Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Having problems setting up my new Spark
1433 19 2018-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
graywoulf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28130 ft
United States

Greetings to all,

I got my new Spark yesterday and honestly, I am so confused at what to do first. All of my attempts to register my Spark and download the first updates has failed. Is there a step by step tutorial that would lead me through the process that I can view? I have tried all of the suggestions and watched many videos on YouTube but I am apparently missing something about the process. I mainly need to know what to turn on first and the following steps as well as what needs to be connected via WiFi or internet and so forth. Please throw an old dog a bone here. I would be most appreciative.
2018-3-3
Use props
SkyBug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

Everyone is different but I start with turning on the rc then the ac then go to WiFi and find your spark
2018-3-3
Use props
BeastMaster_101
First Officer
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

SkyBug Posted at 2018-3-3 13:51
Everyone is different but I start with turning on the rc then the ac then go to WiFi and find your spark

This is all after you register the AC. What I do is turn on my Wi-FI first then when I turn on RC, it connects automatically, then the craft then it all syncs up and is ready.
2018-3-3
Use props
Ram-UK
Captain
Flight distance : 764806 ft
United Kingdom

Please check this link. There are lots of video tutorials from DJI and others. I struggled a bit and followed their tutorials. Hope it helps!

2018-3-4
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
United States

Thanks guy for the suggestions and comments. I did finally get everything going. I was overlooking turning on the WiFi in the Spark itself. I will say though that the process of setting up needs to be more defined in the DJI tutorial series. The video above is a good general overview but is lacking in the details such as what I just mentioned. I never would have thought that of all the videos I have watched would there not be a tutorial that was a definitive step by step tutorial either printed or by video offered. Thanks again.
2018-3-4
Use props
Nancy SEO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434849 ft
United States

Agreed, it took me a solid week of frustration to get the initial set up going. My biggest problem was all my spare batteries weren't updated, and it was six days after I bought them that they FINALLY worked with the app and updated. I was about to tear my hair out, and I seriously questioned why I wanted one of these things. Now everything is running great and I'm practicing getting comfortable with the machine. I so wish these things could fly safely over water because I live on the Chesapeake Bay and would love to shoot videos of cow nose ray schools, fish, my friends out kayaking, etc. But at the same time, I don't want to lose the damned thing by being stupid.
2018-3-4
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
United States

I don't know when I will actually get this thing in the air as I keep running into issues. All the confusion on what needs to be connected to what and when is a pain. I guess that I have both batteries updated now that you mention it but I am not sure. Right now, I cannot get the IMU to calibrate. I figure I have a lot more to learn first. Prior experience flying non GPS quads did not prepare me for this adventure though.
2018-3-4
Use props
Mullheliflier
Captain
Flight distance : 7877047 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you find someone near you who could give you a hand? It makes the learning curve a lot easier. It is also good to share the hobby and experiences with someone.
2018-3-4
Use props
midwest Mike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21841 ft
United States

Nancy SEO Posted at 2018-3-4 11:45
Agreed, it took me a solid week of frustration to get the initial set up going. My biggest problem was all my spare batteries weren't updated, and it was six days after I bought them that they FINALLY worked with the app and updated. I was about to tear my hair out, and I seriously questioned why I wanted one of these things. Now everything is running great and I'm practicing getting comfortable with the machine. I so wish these things could fly safely over water because I live on the Chesapeake Bay and would love to shoot videos of cow nose ray schools, fish, my friends out kayaking, etc. But at the same time, I don't want to lose the damned thing by being stupid.

I have thought that if I was going to do some over water flying I would make some floats that would not hinder the props but would keep the gimbal  out of the water in case of a water landing.
2018-3-4
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
United States

Mullheliflier Posted at 2018-3-4 14:46
Can you find someone near you who could give you a hand? It makes the learning curve a lot easier. It is also good to share the hobby and experiences with someone.

That is a great suggestion and I did think of that but where I live, there is hardly a chance of finding someone else. I am certainly going to try though.
2018-3-4
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
United States

midwest Mike Posted at 2018-3-4 16:18
I have thought that if I was going to do some over water flying I would make some floats that would not hinder the props but would keep the gimbal  out of the water in case of a water landing.

If you are serious about making water landings then take a look at the landing gear I found on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-SPA ... 738.m4383.l4275.c10
2018-3-4
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
United States

I am happy and proud to say that I did a maiden flight this evening. A very short flight as is was already dark. I just flew at about six feet and did a few rotations then I flew out about twelve feet or so and back to a safe and soft landing. There was a slight breeze but my Spark performed beautifully. I am looking forward to giving it a good trial run tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help.
2018-3-4
Use props
Mullheliflier
Captain
Flight distance : 7877047 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well done! You are going to have a lot of fun!
2018-3-4
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
United States

Mullheliflier Posted at 2018-3-4 23:09
Well done! You are going to have a lot of fun!

Thank you! And I can guarantee that you are right about the fun.
2018-3-4
Use props
DJI Elektra
Administrator
China

graywoulf Posted at 2018-3-4 17:48
I am happy and proud to say that I did a maiden flight this evening. A very short flight as is was already dark. I just flew at about six feet and did a few rotations then I flew out about twelve feet or so and back to a safe and soft landing. There was a slight breeze but my Spark performed beautifully. I am looking forward to giving it a good trial run tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help.

Have a nice flight! Please read our user manual carefully before flight, I would recommend you do a pre-flight check before flight.
pre flight.PNG
2018-3-5
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-5 02:07
Have a nice flight! Please read our user manual carefully before flight, I would recommend you do a pre-flight check before flight.

Thank you for that checklist. I did do all of that before I flew my Spark. I am not taking any chances with my investment and I was just a bit anxious to see it fly. The whole flight lasted less than 3 minutes. But, I do appreciate that you took the time to give me the list.
2018-3-5
Use props
chorn1966
lvl.4
Flight distance : 520512 ft
United States

graywoulf Posted at 2018-3-5 09:20
Thank you for that checklist. I did do all of that before I flew my Spark. I am not taking any chances with my investment and I was just a bit anxious to see it fly. The whole flight lasted less than 3 minutes. But, I do appreciate that you took the time to give me the list.

I would recommend staying out of sport mode over water. Almost all fly-away's and crashes are in sport mode. the spark doesn't like it for some reason. I feel safe flying PGPS but NOT in sport mode. I'm not saying that EVERY crash/fly-away is in that mode but, a lot are.
2018-3-5
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
United States

chorn1966 Posted at 2018-3-5 10:31
I would recommend staying out of sport mode over water. Almost all fly-away's and crashes are in sport mode. the spark doesn't like it for some reason. I feel safe flying PGPS but NOT in sport mode. I'm not saying that EVERY crash/fly-away is in that mode but, a lot are.

Good advice. Even though I have flown toy grade drones for nearly three years, I have no intentions to try sport mode any time soon. And the thought of flying over water scares the crap out of me. At least until I get really used to my Spark. I love your avatar by the way.
2018-3-5
Use props
chorn1966
lvl.4
Flight distance : 520512 ft
United States

graywoulf Posted at 2018-3-5 10:53
Good advice. Even though I have flown toy grade drones for nearly three years, I have no intentions to try sport mode any time soon. And the thought of flying over water scares the crap out of me. At least until I get really used to my Spark. I love your avatar by the way.

Thanks, I was afraid I would offend someone. but, NADDA. lol
2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
Administrator
China

graywoulf Posted at 2018-3-5 09:20

You are welcome. I believe that you will become a good pilot. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules