Gimbal gourd or no?
1143 9 2018-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WOWO1
lvl.2

United States

can someone clear up for me if you fly with the sheald over the camera? (Mavic Pro) Some say it blocks the fan, but why do they protect it with the boot, if they don’t want you to shoot though it?
DJI video shows them flying with it on.
2018-3-2
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I have read on other threads that the Cover does restrict some air flow. I never fly with it on now. Once I started to fly and forgot to take off the Gimbal lock underneath.

It's also for protection when in flight but it degrades your video, so you want to remove it if you are recording anything that you care about the quality of.

But you can certainly leave it on if you want to. Just make sure the Lock is removed.
2018-3-2
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

The hood does not obstruct air flow but it does cause severe sun reflections on the footage which sometimes looks cool but mostly does not. dji used the covers in their marketing shoots - probably to protect in case of crashes during those wild runs through trees and canyons. You can safely leave the cover on for gimbal protection but the best protection is to not crash your drone. unfortunely that does happen to most of us at some point, mostly in the beginning phase but soon enough if your flying practices are correct you are not likely to crash your drone (outside of system failure or user error)
2018-3-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This has to have been debated now for nearly 18 months! I wouldn't use it - it ruins your footage and if you think that detachable bit of plastic cover will save your gimbal in the event of a crash - don't LOL And yes, it restricts air flow
2018-3-2
Use props
WOWO1
lvl.2

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-2 13:36
This has to have been debated now for nearly 18 months! I wouldn't use it - it ruins your footage and if you think that detachable bit of plastic cover will save your gimbal in the event of a crash - don't LOL And yes, it restricts air flow

Thanks for the reply, can you monitor the battery temperature to give some idea if you’re running hot, with the cover on?
2018-3-2
Use props
WOWO1
lvl.2

United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-3-2 13:35
The hood does not obstruct air flow but it does cause severe sun reflections on the footage which sometimes looks cool but mostly does not. dji used the covers in their marketing shoots - probably to protect in case of crashes during those wild runs through trees and canyons. You can safely leave the cover on for gimbal protection but the best protection is to not crash your drone. unfortunely that does happen to most of us at some point, mostly in the beginning phase but soon enough if your flying practices are correct you are not likely to crash your drone (outside of system failure or user error)

Thanks for the reply, can you monitor the battery temperature to give some idea if you’re running hot, with the cover on?
2018-3-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WOWO1 Posted at 2018-3-2 13:53

Yep - battery temperature is displayed in the app - top right of the battery status info. Needs to be between 15-40c - though it's the drone temp you need to be midful of rather than the battery.
2018-3-2
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

WOWO1 Posted at 2018-3-2 13:55
Thanks for the reply, can you monitor the battery temperature to give some idea if you’re running hot, with the cover on?

you can monitor the battery temp in the app - go to menu - go to battery - its in there somewhere perhaps on the second page of that section.
However the gimal cover will not influence your battery temperature -  if it would affect any temp of equipment then it will be that the internal processors and boards will become more heated - i do not think that there is a way (other than touch) to monitor this temp
But dji says that it is fine to fly with and will not adversely affect cooling system.

The cover though is like prop guards - seem like the obvious thing to have but before long they are off and never used again.
2018-3-2
Use props
WOWO1
lvl.2

United States

Thank you, Speaking of prop guards do they shorten the flight time?
2018-3-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It is always the users' preference to fly the drone with or without the gimbal cover. It will protect the camera from the wind to some extent but might also sacrifice the resolution or quality of the pictures and videos in some situations.
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules