Total newbie question - registration
551 2 2018-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EC_Wilburn
lvl.1
United States

Hello! I've been lurking around reading the threads here for a while as I pondered buying my first drone. Well, I finally took the plunge and it arrived. I've charge it up, and would love to go out for inaugural flight today. I registered my drone, however... I maybe sort of messed up and registered it first with the Part 107, then when I thought that was in error I registered it again under Sec 336. The description on FAA website was a little confusing because it seemed like I could register under Part 107 if flying just for recreation. I know that in order to fly commercially I need to take the Part 107 certification test. However, it seemed like you could still fly recreationally with the 107.

Anyways, to be safe, as I said I registered both. My question is, WHICH registration number should I put on my drone?? For what it's worth, down the road I would like to take the test and get certified to use my drone for commercial purposes. I am a professional television editor, and my husband is also a professional in television production. We'd like to pick up some side gigs. So, knowing that I would like to eventually get commercial license, should I put that registration number on my drone? Both to be safe!?

Thank you in advance!

PS. Shout out to the user who mentioned in a thread on these forums that they canceled their B&H order and ordered through Apple's Employee Purchase Program. That saved us some money, and we got our White Fly More Combo that was sitting on backorder at B&H. If you see this, thank you!!! I didn't even think of buying from Apple with work discount.
2018-3-2
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

Use the 336 registration number.    Until you pass the test,  I'm not sure the part 107 number is valid.

Also, under part 336,  you don't have to register each and every drone -- you can use the same registration for all you drones ( you will get hooked on this hobby, addicted, and will buy more!!!).

If you want to go part 107,  there's a lot of good study material on youtube.   There's also practice tests on the web that are free.

If this is your first drone -- watch the training videos before you fly.   Take it slow and easy.    Don't try too high or too far until you have some experience.   And most important -- don't fly if you don't have a "GPS" lock, with a "Homepoint has been recorded".    If you see Compass or Yaw errors -- land immediately (or don't take off).     

As I mentioned above,  this hobby is addicting!!!   Have fun!

Sid
2018-3-2
Use props
ChaosKnign
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402877 ft
United States

Use the Part 107 registration number. =)
2018-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules