This can't be right
1448 21 2018-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Beagle One
lvl.1
United States

Hi everyone. I just got my MPP 2 days ago. I've just played around with it so far but the video it captures is terrible. MOIRE & ALIASING BAD!!! This can't be normal.
This is a video I shot this morning.  VIDEO This was shot with auto settings and -1 -1 0

Please look at the footage and let me if this is normal. I understand that it is washed out and I'm not using a filter but I thought the  quality would be better than this. My goPro shoots amazing 4k right out of the box.

Please let me know if I should be using a different method to link videos too.

Thanks!

2018-3-3
Use props
Beagle One
lvl.1
United States

Well when I look at the video in the link I don't see the artifacts and aliasing.
2018-3-3
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Maybe you could try setting your sharpness to +1 because your video looks too soft,

Apart from that, I don't see how the video is "HORRIBLE". Please return your Mavic right now if you are disgusted by the results you are getting. You need to put effort into post-processing because the Mavic is not that much of a point and shoot.
2018-3-3
Use props
Beagle One
lvl.1
United States

I just want to make sure it is normal and I understand that post processing will be involved. That video in the link above is way softer than the actual footage. I'm trying to figure out how to actually link the original footage. I thought that it may be my playback on my pc, but I played the file on my TV and it was the same result.

Any suggestion on how to link the actual file?
2018-3-3
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Beagle One Posted at 2018-3-3 06:29
I just want to make sure it is normal and I understand that post processing will be involved. That video in the link above is way softer than the actual footage. I'm trying to figure out how to actually link the original footage. I thought that it may be my playback on my pc, but I played the file on my TV and it was the same result.

Any suggestion on how to link the actual file?

Any suggestion on how to link the actual file?
Upload it to YouTube.
2018-3-3
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Mavic camera is terrible. My phone takes better video.
2018-3-3
Use props
Beagle One
lvl.1
United States

I have added the original file as a zip. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jJEKQd3ng_SAKwWcq4E2Byyy7riFsbkb/view?usp=sharing
2018-3-3
Use props
Beagle One
lvl.1
United States

Zip File

Can I delete my previous reply?
2018-3-3
Use props
MBrown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 619790 ft
United States

I see no issues.    It took me a bit of time to find the right settings for my Mavic to produce very good results.   
2018-3-3
Use props
Beagle One
lvl.1
United States

@MBrown - Did you look at the zip file?
2018-3-3
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

The last upload seems ok to me. Flares from the sun / propellers are normal and difficult to avoid at certain angles.
Try these settings before your next fly:
Use an ND filter - res. 2.7k at 24fps and +1 +1 0. The result may turn out to be more acceptable to you.
2018-3-3
Use props
MFPullen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6257444 ft
  • >>>
United States

I dont see any major differences in your footage as compared to mine or others.  You probably need  to play with your settings, try some filters and post processing.  If you are still not happy...well return the drone and maybe buy an Inspire.  Within the limitations of the sensor size and available settings I have been more than pleased with the Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum output.  
Have you tried some stills and see how those came out?
2018-3-3
Use props
Beagle One
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the helpful replies. I just wanted to make sure my footage was normal.

I would try some stills but it is too windy for me to fly right now. Hopefully later this afternoon it will die down some.
I'm thinking that the artifacts I am seeing on the raw video are from the high file resolution and the lower resolution on my old monitors.
I have re encoded some clips at 1080p and they look better. I have ordered the Polar Pro ND filters so I can get the shutter speed down.
That should help some too I believe.

2018-3-3
Use props
Beagle One
lvl.1
United States

HERE is a screen recording of my video playback.
You can see the aliasing in the bricks, the fence, the power lines and the shingles at the end.  Even though this video is low quality, you can see the artifacts.
They are really bad when I view the 4k footage. Every pine needle in the trees alias.  I'm just glad to know it's my display setup and not the camera on the Mavic.
2018-3-3
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 321398 ft
United States

Is your computer older? I know some computes cant handle playback of the higher quality playback. One of my computers will studder, flicker and freak out if I play a video I downloaded.
2018-3-3
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

Beagle One Posted at 2018-3-3 08:06
HERE is a screen recording of my video playback.
You can see the aliasing in the bricks, the fence, the power lines and the shingles at the end.  Even though this video is low quality, you can see the artifacts.
They are really bad when I view the 4k footage. Every pine needle in the trees alias.  I'm just glad to know it's my display setup and not the camera on the Mavic.

Problem is slow PC and huge video bitrate... Make video in FHD and test it..
2018-3-3
Use props
Beagle One
lvl.1
United States

I'm running AMD Ryzen 7 1700 w/ 16GB RAM.
2018-3-3
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

Beagle One Posted at 2018-3-3 08:26
I'm running AMD Ryzen 7 1700 w/ 16GB RAM.

And video player SW?? Test VLC..
2018-3-3
Use props
Beagle One
lvl.1
United States

Currently using WPC. I'll try VLC. I actually use VLC on my NVidia Sheild.
2018-3-3
Use props
Beagle One
lvl.1
United States

Same result with VLC
2018-3-3
Use props
MBrown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 619790 ft
United States

Beagle One Posted at 2018-3-3 07:09
@MBrown - Did you look at the zip file?

No ,  I didn't.  What setting did you record at.  4k 30?.   Try recording at 2.7k 24.  I think you will find a much improved video.  The bottle neck is the process rate of 60 Mb sec on the  4k, hard to handle all that data at 4k.
2018-3-3
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Something off with your playback setup - possibly.  I downloaded your file and it looks fine, in fact better than some in terms of any camera specific issues. A couple of points, you're shooting in area of high localised contrast (the dark of the shadowed pines silhouetted against the bright sky behind). The shutter must be set at a high value as there is next to zero motion blur from frame to frame. The sharpness generally is best when set to +1 you can always soften it in post. You will notice some strobing from the prop shadows as you yaw the view away from the direct sunlight - there is a sun shield and gimbal cover on the market that can help with that a bit. Using an appropriate ND filter will give you to option for better exposure control relative to shutter speed on these bright sunny days. I've found shooting at UHD res is better than 4K as it reduces strange temporal noise artefacts on any clouds when yawing the craft slowly.
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules