Quad or did you have someone record it for you?
2018-3-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-5 13:27
Were you recording the footage with the Remote while on the Quad or did you have someone record it for you?

No, I have no aerial recordings of myself but I have filmed the others. There was no other pilot on the spot and I would not have taken any of the equipment with me into the mud and water. I'll feed the footage up with a few scenes taken by my helmet cam when I was driving.
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-5 14:06
No, I have no aerial recordings of myself but I have filmed the others. There was no other pilot on the spot and I would not have taken any of the equipment with me into the mud and water. I'll feed the footage up with a few scenes taken by my helmet cam when I was driving.

OK, too bad I wasn't there it would have been my pleasure taking up the Spark and filming you rip it up.
2018-3-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-5 15:00
OK, too bad I wasn't there it would have been my pleasure taking up the Spark and filming you rip it up.

If we can somehow solve the distance issue, it will be my pleasure to invite you for the next opportunity ;-). The new season will soon open (on Easter Sunday, which is a no go for me), but I shall join in a bit later in the year.
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-5 15:13
If we can somehow solve the distance issue, it will be my pleasure to invite you for the next opportunity ;-). The new season will soon open (on Easter Sunday, which is a no go for me), but I shall join in a bit later in the year.

Well that all depends, I'm in Arizona where are you from exactly? I remember it was not the US?
2018-3-5
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-3-5 09:02

Uhm. Yeah. This cost more than an Inspire.

2018-3-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-5 15:38
Well that all depends, I'm in Arizona where are you from exactly? I remember it was not the US?

Germany. A bit far...
2018-3-5
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-5 11:47
I think it is better to spread out the accessory buying.  Buy new things for your drone or bike over the years instead of whole hog in the first month.  Keeps the drone or motorcycle a new experience.  Adding an accessory or new bag pushes away the boredom that owners get as their toys age.  I still ride this bike I bought new in 1995.  Changing the chain out two years ago.  Really not liking the low windscreen and handlebars as much as I did when I was 20.

[view_image]

Sweet! I love the colorscheme, its not even aged to today's standards!
But you have to be fair, that is NOT a moneyhog, its the most economical bike you can ride. I can't imagine you've needed to spend anything to keep it on the road, I bet those front brake discs are even original. Plenty of drone money left with that bike in the shed.

Maybe you should give your back a present, and get yourself some elevated clip-ons?  like these , no need for a bigger windsceen then either, the wind on your upper body helps keep relief the strain from the wrists aswell.

Now here's a money pit spend more in a year then 7 years ownership of a Honda 919.
_68A7216.jpg

2018-3-6
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-5 12:49
Ok, since the challenge has been opened here comes my other quad with me on it doing offroad competitions  (aerial footage still to come, apologies for getting off topic):

Awesome! Looks like a great experience to ride
2018-3-6
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-5 11:12
15 watt thermal design power is different and isn't the same as other i7 7th Generation Kaby Lake processors? Sorry I just don't know the nomenclature, thanks for explaining.

I looked it up, its even 4.5 watt!

It's actually great what a performance they can get out of so little power, that X1 looks like a great device to own as a daily driver!
It's no comparison to desktop I7's, and Intel calling the I7-7Y75 is merely marketing. But that doesn't really matter one bit, its a perfect fit for the device they put it in.
2018-3-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-6 01:42
Awesome! Looks like a great experience to ride

Yes it's fun :-)
2018-3-6
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-6 01:41
Sweet! I love the colorscheme, its not even aged to today's standards!
But you have to be fair, that is NOT a moneyhog, its the most economical bike you can ride. I can't imagine you've needed to spend anything to keep it on the road, I bet those front brake discs are even original.  Plenty of drone money left with that bike in the shed.

The Triumph is a money pit due to accessories added to it?  Or is it maintenance requirements like a Ducati?  It looks like the latest versions have Ohlins forks?

The Honda is pretty cheap to run now.  $9 per month for full coverage insurance.  The only thing not stock on it is the theft alarm system and starter cutout.  It is a jewel to work on as everything fits perfectly.  I do all my own work though I wish I could pay some one to do it.  It is just too hard to find someone who knows what they are doing (even the dealers) so I do it myself.  I have a carbon fiber exhaust system from Two Brothers for it but I have never installed it.

2018-3-6
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I lived in Frankfurt for a year (near Main Hauptbahnhof) so Germany in terms of my knowledge is pretty good.
2018-3-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-6 09:31
I lived in Frankfurt for a year (near Main Hauptbahnhof) so Germany in terms of my knowledge is pretty good.

Great to hear! :-)
2018-3-6
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-6 01:47
I looked it up, its even 4.5 watt!

It's actually great what a performance they can get out of so little power, that X1 looks like a great device to own as a daily driver!

I've been pleasantly surprised with Intel's i7-7Y75 in my ThinkPad X1 Tablet. I also have a Lenovo MiiX 510 Tablet that has its own i7-7500U and that one is fan cooled, doesn't get nearly the battery life this ThinkPad gets, but both processors are neck and neck, I certainly prefer the ThinkPad 8 hour battery not counting my productivity module that when connected gets another 5 hours of run-time.

The ThinkPad X1 lineup is superb with the Carbon and Yoga. I'm a little disappointed they changed the kickstand and took away the flash to rear camera that now has rear and front facing cameras, no rear flash at night or when trying to get that better, lighted, shot. So my opinion is the 2nd Generation Kaby Lake X1 Tablet with LTE is probably the best 2-in-1 I've ever used.
2018-3-6
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-6 09:05
The Triumph is a money pit due to accessories added to it?  Or is it maintenance requirements like a Ducati?  It looks like the latest versions have Ohlins forks?

The Honda is pretty cheap to run now.  $9 per month for full coverage insurance.  The only thing not stock on it is the theft alarm system and starter cutout.  It is a jewel to work on as everything fits perfectly.  I do all my own work though I wish I could pay some one to do it.  It is just too hard to find someone who knows what they are doing (even the dealers) so I do it myself.  I have a carbon fiber exhaust system from Two Brothers for it but I have never installed it.

You would think it was the accessoires , but no, just keeping in on the road, child deseases of the first batch 1050 engines I suppose, to name a few, undermeasured starter clutch and alternator, poriferous lower crankcase, non coated brake caliper pistons, poorly designed linksystem, the list goes on and on
It did get better, no issues at al with the Triumph 675 Street Triple with 40K miles. Thankfully I've got two right hands so it was all just parts that are expensive.
Like you I do the maintanance myself, bikes don't get the love from the dealerships like you can give yourself. Which is understandable, because that love comes at a price.
The new models do indead come with a Öhleaks label, but don't be fooled, it's not the quality that you would get from getting it straight out of the Öhlins factory.
Its better to stay away completely from Öhleaks, its great stuff for on the racetrack, but way to fragile for the abuse it gets on the road.  

2018-3-6
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-6 09:38
I've been pleasantly surprised with Intel's i7-7Y75 in my ThinkPad X1 Tablet. I also have a Lenovo MiiX 510 Tablet that has its own i7-7500U and that one is fan cooled, doesn't get nearly the battery life this ThinkPad gets, but both processors are neck and neck, I certainly prefer the ThinkPad 8 hour battery not counting my productivity module that when connected gets another 5 hours of run-time.

The ThinkPad X1 lineup is superb with the Carbon and Yoga. I'm a little disappointed they changed the kickstand and took away the flash to rear camera that now has rear and front facing cameras, no rear flash at night or when trying to get that better, lighted, shot. So my opinion is the 2nd Generation Kaby Lake X1 Tablet with LTE is probably the best 2-in-1 I've ever used.

I can imagine that you love it, it goes way past my price/performance threshold though.
I usually go for second hand 'bang for buck' and with my little girl I need something she can stand on without breaking. ;)
So I bought a second hand Dell E7240, FHD 12" touchscreen and I7-4600U about a year ago, cost me about 325 dollar which is a steal in my opinion.
I won't try editing footage on it, got the desktop for that.

2018-3-6
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks my friend!
2018-3-6
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-6 10:27
You would think it was the accessoires , but no, just keeping in on the road, child deseases of the first batch 1050 engines I suppose, to name a few, undermeasured starter clutch and alternator, poriferous lower crankcase, non coated brake caliper pistons, poorly designed linksystem, the list goes on and on
It did get better, no issues at al with the Triumph 675 Street Triple with 40K miles. Thankfully I've got two right hands so it was all just parts that are expensive.
Like you I do the maintanance myself, bikes don't get the love from the dealerships like you can give yourself. Which is understandable, because that love comes at a price.

I’d best not show you my bike then...

2018-3-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Wyke Posted at 2018-3-6 13:07

[view_image]

Wow, this is a really nice one, congratulations!
2018-3-6
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Wyke Posted at 2018-3-6 13:07

[view_image]

Sweet! that's drooling material
2018-3-6
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-6 10:33
I can imagine that you love it, it goes way past my price/performance threshold though.
I usually go for second hand 'bang for buck' and with my little girl I need something she can stand on without breaking. ;)
So I bought a second hand Dell E7240, FHD 12" touchscreen and I7-4600U about a year ago, cost me about 325 dollar which is a steal in my opinion.

I agree with you on the price but got a great deal last year when Lenovo had a can't miss sale. Agree on the editing part too, but these Kaby Lake Intel Core i7 processors (I know are dual core) can handle some pretty heavy lifting

2018-3-6
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules