Do I need WIFI or Cellular data to run the Pilot App
45877 21 2015-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
samrob52
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi

Just wondering if I am going to need a data signal to run the Pilot app.

As I understand some data will be required to refresh the maps but this can be pre cached in the app if you turn it on in the settings and spend the time moving the map over the area that you intend to fly over.

Does this meen that if I take the phantom out without doing this before hand that I will have no map view?

Will the App work without the map?
2015-5-4
Use props
chrisongtj
lvl.1

Singapore

Not sure if this is much help, but I managed to run my P3 Advanced connected to a Galaxy Note 2 without SIM card, just Wi Fi. One day I'll try it without the WiFi connected.

Make sure you download the latest app for the DJI website, not the Play store as DJI has the most recent version.
2015-5-4
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Data network is not necessary to run the pilot app. It works without map.
2015-5-4
Use props
samrob52
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thankyou for the speedy reply Autumn.

Much appreciated
2015-5-4
Use props
zt6kxt41
lvl.2

United States

chrisongtj Posted at 2015-5-4 18:35
Not sure if this is much help, but I managed to run my P3 Advanced connected to a Galaxy Note 2 with ...

Samrob52....I use the WIFI and put my phone in airplane mode and it works great......300 meters away from me....dont think I will try it without WIFI
2015-5-4
Use props
chrisongtj
lvl.1

Singapore

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-4 18:36
Data network is not necessary to run the pilot app. It works without map.

Hi Autumn,

Is there a way to save the maps to app? Eg download maps at home then go out to fly. I'm using a spare device in my case without sim card.
2015-5-4
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

zt6kxt41@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-4 18:52
Samrob52....I use the WIFI and put my phone in airplane mode and it works great......300 meters aw ...

Why do you need Wifi ?
2015-5-4
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

zt6kxt41@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-4 18:52
Samrob52....I use the WIFI and put my phone in airplane mode and it works great......300 meters aw ...

WiFi/Cellular is not required, but it will be eventually if you want to live stream to YouTube.
2015-5-4
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

I'd like to know also how to cache images from the map.  I can see getting on wifi and zooming in to all areas I want to go to in my neighborhood.  But,  I have a farm about 2 hours from home.   Do I just go to that location and zoom in all areas I want to fly?   Is this how it's done?
It would be nice to add a square of all the locations I want to fly and hit a button to save to cache.
2015-5-4
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should do your first connections and updates while in a wireless network so the app and other stuff can update itself and so you can register with DJI.
You can also cache the maps in google then.

After that, you can fly anywhere (inside the cached maps area, which is up to 50KM) without wireless or cellular.
2015-5-4
Use props
jeff.wyman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3194669 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-4 23:29
You should do your first connections and updates while in a wireless network so the app and other st ...

Thanks for that response drone.flyers, it makes the issue perfectly clear.
2015-5-4
Use props
zt6kxt41
lvl.2

United States

vmp Posted at 2015-5-4 21:30
WiFi/Cellular is not required, but it will be eventually if you want to live stream to YouTube.

true but no live streaming YET
2015-5-4
Use props
zt6kxt41
lvl.2

United States

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-4 20:02
Why do you need Wifi ?

Just incase it takes off hopefully it will come home.....They may need to add WIFI with the lightbright to there drones...maybe
2015-5-4
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

You only need the Data connection (WiFi, 3/4G/LTE) to download the app and Activate Aircraft
2015-5-4
Use props
Mikey14
lvl.3

United States

How do I download the app thought the DJI website in stead of the playstore? Thanks
2015-5-7
Use props
Lurvis
lvl.2

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-4 23:29
You should do your first connections and updates while in a wireless network so the app and other st ...

How do you cache the maps off google?
2015-5-8
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

chrisongtj Posted at 2015-5-4 19:12
Hi Autumn,

Is there a way to save the maps to app? Eg download maps at home then go out to fly. I ...

Yes.  There is an option in the settings to cache the map.  You can connect your device to WiFi or Cell and then load the map.  Then when you go outside with the Wifi/cell turned off it will show the cached map.
2015-5-8
Use props
FlyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106483 ft
Belgium

If you are using an iPad you can always use your iPhone as a personal hotspot. In this case the iPad gets connected to the internet via your phone. Works fine for me. No need to buy a cellular iPad.
2015-5-8
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

If you have an iPad...  You need to be aware that iPads without cellular do NOT have a GPS chip.  So the future dynamic home position feature will only work on iPads with the cellular & GPS chip.  The WiFi iPads will not let you use the dynamic home position feature.

All iPhones DO have the GPS.
2015-5-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lurvis Posted at 2015-5-8 22:40
How do you cache the maps off google?

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3273567?hl=en
2015-5-8
Use props
kazam
New

United States

Can I use a Ipad Mini (not Mini 2) with wifi for Pro3?
2016-5-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

kazam@roadrunne Posted at 2016-5-2 09:06
Can I use a Ipad Mini (not Mini 2) with wifi for Pro3?

Nope,k it does not have a powerful enough processor. You need a Mini 2 at least.
2016-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules